Hi to everybody reading this thread

At first, sorry for bad English

I'm from Kyiv, Ukraine. Wanna to buy some overdrive/fuzz/distortion for my Fender MIM STD JB '04...And I'm searching for some advice...your expierence, dear users.

Idk really what I'm really searching to. I'd like to have a bit of dirty sound, like Chris Wolstenholme from Muse has in some songs. I know, he uses Big Muff, so it can be add to the main list of effects.

I'm in band with guitarist often plays solo parts, so I want to fill the rhytm part with my overdriven bass effect. Also I like some bass solos too

P.S. I'm a student, and my wallet is not too deep, so keep it in your mind but I'll appreciate any help or any advice.

My expierence of using bass effects: very little. I used Boss ODB-3 and I kinda ****ed it because of...I couldn't feel the lows really. Maybe I was lame at setting the pedal, I won't argue about it.
My notable targets:
Boss ODB-3 (lol, but who knows?)
Ibanez PD-7
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Marshall Guv'Nor (I know, it's a guitar one, but one guitarist told me that it has nice lows)
Tech21 Character Series VT Bass (my teacher told me about this one)

Waiting for replies. Thanks. Cheers.

P.P.S. I like to communicate with foreign people and I'm friendly
P.P.P.S. It's all about my English. I wanna to improve it!!!
Last edited by b0r1ng at May 23, 2010,
Quote by b0r1ng

P.P.P.S. It's all about my English. I wanna to improve it!!!

its spelled Wallet, not vallet. lol i thought the accent was just the pronunciation of w's sounding like v's, i didnt know it happened in spelling too.

sorry dont know much about pedals, let alone bass pedals
No need to apologize for your English. Your English is much better than my Ukrainian (which is absolutely zero).

Most of the best bass overdrive pedals are expensive because they are made by "boutique" manufacturers. One of the best choices - and one of the least expensive - is the Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Electro-Harmonix-XO-Bass-Big-Muff-Pi-Distortion-Effects-Pedal?sku=528002

You can often find them for less money by looking for used ones on e-bay and places like that.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by rickyj
its spelled Wallet, not vallet. lol i thought the accent was just the pronunciation of w's sounding like v's, i didnt know it happened in spelling too.

sorry dont know much about pedals, let alone bass pedals

my bad, that was just some automatic mistake was too tired when posted it
Fender MiM Standart Jazz Bass
nothing to say more
Quote by FatalGear41
No need to apologize for your English. Your English is much better than my Ukrainian (which is absolutely zero).

Most of the best bass overdrive pedals are expensive because they are made by "boutique" manufacturers. One of the best choices - and one of the least expensive - is the Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Electro-Harmonix-XO-Bass-Big-Muff-Pi-Distortion-Effects-Pedal?sku=528002

You can often find them for less money by looking for used ones on e-bay and places like that.

I'm not surprised, if american don't know some even russian words(our languages - ukrainian and russian - are pretty similar). It's all because not you're migrating to our countries, but we are. So, we have to know English a little

Thanks for advice, I'll think about it

UPD. Updated my targets(Tech21 Character Series VT Bass)
nothing to say more
a Canadian builder called Wounded Paw makes a really nice one called the Attack Goat. if you go to bassfuzz.com you can check it and some other fuzz pedals out.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Hey guys, I've bought Tech21 SansAmp VTBass two days ago. Sounds incredible!! I've not tested it properly, but for 1.5 hours of fast testing(just setting the settings(lol) to 11 o'clock and then adjust them according to song). But I'm really enjoyed it!

P.S. 180$
nothing to say more
Quote by b0r1ng
Hey guys, I've bought Tech21 SansAmp VTBass two days ago. Sounds incredible!! I've not tested it properly, but for 1.5 hours of fast testing(just setting the settings(lol) to 11 o'clock and then adjust them according to song). But I'm really enjoyed it!

P.S. 180$

you have an insanely good pedal its worth its weight in gold and on my gas list good choice :P sit and tinker you can get some insanely good tones out it. goes from funky to face melter in seconds
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
I own the marshall Guv'nor plus GV-2 and the Ibanez PD7. Out of the two the PD7 is better and clearer for bass, but a little more expensive. The Guv'nor does give you good lows but can sound alittle muffled. You can get a Kasabian tone from it, which is nice.
But the PD7 gives you a more early muse tone, like showbiz, when Chris was using a boss ODB3.