I have played the guitar for a while and I've learnt a lot, but iäve always had a problem: tremolo picking while palm muting (or standing up).

I can tremolo pick normally, sitting down and not anchoring, but when i try to palm mute, the pick goes into a bad angle, since tremolo picking requires the side of the hand to be like across the strings and normally when i play it is nearly parallel to the strings.

I have learnt to hold the pick between the thumb and the side of the index finger. This felt really natural and good, no problems until i tried palm muting. Also, it has been recommended as simply the best way to hold the pick. In some guide video in youtube, Paul Gilbert tells to hold the pick like that.
Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpJNUGHxC3M

I can tilt it like he shows in the video, but if i do that, there will be too much pressure on the index finger so upstrokes (while tremolo picking) become impossible.

I know there are other ways to hold the pick but they don't feel very natural to me. Here's a picture of this problem i'm having:

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/4088/guitarpick.jpg
So the question is: should i learn to pick the other way, shown lower on the picture? Even though it doesn't feel natural to me yet.

Please don't post stuff like "it isn't so hard", "lol just hold the pick" or "you have too much time". Any help is welcome since this is quite important to me. You can comment about my paint skills too. I've been making comics and stuff with it a lot so...
I hold the pick and have my arm almost parallel like your first pic and have no trouble muting with the bottom (not the side) of my palm of my picking hand. I don't get what you mean by "tremolo picking requires the side of the hand to be like across the strings"... I can do it just fine parallel.

Just use the bottom of your palm to mute instead of the side.

After further review I guess I hold my arm closer to 30 degrees or so and mute with the bottom corner of my hand, as opposed to parallel and bottom. Since I'm such a nice guy I took some pics..

That's the position I'm in to tremolo mute on the high E and for different strings I just move my entire arm up or down without changing any angles. Can you not do it like this?
Last edited by van01010100 at May 21, 2010,
Quote by van01010100
I hold the pick and have my arm almost parallel like your first pic and have no trouble muting with the bottom (not the side) of my palm of my picking hand. I don't get what you mean by "tremolo picking requires the side of the hand to be like across the strings"... I can do it just fine parallel.

Just use the bottom of your palm to mute instead of the side.

After further review I guess I hold my arm closer to 30 degrees or so and mute with the bottom corner of my hand, as opposed to parallel and bottom. Since I'm such a nice guy I took some pics..

That's the position I'm in to tremolo mute on the high E and for different strings I just move my entire arm up or down without changing any angles. Can you not do it like this?

Sorry i meant to say that palm muting requires the side of the hand to be like across the strings.

Thanks a lot for the advice, I can do that, that's actually what i used to do until i learned that you must have the side of the hand across the strings to palm mute.

But how about when you palm mute 3 string power chords fast using up and down strokes? At least i can't do that without muting with the side of the hand.

And also i think it's harder to play like that when you have to change strings fast since you can only palm mute max. 1-2 strings at the same time (at least i can).

Wouldn't it to be hard to play riffs like this palm muted in that way?
-------33---------
---22----22------
11-----------11--
Quote by asdaas
But how about when you palm mute 3 string power chords fast using up and down strokes? At least i can't do that without muting with the side of the hand.
For that I would use the side of my hand to mute, but at about a 45 degree angle, not parallel to the bridge. I've never heard a song w/ fast up/down palm muted power chords though, usually they're fret muted if anything..

Quote by asdaas
Wouldn't it to be hard to play riffs like this palm muted in that way?
-------33---------
---22----22------
11-----------11--
That gets a little tricky, for that I'd use the first technique and keep the mute 'locked' on the middle string but roll up and down a bit to mute the others.
I dont know what to say
cuz im always confused bout my pick position ...
but its good for whatever im playing ,for now