When I first picked up guitar, which was 2 years ago, was because I wanted to cover songs that I liked in general.
I didn't want write my own stuff or be creative with it, I know some might be frothing at the mouth with that sentence but I indulge my creative in some other ability.

For the past couple, I've been trying learn things which deter me from playing overall. When I sit down and orientate a practice session and strictly cold fretboard technique is when I enjoy the guitar the most. It might piss off other, more fortunate people that like studying modes or learning sheet, but that's not the direction I want to head and would most likely drop guitar.
So now that I've come to this conclusion, my question is what should my focus be on mostly when it comes just to be good at covering songs? What should I eliminate or add?
Sure, I might turn into a lop sided guitarist who can play well, but forgot the notes on a c major scale. But that's ok, it's merely a hobby for me, and I only want to be proficient at playing, in my room, for my ears. I have don't aspirations of anything like playing live or recording
Last edited by supercoolperson at May 21, 2010,
Other than the obvious (playing the right notes and rhythms), the best covers really nail the subtler things like tone, vibrato, note duration, etc, so focus on that stuff I guess? Not really sure what you're asking, if your covers don't sound like the originals figure out why not and fix it.
Just listen to the artists tracks and pickout the things other guitarist usually wouldn't.

How wide is his vibrado, what harmonic is he using there? Tonal qualities, what effects/amps/even the amount of attack he uses.

You could literally study one piece of music for years, there's so much to it.

EDIT: Beaten by Van. xD
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Not to sound condesecending but I don't think you guys read that right.
To summarize, I just want to build skills to learn to play and learn other songs easier.
There is no real easier way to learn new songs other than just sitting down, and practicing them. If you are planning on covering more difficult songs, than you should practice harder techniques. Such as sweeping and such. This way you are learning, and builind new "skills". Sorry if that was not what you were looking for. I didn't quite understand the question.
Quote by supercoolperson
Not to sound condesecending but I don't think you guys read that right.
To summarize, I just want to build skills to learn to play and learn other songs easier.

"my question is what should my focus be on mostly when it comes just to be good at covering songs?"

I answered that. Not to sound condescending but you're not very good at asking questions. 90% of your post had nothing to do with your question
I'm basically asking what kind of exercises I should go on about my daily routine to practice, that dont involve songs. And what exercises I should put my focus into.
Playing good covers involves good imitation of certain dynamics I know, but I'm not asking for a specific. I'm sorry if I sounded misleading.
Sounds like you should practice technique mostly. Search around for Freepower's guides on these forums, and you might want to check Speed Guitar software. It's supposed to improve your overall technique and speed.
Here's how I'd go about it.
1) Learn a song to the point where you can at least play it through beginning to end. It doesn't have to be mistake free or up to tempo at this point.
2) Observe where you are having the most problems - parts that don't sound as good, are more mistake prone, or feel awkward, etc.
3) Practice those parts extra, and figure out what techniques you are lacking in that are causing you to have trouble with those parts.
4) Hit some exercises to focus in on those techniques even more (though you will get a lot by just practicing the parts extra).
5) In parallel, continue working on the song. This is important! By doing this, you are learning to integrate the techniques which is actually harder than getting good at them by themselves.
Great advice. That seems like a pretty logical approach.
I've also decided to give ear training a go, so I can learn some music which I cant find tabs for.