Page 1 of 35
7/22/10 - as of the newest update, guilds under 25 members receive a bonus to all the guild renown that they earn. i was earning 4 extra renown for every 5 that i earned.

consequently, every member that was over 1 month inactive has been removed from the guild to allow us to be under 25 members. this does not mean that anyone that has been removed is 'kicked' from the guild, rather we are only trying to take advantage of this bonus in order to get as much renown as we can.

anyone that has been removed is able to ask for re-admittance to the guild at anytime, and will be readmitted promptly.

ive been playing the free-to-play MMO 'Dungeons and Dragons Online' lately, and have just unlocked enough points to purchase a guild charter. ive also been saving up weapons and armors for different classes to give out during the creation of a guild. we will call our guild "The Lords of UG" and will play on the 'Sarlona' server.

compared to an MMO like WoW, its the same in a lot of ways. actual game-play and environment interaction is just about exactly the same. where DDO differs, is when it comes to the process of grinding and building skills. in DDO, you do not receive XP for each NPC that you kill. rather, you only receive XP for completing quests. so basically, the 'grind' in DDO is what running dungeons are in WoW (which i always felt was the best part). DDO is more party based, as you can choose the level of difficulty for each quest; the higher the difficulty the better loot/more XP you receive. if you want to solo a quest, you just run it at a lower difficulty.

in terms of community, DDO is loads better than WoW ever was. the 'Sarlona' server is the role-play server and contains a very mature community. you don't get many annoying little kids or people that just want to argue and flame each other. its a very relaxed atmosphere and people are generally courteous and willing to help each other out.

this is a link to a DDO wiki that explains the different classes you can choose from: http://ddowiki.com/page/Barbarian. for the purposes of questing together, each group will need a cleric, a rouge, and a tank (a barbarian or fighter) in order to be successful, and the other classes to provide party balance. chose your race carefully, as they all have different stats and some are better suited to some classes than others.

this is the official index for the game: http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Compendium_Home

if youre interested, you can download the game from the Dungeons and Dragons online website and sign up for an account there. if there is enough interest in this, ill start a group dedicated to this guild, and we will organize things from there.

here are a few screenshots i found online to show you what the game looks like:

Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Last edited by NoLaurelTree000 at Jul 22, 2010,
EDIT - this list is months outdated. i gave up trying to keep up with this a long time ago. most of these people have gone inactive since.

once you make a character, please post the character's name in this thread so we can see which character belongs to which UG user. ill also use this to send you guild invites (or you can message me in-game).

Barbarian:
1) Pomegranate Deathkill - HailSlaytan
2) Craigo - Craigo
3) Haln Turon - UntilISleep

Bard:
1) Mrabit Atridus - MrFndr
2) HermanKarton de ultieme fapkoning - Will-kun
3) BonFyre - Chasing_Strange
4) Glaon Rockthall - timbit2006

Cleric:
1) Aidler Mournbringer - NoLaurelTree000
2) Quoneirous Strivelyn - mental_zer0
3) Pokemans - slayer_zero
4) Kjellsai Gaeflo - Kensai
5) Zettabyte - Kilobyte

Favored Soul (Needs to be unlocked):
1)
2)
3)

Fighter:
1) Arthasbob Vorhees - FrehleyCarr
2) HappySmash - +}-136-{+
3) Nathac Manslayer - cho0onger
4) Scrolllock - skaterkevin87

Monk (Needs to be unlocked):
1)
2)
3)

Paladin:
1) Ruher Ironfirst - TheInnovater
2) Negar - Rojam
3) Vilehand Doombringer - frozen_soul

Ranger:
1) Eryolk Mournbringer - NoLaurelTree000
2) Oroborous - DimebagLivesOn
3) Aphelron - ThePhantomLord
4) Cedill Busskel - Green_Guitar
5) Ximperatorx - fatslash
6) Boreamor AbKo - Boreamor
7) Kowald Tier - Kivarenn82

Rouge:
1) Durghz - Dirge Humani
2) Eladrean Shadewalker - ThePhantomLord
3) Gattesby - Fishylazer

Sorcerer:
1) Vaive Atoish - SaintsofNowhere
2) Alrial - breadstick
3)

Wizard:
1) Jarisleif - Garret.
2) Gedin Lee - Jusman
3) RamEssy - BelowZero
4) moonlapse - Hellish_Wolf
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Last edited by NoLaurelTree000 at Nov 4, 2010,
Is this game actually any good? I have played ALOT of table top D&D but i've never tried this.
I havn't changed this thing in a year.

I LOVE GIANT YELLOW TEXT!
glad to see there is some interest

Quote by wowsux
Is this game actually any good? I have played ALOT of table top D&D but i've never tried this.

so far ive enjoyed this game more than ive enjoyed playing WoW or LOTR online. the whole game is based on the D&D game-play systems. weapons have stats like 1d6 and you get saves and all that jazz. its much more in-depth, and character customization seems to be higher than most other MMOs or RPGs. that coupled with the better community, and DDO is one of the better MMOs that ive played.

plus the graphics are pretty good and not cheesy like you'd expect from a free game.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Last edited by NoLaurelTree000 at May 21, 2010,
Quote by Dirge Humani
Free you say? Sure, I have a summer to kill.

