YO! This is for anyone looking to get a HEAVY, thick, buzzing, aggressive tone for their guitar, if using Line 6 Toneport.

You will need the following;
Line 6 Toneport UX1 (For about 100 quid.)

Here are the settings to use.

AMP MODEL - Line 6 Spinal Puppet (Cab model - 4x10 2001 Line 6)
DRIVE - 10
BASS - 10
MIDDLE - 4
TREBLE - 10
PRESENCE - 8
VOLUME - 10

GATE
Threshold ( -27db)
Decay - (18%)

STOMP - Screamer
DRIVE - (21%)
GAIN - (50%)
TONE - (68%)

EQ
GAIN FREQ
9.4 100
0.8 250
1.6 2.1k
2.6 3.0k

And that is it! For a demonstration on what this sounds like, feel free to click onto the following link, and have a listen for yourselves. Toneport UX1 is a cheap and cheerful option to get a really heavy, violent sound out of your guitar.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ApexMACHINE/
(A determined enemy)

For anyone who gives it a whirl, please let me hear what you come up with. Or if you have a better tone, post me your settings!

Laters folks.

~KB
Hey dude ^^ Bought my UX1 wednesday but gave it in cause its faulty. Really keen to try that out! I came up with some sick sounds when I played around with it, I'll post them once I get my unit back. What software did you use? Sounds awesome! Also maybe check my thread out if you have time Would appreciate it! \m/ KEEP IT METAL!
Quote by Undisolved
Hey dude ^^ Bought my UX1 wednesday but gave it in cause its faulty. Really keen to try that out! I came up with some sick sounds when I played around with it, I'll post them once I get my unit back. What software did you use? Sounds awesome! Also maybe check my thread out if you have time Would appreciate it! \m/ KEEP IT METAL!

Really looking forward to it man. The Toneport/Gearbox stuff has really pushed my recording quality out of the park. I'll definitely check up on your tracks and have a look at your thread. In fact, I will just add you as a friend and keep an eye out, then you can just message me when you have done.

As for software, you get the Gearbox with it. All you need to do is plug in your UX1 USB into the PC/Laptop, and open Gearbox after all your install stuff. That is you now set! Any recording program you now use, as long as Gearbox is open and Toneport is selected in the input drop-down folder, will record your gutiar.

I use MAGIX MUSICMAKER Producer Edition 14. Which is as stable as a sodding McDonalds Big Mac, but it's what I know...
Quote by ApexMACHINE
YO! This is for anyone looking to get a HEAVY, thick, buzzing, aggressive tone for their guitar, if using Line 6 Toneport.

You will need the following;
Line 6 Toneport UX1 (For about 100 quid.)

Here are the settings to use.

AMP MODEL - Line 6 Spinal Puppet (Cab model - 4x10 2001 Line 6)
DRIVE - 10
BASS - 10
MIDDLE - 4
TREBLE - 10
PRESENCE - 8
VOLUME - 10

GATE
Threshold ( -27db)
Decay - (18%)

STOMP - Screamer
DRIVE - (21%)
GAIN - (50%)
TONE - (68%)

EQ
GAIN FREQ
9.4 100
0.8 250
1.6 2.1k
2.6 3.0k

And that is it! For a demonstration on what this sounds like, feel free to click onto the following link, and have a listen for yourselves. Toneport UX1 is a cheap and cheerful option to get a really heavy, violent sound out of your guitar.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ApexMACHINE/
(A determined enemy)

For anyone who gives it a whirl, please let me hear what you come up with. Or if you have a better tone, post me your settings!

Laters folks.

~KB

9.4 at 100hz?! Thats what a bass guitar is for

TBH this mix doesnt sound to good, im guessing now hp or lp on the guitars? I think if you tweaked it more you can get a better tone than that, its kind of annoying sounding in the 10khz+ area (hence the lp)
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
Quote by Tig Bitties
9.4 at 100hz?! Thats what a bass guitar is for

TBH this mix doesnt sound to good, im guessing now hp or lp on the guitars? I think if you tweaked it more you can get a better tone than that, its kind of annoying sounding in the 10khz+ area (hence the lp)

