So I was playing my guitar on the clean channel of my fender frontman 25r yesterday when i noticed some buzzing. I hit the switch on my ProCo Rat (it has no LED) because it almost sounded like distortion. After hitting the switch and the sound got more distorted i knew that it was already on clean. I then plugged my guitar into the amp directly. The buzzing sounded like it was coming from the amp itself, like a loose bolt or something. So I plugged in some headphones. The buzzing persisted. I tried a couple of different cables and the buzzing was still present. So I figured that the problem is definitely coming from my guitar.

The only thing I can think of is the fret buzz being amplified. Problem is, my guitar has always had a little fret buzz but I never heard it coming through the amp like this. I also noticed that day that when I switched to my neck pickup the volume seemed lower than normal so I thought maybe it's an electrical problem from within the guitar. But i contradicted myself when I plugged in my other guitar and still heard the (what sounded like mechanical, not feedback) buzzing. Granted this guitar also has a little fret buzz but it's pretty much inaudible unplugged. But again, this had never been a problem before.

Also, it can't be the buzzing getting worse because of a climate change because not only has the weather here remained the same, but the second guitar I used is made of a composite so climate changes wouldn't affect it.

Any and all help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Is it that nobody knows the answer or rather that nobody has bothered to read my question yet?
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
try heightening the action of your guitar

High Action- Hard to get used to but little to no fret buzz
Low Action- Easy playing but expect a lot of buzzing

It might be uneven fret leveling, check the frets where the buzzing is occuring
I can't really tell where the frets are buzzing at, that's part of the problem. Also, that doesn't explain why the buzzing was so sudden. I don't want to adjust the action on a floyd rose guitar to find out that action isn't the problem because intonating it is a bitch.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
It could be the springs in the back vibrating, it is a Floyd after all.
Though i have a Floyd I am one not to dabble in Locking Tremolos,

plus my heavy string usage renders most Tremolos useless anyway

could be the pickups resonating (the screws that is) as do higher end guitars do have foam behind pickups to prevent things as such.

I doubt this is a fret buzz situation
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at May 21, 2010,
So a solution for those above problems might be? Throw some foam behind the pickups perhaps and maybe cotton balls inside the tremolo springs? I know that the frets are buzzing somewhat, but it is pretty minimal.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Polystant
So a solution for those above problems might be? Throw some foam behind the pickups perhaps and maybe cotton balls inside the tremolo springs? I know that the frets are buzzing somewhat, but it is pretty minimal.

Just what you said in fact i believe there are specialized foam bars for those made just for spring and pickup cavities.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Alright thanks, I'm doing that right now (I've got a couple strips of foam from old packaging that looks like it will work nicely). And if that doesn't work?
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Polystant
Alright thanks, I'm doing that right now (I've got a couple strips of foam from old packaging that looks like it will work nicely). And if that doesn't work?

Hmm well id first tighten up all screws regardless, and check out any onther existing hardware such as things beyond the nut, (tuners etc)

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Alright thanks, I did that with both guitars and it fixed it. It's so odd that they both needed it at the same time and there was an immediate change overnight but that did the job.

Only problem is that on my Switch guitar, there is only one humbucking pickup (with coil tap). When I have it switched to the single coil mode, everything is fine and dandy but when it is humbucking mode there is a crackling noise on every note (It sounds almost like a dirty pot but that isn't possible because I'm not touching the pots and it only happens on the humbucking mode). Just wondering if you might be able to help with this as well.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Last edited by Polystant at May 21, 2010,
Well what do you know. I was playing yesterday and all was fine and I was jamming a little this morning and all was well but I put down my guitar for an hour, came back, fiddled with my effects a little, and when I turned them all off again the problem came back with the buzzing on Ibanez RG.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser