I agree with the District Attorney
39 57%
Other/Different take on it
3 4%
I'm not sure
8 12%
Voters: 69.
Page 1 of 2
This is from an episode of Law & Order: Criminal Intent, where detectives needed to get information from a website about a murder, so they had a case to get a plea bargain from the owner of this website, blah blah blah:

So there's a fictional website called "Terminal Decision." It has a list of ways and places in New York where you can commit suicide, the addresses of certain places, schedules of a lot of stuff like when a train will be passing through a certain intersection (it doesn't post anything illegal in terms of security like private information).

So there was a case with the owner who ran the website (he either had to take down the website, or offer the detectives some certain information from his website chatroom to help them with a certain investigation), and he said he basically wasn't doing anything wrong, it's people's right to die if they want to and he just offers them methods of doing so.

So the District Attorney says to the jury something along the lines of "this website doesn't offer any other alternatives to suicide, such as a hotline number, places to help people, etc. If you see a man suffering or dying on the road, it's your responsibility to offer help."

Anyways, The Pit, if you were part of that jury, what would be your take on this?
Last edited by The Madcap at May 21, 2010,
Dang I haven't watched Criminal Intent in a while.

EDIT: Oh and I'm not really sure; probably more inclined toward the district attorney.
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Last edited by Callum89 at May 21, 2010,
I'll be honest. When I saw the thread title, I thought a Pit regular had committed suicide. Gave me a nice scare there. I would agree with the defense though. He didn't make anyone do anything. If someone is at the point where they would visit a site like that, what do you think the chances are that they would call a hotline?
Quote by CoreysMonster
I would kill myself for being on such a stupid TV show.

**** you.

i'm with jack mccoy on this one btw. wooooo!

#DTWD
The owner should be able to post this stuff however it should also try talking people out of it with hotline numbers etc
I agree with District Attorney

This wouldn't even be able to exist in real life. I'd be against it. Suicide is one thing, but giving people an extra push in the wrong direction is just wrong.
District Attorney.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by SeEsAw12
The website owner is free to do what he wants but he is a dick.

+1
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I am 110% on the side of the website owner. I believe that human rights include the right to take your own life. Hence why I think it is bullshit that suicide is even illegal. Which is just plain retarded anyways.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by The Madcap
Hmm, I'm actually surprised by the poll results.

Me as well. Knowing the overwhelmingly libertarian bias of The Pit, I am indeed surprised.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by itchy guitar
I am 110% on the side of the website owner. I believe that human rights include the right to take your own life. Hence why I think it is bullshit that suicide is even illegal. Which is just plain retarded anyways.

While I don't agree with you on someone has the right to take their own life I agree with the website owner.

He's not breaking any laws, he's just a douche bag that should rot in hell.
If people are in such a mental state that they feel that the only solution is to end their lives, then they're in no such mental state to make a rational decision. That's maybe a bit of a blanket statement, as there may be some cases where they may be in a rational state of mind (e.g. some euthanasia situations). However, in this case, it's a bunch of very depressed/possible mentally ill people who've hit the end of their tether.

The website owner is encouraging irrational decisions, and causing a lot of people to take their own lives unnecessarily, and also causing severe emotional distress to the friends and relatives of the suicide victim.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
I believe every person has a right to end their life when they wants. But I also believe it is everyones duty to help those in need when they've been seen. For example: Man face down flat in the street. We can't assume he's committed suicide, so we should help them. We should also try to stop people committing suicide at any time we see it. But if they're convicted to doing it, we should let them.

But of course if I'm emotionally attached to them they cannot because it's a completelly different set of rules.
At the end of the day, the guy who owns the website can do whatever he wants, and its a persons own choice to commit suicide.

If i was on the jury, i would vote that he give the police the information that they need.
Quote by SeEsAw12
While I don't agree with you on someone has the right to take their own life I agree with the website owner.

He's not breaking any laws, he's just a douche bag that should rot in hell.

Why would someone not have the right to take their own life? Its a personal decision to do so and I think the government should have no say in personal matters such as that.
Quote by MakinLattes
Quote by itchy guitar

Although I do agree with this I do think everyone should receive counselling and general help if they indicate signs of suicide. If after all of that they still feel the same way they should be offered the lethal injection of impending doom.

Quote by BeefWellington
If people are in such a mental state that they feel that the only solution is to end their lives, then they're in no such mental state to make a rational decision. That's maybe a bit of a blanket statement, as there may be some cases where they may be in a rational state of mind (e.g. some euthanasia situations).
Yeah, I wouldn't make such a huge statement to say that people who are suicidal, excluding a situation like a terminal illness, are inherently irrational. That's pretty damn hard to prove.
In the United States you have the Right to Life. This isn't just the right to have a beating heart, but its also the right to endanger your life if you so choose. This is one reason why skydiving is legal.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Website owner.

