Page 1 of 23
So who else has experience in 3D art and animation?

Post pics of your projects and stuff and discuss the topic!

So which program do you guys use? I'm a huge Maya fan myself.
I know alot of people prefer 3DS Max, but I for some reason always preferred maya.
I don't have any 3D stuff, but The Pit does need a new general Art Thread.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Only has a hobby. I modelled some shit for a game one of my friends was working on. Not exactly "art", but the closest I have got

I'd love to learn though, but my budget won't allow it.
🙈 🙉 🙊
I used to be able to use Cinema 4D, although I haven't done any 3D animation in a long time.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
I tried to get into 3DSM, but I failed too hard at it.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
I tried to get into 3DSM, but I failed too hard at it.

sounds kinky

Quote by entity0009
Only has a hobby. I modelled some shit for a game one of my friends was working on. Not exactly "art", but the closest I have got

I'd love to learn though, but my budget won't allow it.

believe me, learning to model is nothing but practice. there are tons of great forums out there with tons of useful tips, you don't need any of those stupid "character modelling" books that are out there.

I had nothing to do with this pic, but it's awesome.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by CoreysMonster

believe me, learning to model is nothing but practice. there are tons of great forums out there with tons of useful tips, you don't need any of those stupid "character modelling" books that are out there.

I didn't mean books and stuff, I know a whole load of great tutorials, but it's the software aspect of it. I don't like pirating software, so I stick to free stuff, which tends to either have less available tutorials or an uncomfortable interface.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by entity0009
I didn't mean books and stuff, I know a whole load of great tutorials, but it's the software aspect of it. I don't like pirating software, so I stick to free stuff, which tends to either have less available tutorials or an uncomfortable interface.

blendermuch?
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by entity0009

seriously, try out Blender.

There's even a movie that was made with blender, i think it's called "Elephant's Dream" or something and it looks FANTASTIC.
Quote by CoreysMonster
seriously, try out Blender.

There's even a movie that was made with blender, i think it's called "Elephant's Dream" or something and it looks FANTASTIC.

Wasn't big buck bunny made with blender?
Quote by Gyroscope
I've been using Blender for a long time and it's so much more comfortable than 3ds max.

Different strokes...
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by Slicer666
blendermuch?

I've tried my hand with blender, many times, but there's something that just doesn't click. I can do basics and shit but I don't feel as comfortable as in other programs.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by Gyroscope
Is there any competent max users here? I need help.

I know a fair bit of Max, what do you need?
Quote by CoreysMonster
I know a fair bit of Max, what do you need?

I did some extruding, some bridge filling, and when I try to unwrap it, it's all screwed up.

Like if I select certain faces at a time, and go to 'flatten UV' or whatever, it unwraps it fine, but when I try to move it, one of the vertexes stays in the corner.

STL check is showing a bunch of errors too. How do I fix them?

EDIT: So I fixed that.

Do you know how to set it so everything I unwrap has a certain texture density?
Last edited by Gyroscope at May 21, 2010,
The Only 3D "art" I've made was a giant penis in google sketchup. Me and my friend are going to make a bunch and post them all over google earth over famous landmarks.
I used to do some prop modeling for a game called crimson crow,

Buildings,

CC,

Warehouse, Roffle & CO. U C Whut i did thar?

Croc, Just for fun.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Quote by Gyroscope
I did some extruding, some bridge filling, and when I try to unwrap it, it's all screwed up.

Like if I select certain faces at a time, and go to 'flatten UV' or whatever, it unwraps it fine, but when I try to move it, one of the vertexes stays in the corner.

STL check is showing a bunch of errors too. How do I fix them?

EDIT: So I fixed that.

Do you know how to set it so everything I unwrap has a certain texture density?

phew, sorry man, that goes beyond my knowledge, I have no idea.

Textures always were very confusing to me in MaX
I dabble occasionally

Just a little model I was asked to do at work.

One in my spare time. Modelling is ok, but I think I wanna get more into the animation side of things. I might post up a link in a bit of some character studies I'm doing.
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

Quote by CoreysMonster
^ how'd you get the reflection on the metal in the "heater" pic?

It was done using an HDRI image, it's makes metallic reflections look slightly more realistic

edit: Before anyone points it out, I know that it's should be "HDR image", rather than re-iterating the image twice!
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

Last edited by rworsl at May 22, 2010,
I prefer maya. It's just so easy to use!
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

blender is horrible, I hate using it.

As difficult as Maya and 3DS Max are, once you get into them, they're really easy.

Blender, on the other hand, is cumbersome as shit.
Quote by CoreysMonster
blender is horrible, I hate using it.

As difficult as Maya and 3DS Max are, once you get into them, they're really easy.

Blender, on the other hand, is cumbersome as shit.

I think it's the other way around, actually. Blender is really hard to learn (because it relies almost entirely on hotkeys instead of menus), but it's fast as shit once you get used to it. But the new version, 2.5, seems a lot more intuitive and is just all around badass anyway.

Edit: So there! *slap*
Last edited by Jackintehbox at May 22, 2010,
Quote by Jackintehbox
I think it's the other way around, actually. Blender is really hard to learn (because it relies almost entirely on hotkeys instead of menus), but it's fast as shit once you get used to it. But the new version, 2.5, seems a lot more intuitive and is just all around badass anyway.

really? I haven't looked at it yet.
I'll have to check it out.
Quote by CoreysMonster
really? I haven't looked at it yet.
I'll have to check it out.

It's still in alpha so it's a little buggy and some of the tools are missing, but it's still great.
It's so badass that it's the industry standard!

*harder slap*
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

Quote by rworsl
It's so badass that it's the industry standard!

*harder slap*

Yeah, well...like....whatever!
damn, you guys are good at this

and I thought I was special for having a job in CGI, you guys could kick my ass at this.
Matt, watch out for stretched textures on the front of that amp
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

Quote by rworsl
Matt, watch out for stretched textures on the front of that amp

It's meant to be wood grain - it was never actually a texture image. I'm failing to remember what I actually used to achieve it... But it was by no means an accurate/effecient texture job I think the tolex leather effect could do with scaling down a bit too. Actually, the whole image could be vastly improve, thinking about it!
maya, mudbox, humanIK and motionbuilder FTW.

Actually, autodesk generally ftw
If its Illegal to Rock N Roll.........Throw my Ass in Jail!

Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha yes I recognize you mate!

Damnit, I dropped CGI some years ago cause of CBA.

Seeing you guys do this awesome shit I really wanna get back at it
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
yeah I have done a little. i want to do more. i use lightwave. here is a quick render of a couple of scenes i am working on.

Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
ramp up the anti-aliasing!!!!!
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!