Wanted to mess about with alternative tunings, but don't want to be tuning and retuning my guitar all the time, so thought about a VG Strat.

Found one locally, new, (an '07) for $1700, which is more than I want to spend. The salesman showed me a Les Paul Robot, $1200, which sounds very tempting.

Bearing in mind I have two Strats already, a MIA Standard and a MIA HH, and love them both, should I go for the Gibson for variety, or stick with what I know and love. My friend who is now very accomplished had a 12 string 30 years ago, and I loved the sound, the VG can simulate it, the Gibson can't.

Just a basement player of any music, folk rock to punk, even country. Only been playing seriously just over a year.

Would like to hear from anyone with experience of either what they think are the pro's and cons of each.

Joe
Just buy a fixed bridge guitar for a fraction of the price and use that...

especially if it is just to dabble with, it doesnt make sense spending that kind of cash especially as if you decide to not use the features you could have bought a better gimmick free guitar.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Buy three or four used Agiles and pay a tech to set them up in three different tunings.
Is it really necessary to have a guitar that can tune itself?

EDIT: ^ Hell that suggestion would probably cost less altogether then buying a Robot.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Is it really necessary to have a guitar that can tune itself?

EDIT: ^ Hell that suggestion would probably cost less altogether then buying a Robot.

No, but it's not necessary to have a car that changes gear automatically, but most of us do !!!

Incidently, what would be the cost of a similar Gibson w/o the robot stuff ?

Joe
Quote by talljoe
No, but it's not necessary to have a car that changes gear automatically, but most of us do !!!

Joe

I only do because I never got taught to drive stick. No one owns a car with one.
Quote by talljoe

Joe

standards about 2300 off GC new. 1200 seems like a great deal, never played a robot, but i thought they were the same as the standards just with robot tuning? i may be wrong. probly am.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
I don't really trust Gibson's QC. Though I've never played one (never needed to, I dislike the 24.75" scale length, makes it feel like a kid's guitar IMO), my friend even testaments to having played several with frets that stuck out, and unfinished. Guitarist magazine even got a Dusk Tiger which wasn't even checked out properly, and had a 2mm gap between the metal pickguard and the body. There's also several other tales about this.

Just my 2 cents, if you find a good one that you love, I have no quarms with that, but don't buy any guitar (Gibson, Fender, etc.) for the name, or for the love of god, online.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Thanks for the input.

Someone else suggested Agile guitars, but I do have reservations about cheaper stuff in general. (Buy cheap, buy twice). I am not experienced enough (yet) to pick up a guitar and say, "Yep, it's a god one", so I would never know, if it sounded awful, whether it was me or the equipment.

(Hence the MIA Strats I already have. Pride of ownership is also a part of this. The Strats, particularly the Standard in Sienna burst, are just beautiful instruments)

Also, when I play I just strap on my guitar, open my songbook, and play thru it. If I have songs with different tunings I will be constantly unhooking, putting down, picking up, and hooking up as I turn to the next song. I suppose I could separate the songs into their respective tunings, but I tend to play what I fancy in no particular order. Stones stuff could follow Oysterband, and Libertines or Oasis after that. Not to mention good old songs like American Pie an House of the Rising Sun.

Most of what I play will be standard tuning, so it seems extravagant to have a guitar for just an odd couple of songs, but I do want to branch out and experiment.

Just turning a tuning knob will allow me to mix it up just as whim takes me.

The reliability of electro-mechanical equipment does concern me. That's why I'm interested to hear from actual users. If the Gibson breaks down I have a standard Les Paul, if the VG breaks I have a standard Strat. That's why I am leaning towards the Robot as I have the two Strats already.

But is it any good ?

Joe
Go for the robot guitar, I have one, I love it. you're paying about the same price as what you would pay for the same Gibson without the robot tuning installed. As with any guitar just make sure that you play it first.
the robot is basically a studio with the robot functions. the $1200 should have a bound ebony board. the rosewood boards should be $999.

just don't try to tune it manually without pulling the tuning key out, away from the headstock. if you forget and twist it, it will break the tuner instantly.

i'd say that while a bit gimmicky, it's a studio for less than a studio costs.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.