He is only providing information.

It isn't his responsibility what others do with it, and he is in no way obligated to provide any alternatives or hotlines.

The entire concept of this show is idiotic.

If they're going to argue he has an obligation, then they might as well argue that every fast food restaurant has an obligation to tell you not to eat their crappy food. Its up to the individual to decide on eating it(committing suicide), and those trying to provide the goods(information) are not liable for their what comes as a result unless they misrepresent their products.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by metal_al73
Although I do agree with this I do think everyone should receive counselling and general help if they indicate signs of suicide. If after all of that they still feel the same way they should be offered the lethal injection of impending doom.

And indeed they should receive counseling and get any help they need. But as for the website scenario, I think it is akin to the drug thread, for example. In there, users help people perform illegal acts, but the thread itself is not illegal.
Quote by MakinLattes
I dont think the government has a right to force you to live if you dont want to
PM me for newts
Actually there are websites out there that show grisly photos of the results of suicide both successful and unsuccessful. It also lists posts from real people who either didn't succeed the first time or are planning to try, along with methods and their lasting effects if you get it wrong.

I personally agree with the person who said anyone looking these sites up are probably past the point of calling a hotline. And if the man's website would be required to offer a hot line number should the suicide prevention sites be required to offer advice on the option of suicide. If someone wants a number they know where to look. I disagree with him suggesting public places and train times since kids and families could be there and that's not cool.
There is nothing definably wrong with the website - it's just a source of information. You wouldn't try and close the boy scouts website because it shows how to tie nooses.

If someone was dying in the street you're not "legally" obliged to help them - most people would, but there is no reason why you 'have' to.

If he is withholding potentially important information which was made in some way public on his website then he is doing something wrong though. If information which can help to solve a crime is being deliberately kept from the police that does seem like an offence.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by CoreysMonster
I would kill myself for being on such a stupid TV show.

Jeff Goldblum does not care about your opinion!

OT: I agree with the DA
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by doive
If someone was dying in the street you're not "legally" obliged to help them - most people would, but there is no reason why you 'have' to.

Actually, you are. In the USA at least.
PM me for newts
Quote by doive
If someone was dying in the street you're not "legally" obliged to help them
I think there are some places in the U.S. where you are.
Quote by rock.freak667
Jeff Goldblum does not care about your opinion!

OT: I agree with the DA
Pfft, I quit watching that show once Vincent D'Onofrio and Kathryn Erbe left.
Quote by The Madcap

I stopped watching CI after the guy with the eyepatch left
Quote by The Madcap

Quote by darkcheef
I stopped watching CI after the guy with the eyepatch left

I like Jeff Goldblum
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
So you guys are all saying CI sucks? Now that the original is canceled, I need more. I watch SVU, and I think they'll be making and LA version, but until then I'll probably watch CI? So is it any good?
I'm not a fan of CI, most of the time they show who did the crime and they have no ADA since the black guy left. Those parts are my favorite parts of Law and Order, so I don't watch CI
Quote by GRiMM94
So you guys are all saying CI sucks? Now that the original is canceled, I need more. I watch SVU, and I think they'll be making and LA version, but until then I'll probably watch CI? So is it any good?
Criminal Intent with Vincent D'Onofrio is the only CI I watch. He's an amazing character actor, and his character is really interesting. But I don't like the episodes with Chris Noth or Jeff Goldblum.
Can you name some of these places? Just curious.

In a medical class I took at the healthcare facility where I work we were told that even if you are a licensed nurse you DO NOT have to help someone if you don't want to even if some old guy starts choking right in front of you in a restaurant. It's too risky with all the possibly infected bodily fluids you could come in contact with.

Think about it if I decide to perform mouth to mouth on some stranger and they are (unknown to me) infected with AIDS they could die anyway and now I've just caught myself a shiny new case of AIDS! Even with a mouth barrier between us.

Our instructor DID say that once you start life-saving measures (CPR) on someone you are required to continue until EMS arrives.
Couldn't they get the owner of the website for assisted suicide? As long as they could prove someone who killed themselves used the site (and considering it had chat rooms and other such things, evidence would surely be there), I am pretty sure that would fly. Just sayin'.

I'm going to go watch this show, sounds really awesome.
I think he should have had the hot-lines/numbers for help up too. Other than that, meh.
Page 1 of 2