Same
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by epiless
i might give this a shot, how big is the download, I only have satelite internet

i dont remember off the top of my head, but i think a little over 3gigs?

Quote by Dirge Humani
Turbine made LOTRO too, right? Because I liked that a whole lot...

yes they did. they've done a nice job with both games. i never played more than the LOTRO trial because i wanted to get away from the pay-to-play MMOs though.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Quote by Dirge Humani
I'll probably make a rogue, BTW.

cool. after level 2 or 3, most quests have atleast one trap that a rouge needs to disarm, and you'll run into a lot of locked doors and chests. rouges become just as essential to parties as healers and tanks.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
It sounds like it would be fun, but I'm already invested time-wise in WoW.

Have been tempted to give it a look-in since it became free-to-play though.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Looks interesting, I'll try it out but I've never played DnD in any form before so it may take me a while to understand everything.
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
Quote by Garret.
Looks interesting, I'll try it out but I've never played DnD in any form before so it may take me a while to understand everything.

i had only played causally before starting DDO. it was confusing at first, but it starts to make sense fairly quickly. generally, the higher the numbers, the better things are. just try to match the weapons and armor you carry, with the weapons and armor you are specialized in. its fairly straightforward. little warnings show up on the equipment if you cannot equip it, or it you will equip it with a penalty.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
I've been looking for a new MMO, if you've played them, how does this compare to Jade Dynasty or Tales Of Pirates?
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
Quote by Dirge Humani
Less than a minute left on the download...how will I contact you in game?

once you login, you'll have to go through a short intro that shows you the mechanics of gameplay since its your first character. once you get through that, you'll be able to go to 'Koronthos Village'. once you are in Koronthos Village, message me and ill come find you and run you through some quests with my cleric.

to message me, type "/tell Aidler [your message here]" in the chat box. this goes for anyone else trying to get into contact with me. once you guys get to level 2, ill be able to give you guys a lot of free weapons and armor.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
DLing as we speak.
I'm gonna make a Warforged Barbarian. Username is Mrfinkle213
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;
A generation born to witness
The end of the world

Er... n00bish question but, where do I download it?
Yeah, still have over 30 min for mine
The end of the world

Quote by skaterkevin87
I've been looking for a new MMO, if you've played them, how does this compare to Jade Dynasty or Tales Of Pirates?

ive not played those, but ive played other free MMOs. the biggest improvement coming from those to DDO is the graphics. they are on the same caliber as pay-to-play MMOs. overall, the gameplay is more well-rounded, less cheesy, repetitive, or as buggy as free-to-plays can be.

you can actually buy DDO to unlock all the areas of the game and all the races/classes. or you can put a credit on your account and pay for certain aspects that you want. what makes it nice for people looking for free-to-play, is that you can get money credited to your account by playing through the game and unlocking things. thats how i got the guild charter, by playing through and receiving DDO store rewards.

Quote by mrfinkle213
DLing as we speak.
I'm gonna make a Warforged Barbarian. Username is Mrfinkle213

warforged is not a free race. you need to unlock or buy the races of warforged and drow elves and the classes of monk and favored soul.

barbarian is a good pick though, they do the most damage of any class.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Quote by Dirge Humani
Installation is taking quite a while...
http://www.ddo.com/

Oh, lol. I was in the links in the OP. Being tired as I am I accidentally chose "2010" as my date of birth. Now I'm not sure it will let me change that. I'll try to redo it in IE.
Mmmmmmm, how's the character customization? That's a big thing for me.

Also, are the skills/stats systems complex for all the different classes?

Game specs?

Large community?
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
20 minutes left
The end of the world

Quote by NoLaurelTree000
ive not played those, but ive played other free MMOs. the biggest improvement coming from those to DDO is the graphics. they are on the same caliber as pay-to-play MMOs. overall, the gameplay is more well-rounded, less cheesy, repetitive, or as buggy as free-to-plays can be.

you can actually buy DDO to unlock all the areas of the game and all the races/classes. or you can put a credit on your account and pay for certain aspects that you want. what makes it nice for people looking for free-to-play, is that you can get money credited to your account by playing through the game and unlocking things. thats how i got the guild charter, by playing through and receiving DDO store rewards.

warforged is not a free race. you need to unlock or buy the races of warforged and drow elves and the classes of monk and favored soul.

barbarian is a good pick though, they do the most damage of any class.

So there's a pay option, but you can earn the stuff you can pay for just by playing through the game? That's pretty sweet!
Right, registered and downloaded. I'll install the thing tomorrow
I was going to make an Elf Ranger but I see there is already one Ranger in the guild so I'm thinking of making a Wizard/Sorcerer instead. Which is better or more useful, a Wizard or Sorcerer?
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.