From what I've heard, most of the Epiphones in the $500+ range are of almost Gibson quality, with a few drawbacks, of course. So I'd say no, it's a tad lower quality, but it's better to play them and decide yourself.
interms of what you get with the custom it is effectivly a les paul standard, as for build quality the custom is more than likely slightly better
Quote by mailbox2112
From what I've heard, most of the Epiphones in the $500+ range are of almost Gibson quality, with a few drawbacks, of course. So I'd say no, it's a tad lower quality, but it's better to play them and decide yourself.

This is total bs. an epi custom plays the same as a standard, the custom is just dressed up more. and anyone who says an epi plays the same as a gibson has obviously never played a gibson. put a epi sg standard next to my sg standard and they are worlds apart.

'67 Gibson SG Standard
MXR Phase 90 | Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9 | Vox V847A Wah-Wah
'65 Fender Bassman
The Epi Custom is the same guitar as the Standard except for Block inlays, Gold hardware and solid finish vs see thru. The Gold Hardware will wear out and age poorly, the block inlays aren't to my taste but WTH! I don't think the Custom is worth the $200 more than the Standard in any case.
Moving on.....
No! I'm saying this, you have to try both guitars out. You'll hear this a lot but its true. We can't be trusted with telling you which is better because no two guitars are made the same. I bought a Epi LP studio deluxe and it plays amazingly. I liked it better than standards and even some customs. ALSO, for people to say anything about Gibson and Epiphone and the comparison, its wrong because there are some better made guitars and what not. Also there is a biased where some can't justify spending the extra couple hundred or thousand for the Gibson name. I'll say I want a Gibson but I'm more than content with my Epi. Good Luck dude!
Put this in your signature if you've ever saved a child.

Yea thats what i thought.
Majority of Epiphone guitars are the same exact guitar, but one might have very slightly hotter pickups, a figured top or different inlays.

Truth is truth, man.