Just got a Bad Monkey to boost my amps overdrive (Blackstar HT-5) and it sounds great. However, when putting the reverb after it in the effects chain the reverb (Behringer DR-100) sounds really messed up, i have to have the setting on it dialed all the way down just so it doesn't sound completely retarded, it's hard to describe how it sounds. The reverb is a pretty cheap one, but sounded good on its own in front of the amp, but want to combine both these effects. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm using it all in front of the amp, not in the fx loop btw.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Put the monkey before the amp and the reverb in the fx loop.

With both before the amp, the boost is going into the reverb which in turn is going into the amps preamp section which is then being distorted and then amplified by the power section.

Hence distorted reverb which would sound like mud.

With just the monkey in front, you get the boost into the preamp, therefore the desired distortion sound, then the fx loop, which adds the reverb to the distorted sound, then the power section which amplifies the total sound (unless there is power tube saturation, then well... something else happens.)
Last edited by irnmadn88 at May 21, 2010,
thankyou, that's what i thought the problem was, just needed clarification. What it don't get it, for amps without fx loops how would they not get this reverb problem?
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Quote by robbo546hall
thankyou, that's what i thought the problem was, just needed clarification. What it don't get it, for amps without fx loops how would they not get this reverb problem?

I use a non master volume Sovtek Mig 50... and use a rack Chandler Tube Overdrive into an old DOD r-845 rack spring reverb unit with nice results. I get my distortion from the Chandler which is acting as a preamp, then the reverb into the amp. Essentially, the amp is running clean, meaning no preamp distortion from the amp itself, thus rendering the amp head just a power amp.

I'd imagine the basis for anyone else is the same.

Dirt box > reverb > clean amp.
Quote by irnmadn88
I use a non master volume Sovtek Mig 50... and use a rack Chandler Tube Overdrive into an old DOD r-845 rack spring reverb unit with nice results. I get my distortion from the Chandler which is acting as a preamp, then the reverb into the amp. Essentially, the amp is running clean, meaning no preamp distortion from the amp itself, thus rendering the amp head just a power amp.

I'd imagine the basis for anyone else is the same.

Dirt box > reverb > clean amp.

thanks, it's all making sense now
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Quote by robbo546hall
You either run the amp clean and get your distortion from pedals w/ reverb in front, get your distortion from the amp and like it dry, or put the reverb in front and get da funky tonez.