Erm, eventually
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
There's so much new stuff that has to be added: albums, bands, genres...*shudders*... Deathcore even
You could have simply PMed Dyers, you know?
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
so guys

my favorite bands are btbam and trivium and a7x

rec me some good death metalssss
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Quote by illuminatiano
so guys

my favorite bands are btbam and trivium and a7x

rec me some good death metalssss

dude you should like totally check out bullet for my valentine, so brutal

On topic though, I think it's kinda early now. Also, putting together a new list of recommendations would be a nightmare. I'd definitely pitch in and help if a new thread gets made though.
My Last.fm

Quote by \Powerslave/
HelloHalo, I love you.

WHO SEND ALL THESE BABIES TO FIGHT?
Why bother...The old one works fine, the only ones who complain are idiots who still think metalcore are metal.
I hope this doesn't come off as condescending or whiny, but your rec thread could definitely use some work. I'd suggest putting more focus on the essentials and the greats, and leave the more obscure or less adequate albums for specific recommendations.

Maybe you could have users who know their stuff post favorites lists, also.

I also don't see any discussion of the philosophical variances among the genres. This seems essential.

Ignore my advice at will.
Quote by NotFromANUS
I hope this doesn't come off as condescending or whiny, but your rec thread could definitely use some work. I'd suggest putting more focus on the essentials and the greats, and leave the more obscure or less adequate albums for specific recommendations.

Maybe you could have users who know their stuff post favorites lists, also.

I also don't see any discussion of the philosophical variances among the genres. This seems essential.

Ignore my advice at will.

I think the first two points are good ideas, I wouldn't call your third point essential, it would just confuse too many people. on here
Deplorable quit being an anus.

a) Metalcore is watered down shit, not even worthy of being called metal.
b) Many of us are smart enough to talk philosophical differences, it's just pointless.
c) I agree with putting more emphasis on classics
d) That second idea might work, wouldn't require much work though.

I think if we have anything, we could have specific users people could PM for certain recs. Since obviously there are certain people who listen to more black metal, or death metal than others.
Quote by severed-metal
Deplorable quit being an anus.

a) Metalcore is watered down shit, not even worthy of being called metal.
b) Many of us are smart enough to talk philosophical differences, it's just pointless.
c) I agree with putting more emphasis on classics
d) That second idea might work, wouldn't require much work though.

I think if we have anything, we could have specific users people could PM for certain recs. Since obviously there are certain people who listen to more black metal, or death metal than others.

Right, metalcore IS garbage, but that doesn't reduce it's status of metal, it's just shit metal

I realise many of us are smart enough, it was mainly directed at the random noobs that tend to appear now and then i was aiming at, and yes I do agree it is pointless.

Other stuff is agreed, I kind of like your PM idea, but I think the current system works fine anyways.
Quote by Deplorable
Other stuff is agreed, I kind of like your PM idea, but I think the current system works fine anyways.

and there's the money shot.

I still don't think it should have the genre of metal tagged with it, but that's just my opinion though.

fumb duck, come back in about a year or two, chances are, a mod will make it anyways.
Quote by severed-metal
and there's the money shot.

I still don't think it should have the genre of metal tagged with it, but that's just my opinion though.

fumb duck, come back in about a year or two, chances are, a mod will make it anyways.

Yes, the current system works fine, however a new thread would be good to update the first posts and put in new bands/albums, plus a little more genre separation to make it easier for people to find exactly what they want.
Your "howevers" tease me of a brighter future, a more educated metal world...That does not exist.

Although I do like the idea of a new thread. But, it just seems like a shitload of work, but i'm down for a couple of fairly obscure bands.
I'm sticking with the old one. It's got all that is necessary in enlightening people on subgenres (for the most part), and anything else can be discovered on one's own. It has all the classics necessary in there to get one started. With the internet, it's only a matter of time that one keeps connecting to other great bands.

Then they ask for recs in the rec thread.

Simple.
Philosophy > Life
the current rec. thread is amazing but surely it's not too hard to copy+paste and add albums.
All up for making the rec thread intro more collaborative, but just starting a new one without putting work into it would be the hallmark of epic gay.
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
I think the first page of the other thread needs an update, but not a new thread.

that's what I meant :/
Last edited by fumb duck at May 22, 2010,
Somewhere along the line, Dyers even planned one, it's all in the - irony - current rec thread, if you'd bother to find it.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Quote by severed-metal

How so? The philosophical underpinnings, whether concious or not, influence the sound and evolution of each subgenre, and also helps with understanding what separates the good from the bad.
Quote by NotFromANUS
How so? The philosophical underpinnings, whether concious or not, influence the sound and evolution of each subgenre, and also helps with understanding what separates the good from the bad.

I do agree, and I can't speak for everyone, but i'm sure there are people who just don't give a shit, and just want to listen to the music instead of trying to find relevance to their life behind it, or how it was sculpted from the sand.

Like I said, I do agree. But what it comes down to, compare the "whose going to appreciate it", to the "who just wants some death metal without vocals"

Just so we're clear, I do like this idea. As stated 4 times now. I mean, we usually read it once or twice, if you want to get a start on this, I would suggest you create a metal and philosophy thread..

..or alternatively, see if one already exists, which it very well might.
If this is going to happen, Dyer's will start it and make sure the main posts are up first before opening it up to the rest of us. So hold your horses, guys.