Its a pretty cool song man, but I have to agree w/Tig Bitties. I've never been a fan of the spinal puppet amp, or any of the stock amps that come w/Gearbox. IMO they all have that nasally high treble distortion that I can't stand. As soon as I was able to I got the Metal Shop pack which has way better amps. I don't wanna sound like I'm totally knockin your guitar tone, cuz if its the sound you like then it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. What I would do to tweak this guitar tone though is:
  • Dial the Drive down to around 60-70 (you want to go as low as you can but still be able to get that good chug "woomph" sound)
  • dial the bass back down to 50%
  • Mids are ok at 4 (i'm guessing that's 40%?)
  • Bring the Treble and presence down a bit so that it doesn't sound so screechy
  • Also maybe a bit less on the drive on the Screamer pedal
  • Scrap the Line 6 EQ entirely and use an EQ plug in your DAW to do a HP filter@100hz and a LP filter @ around 10k maybe a bit lower. Then cut about 2-4 db's at around 300-400hz.

Check out the recordings on my profile (End of the Line & Bearclone 666) B4 I had the metal sho pack I came up w/a pretty decent tone w/the Line 6 Lunatic Amp model and the Treadplate cab. I can post the settings too if you want. I actually didn't use any EQ'ing on those songs though because I recorded them before I actually knew how to EQ. Also there is no bass in either of those but still turned out pretty cool.
Last edited by HaveCool at May 25, 2010,
Quote by HaveCool
Its a pretty cool song man, but I have to agree w/Tig Bitties. I've never been a fan of the spinal puppet amp, or any of the stock amps that come w/Gearbox. IMO they all have that nasally high treble distortion that I can't stand. As soon as I was able to I got the Metal Shop pack which has way better amps. I don't wanna sound like I'm totally knockin your guitar tone, cuz if its the sound you like then it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. What I would do to tweak this guitar tone though is:
  • Dial the Drive down to around 60-70 (you want to go as low as you can but still be able to get that good chug "woomph" sound)
  • dial the bass back down to 50%
  • Mids are ok at 4 (i'm guessing that's 40%?)
  • Bring the Treble and presence down a bit so that it doesn't sound so screechy
  • Also maybe a bit less on the drive on the Screamer pedal
  • Scrap the Line 6 EQ entirely and use an EQ plug in your DAW to do a HP filter@100hz and a LP filter @ around 10k maybe a bit lower. Then cut about 2-4 db's at around 300-400hz.

Check out the recordings on my profile (End of the Line & Bearclone 666) B4 I had the metal sho pack I came up w/a pretty decent tone w/the Line 6 Lunatic Amp model and the Treadplate cab. I can post the settings too if you want. I actually didn't use any EQ'ing on those songs though because I recorded them before I actually knew how to EQ. Also there is no bass in either of those but still turned out pretty cool.

+1

Also, you will be really suprised how small guitars sound without bass, but then that bass comes roaring in, the guitars are MASSIVE when blended correctly
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
I just bought a GX1 last night - great little interface! I really didn't need it as I already have a killer $500 one but I wanted to test out Pod Farm - have it all installed PF1, PF2 and Gearbox - these are killer... I always heard Pod Farm had some great amps and I'm impressed. Also impressed with the GX1 as an interface - using Reaper and Sonar Producer and any of my other amp sims (commercial and free ones too) I get some really great sound. Best $99 I ever spent - just Pod Farm 2 is worth the money and besides I haven't bought a new toy in ages... If you need a simple lil' 1-input interface the GX1 is well worth the $99! I'll see if I have that amp in Pod Farm and check out your settings.

EDIT: Yeah I got it - schaweeet now I gotta figure out the customizing part - I'll figure it out just got this baby - I'm really impressed with the noise gate in it. I usually have to add a gate in whatever DAW I'm using but the Line 6 gate is impressive.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at May 25, 2010,
People of Earth!!!

I always take critique pretty humbly. Thanks to both of you for suggestions. I will be experimenting with your additional settings, and I will most definitely be buying the Metal Pack.

Cheers guys! I will keep you updated on the progress. :-D
Quote by Undisolved

Hey buddy, the guys above were completely right. I downloaded the "Metal Zone + FX junkie" pack from Line 6 online for the UX1 last night and it is absolutely STUNNING. Get it if you want some awesome tones mate. The "BIG BOTTOM" is monstrous.

~KB