Like always, I'm on Craigslist and came across this last night..
http://nh.craigslist.org/msg/1751367140.html
It's a Dean VMNTX, listed at $150. I asked what's the lowest they'd take, and got a reply of $100. I'm in an attempt to haggle down to $80, but if I get a no, should I go ahead and pay $100? I've got it, so money isn't really an issue. I just picked up an LTD H-100 last week for $100 bucks as well, and I've got that for Dropped C/D standard tuning, I figured why not pick this up for standard/dropped D?

It'd be an upgrade from my Epiphone SG Special, obviously.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with this guitar? The reviews I read here aren't the greatest quality..

So I want a more direct opinion from you guys.

Dean VMNTX for $100 bucks. Do it?

EDIT: Money's not an issue. I've got $100 bucks of my own, I'm supported (For the most part) by my grandfather for everything else. I'm only 18.
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at May 21, 2010,
if you have no money then no,

its not worth having a horde of low end guitars if you cant really afford them,

sort the money issue out, then when you can afford itm save up and buy a better guitar that will last you longer.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
dude, those guitars you got aren't really upgrades from your SG special. Also, you have just fixed bridge guitars, you dont really need multiple guitars for mutiple tunings, you can change your tunings easily.

IMO you should stop buying lots of shit guitars and save for something that's actually good.
hello

n.n
Quote by BusterSword
dude, those guitars you got aren't really upgrades from your SG special. Also, you have just fixed bridge guitars, you dont really need multiple guitars for mutiple tunings, you can change your tunings easily.

IMO you should stop buying lots of shit guitars and save for something that's actually good.

The only income I get is when I sell a piece of the gear I already own.

I haven't bought a lot of "sh*t" guitars.. Only guitar I've bought off Craigslist is my LTD. I bought my Epiphone a few years ago. Was the first guitar I bought myself, because it was $150 bucks. Obviously I'll save up for a quality guitar when I have a job and whatnot, but I'm only 18 so I haven't had the chance yet.

Well hell, if all I'll get is criticism, f**k buying that.

EDIT: Well another reason I want to replace the Epiphone is because I plan on giving my Epiphone to my half-brother, he wants to get into playing but he has this piece of trash Ibanez Metal jumpstart guitar. It's horrid. Near unplayable in it's current state. My Epiphone is much better and I'm just going to give it to him.
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at May 21, 2010,
We're not trying to be critical mate,

from what you said you cant afford the guitar, the guitar itself isnt any better than any guitars you have and therefore isnt worth you spending money you could keep and put towards something better in the future.

your guitars arent bad and i am not going to say your wrong for having them if you like them,

but the Dean would really probably be like your SG but with just a differen body.

that is very generous of you if you plan on giving it to him, but why not try and just set it up for him? then sell your sg and have more to put towards a new guitar?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
We're not trying to be critical mate,

from what you said you cant afford the guitar, the guitar itself isnt any better than any guitars you have and therefore isnt worth you spending money you could keep and put towards something better in the future.

your guitars arent bad and i am not going to say your wrong for having them if you like them,

but the Dean would really probably be like your SG but with just a differen body.

that is very generous of you if you plan on giving it to him, but why not try and just set it up for him? then sell your sg and have more to put towards a new guitar?

It's not just the setup. I know how to do mostof that myself. (Intonation, truss rod adjustments.. etc..)
Everything is bad. The frets are worn, rusted, terribly laid in the fretboard. They go off the fretboard on almost everyfret, catch the strings and snap them.. it's just ridiculous how bad this thing really is. He got a dud.. Because I've seen these guitars before and they were fine out of the box. A few friends of mine had them.

No, money's not an issue. The cash that's mine is mine, and can spend on whatever I want, it's cash I made myself by selling things and whatnot. I figured well "Hell, I've got $100 bucks just sittin' here.. why don't I put it to use"
Y'know?
oh yeah i am just as bad with spare cash myself.

well if thats the case then go for it mate, at the end of the day it is your call.

if your going to need a new guitar if you getting rid of the sg then sure, it looks like a great deal and if your going to be happy with it then result!

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
oh yeah i am just as bad with spare cash myself.

well if thats the case then go for it mate, at the end of the day it is your call.

if your going to need a new guitar if you getting rid of the sg then sure, it looks like a great deal and if your going to be happy with it then result!

Well, honestly that's the only reason I would even consider going for this. It's cheap, from what I've heard it's a pretty effective guitar, and my LTD is set on staying in it's current tuning, I have it setup and I'd rather not change the tuning on it so often. I play a lot of music that ranges from Standard to Drop C, so that's why I'd like to one specifically for each pair of tunings I use. One for standard/dropped D, and my LTD is for Dropped C/D standard.

It might sound stupid, but it's just easier instead of re-setting up the same guitar for an alternate tuning. Of course the string gauges I put on these will differ.. I fancy .11-.49 on my LTD, 25.5" scale. My Epi is 24.75", and I also have 11's on it but it's for standard and dropped D.

I'm not sure if I'm going to do this now, you gave plenty of reasonable cons to this..
maybe wait and see if somebody else comes and can find some more positives?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Meh she sold it to someone for $50 bucks an hour ago.. Even though I'd through an offer of $80 and then another offer of $100?

What a smart cookie she was. Oh well. BACK TO THE SEARCH!
Quote by Tom 1.0
bad luck mate

Meh, I'm more on the lookout for a used tube combo anyhow.. just saw the Dean and figured "Well why not.."
DAMN! I would have driven down there for an $80 VMNTX! The neck on that is AMAZING
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.