Hi all,

I'm going to be rewiring my squier strat in the coming months, over the summer.

Aside from the pickups, I am also looking to replace the electronics...the pots, the capacitator. However, i wanted to know if there are 'good' and 'bad' parts for these things.

I ask this because i want to know if i need to replace the electronics in my squier strat. Are there such thing as "bad" pots or capacitators, or is it really the values that change things (250k, 500k pots for example)? I dont want to waste 20 or so dollars buying new parts if they are going to do the same thing.

Also, do the wires used to connect parts make a difference? I was going to re-use the wires because there is no reason to buy new wires if i can just recycle.

I'm hoping that in a few months i can have a guitar with new pickups and electronics, along with a new amp!

Regards and thanks!
Cap types don't matter if you're doing standard wiring, if you wanna spend 2 bucks on a orange sprague cap then by all means though.

As far as pots go, CTS is best, then Alpha I believe. Pot values matter, higher value= brighter, I wouldn't go higher than 500k tops for single coils, most use 250k as standard, log pots are the common taper, though linear can be used.

Wires shouldn't have too much of an effect, the wiring in it now should suffice.

As far as where to buy from, the Resource Thread would be a great place to look, a link to it (and many other common topics) can be found in the stickied Essential threads thread, should be at the top of you thread lists as long as you're in the GB&C

Welcome to UG.
Sprague Orange Drops are a joy to work with. Not only are they a great cap that will outlast your guitar but the leads are nice. You can use lots of things really, pretty hard to tell the difference in sound between an OD and a garden variety greencap. Orange Drops have a lot of smugness factor. You could try different values like .022 and .047 while you're playing with it.
Pots? Yes, CTS. Alphas are just ok, certainly good enough to use.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i wouldnt re-use the wire either. wire is fairly cheap, so just get a spool and use fresh wire. probably wont make much of a difference, if any, but i would use new stuff anyway. squire isnt exactly known for high quality electronics, so they could be using some shoddy wire.
One thing that has not been mentioned is replacing the 5-way switch. The ones in most import guitars are pretty lousy. Oak and Grigsby make good 5-ways, but be warned: measure the depth of your cavity first, the new switch is too tall to fit in Squiers that are thinner than normal strats.
Quote by Invader Jim
CTS isn't the best, but it's a far sight better than alpha. alpha is cheap crap. Go for CTS. They last alot longer and are built very solidly.

CTS took a quality nosedive about a year ago. The taper on their pots is really rough and when your turn the volume knob from 10 to 9 you get a huge volume drop and they crackle. This is true for both their 250K and 500K pots. I've got around 200 of them sitting in my workshop that I can't use.

Alpha pots don't last as long as CTS but the taper is a lot better

I use bourns pots now. They are about twice the price of CTS but they are worth it for the smooth, noise free, taper.

For caps on a fender style guitar the cheap ceramic disk caps are vintage correct. Most people will agree that Orange drop caps sound better but still have that sharp vintage quality. Mustard caps, Mallory caps, and oil caps all sound the same to my ear and are grainy sounding, in a good way, and are preferred by many people going for warm bluesy tone, however, these are not vintage correct for fender instruments.
oh, god. here we go about the cap mojo...

you sure you just didnt get a bad batch? did you try them since then?

I use alpha b/c i'm broke but if I had a choice i'd use bourns. if new clarostat and ohmite pots are still anything like their vintage ancestors then they are worth looking into.
Does wire quality matter? its always puzzled me. Because i know some people use braided because its vintage correct but i've wondered if its any better.
braided is only vintage-correct with some pickups. I imagine the very early guitars used lacquered cloth wire, but i doubt that lasted long.

braided wire is shielded. that's the advantage. you can buy plain old pvc-insulated shielded wire if you want that. otherwise use plain 22awg pvc insulated hookup wire.
Quote by Invader Jim
you sure you just didnt get a bad batch? did you try them since then?

I'm sure it wasn't a bad batch. Most of my customers use CTS pots to begin with and email me about their problems with the taper. When they switch to alpha or bourns then all the problems go away. If you get NOS CTS pots they are great but they have started cutting corners with the new stock.
Quote by 71EightyOne
Hi all,

I'm going to be rewiring my squier strat in the coming months, over the summer.

Aside from the pickups, I am also looking to replace the electronics...the pots, the capacitator. However, i wanted to know if there are 'good' and 'bad' parts for these things.

I ask this because i want to know if i need to replace the electronics in my squier strat. Are there such thing as "bad" pots or capacitators, or is it really the values that change things (250k, 500k pots for example)? I dont want to waste 20 or so dollars buying new parts if they are going to do the same thing.

Also, do the wires used to connect parts make a difference? I was going to re-use the wires because there is no reason to buy new wires if i can just recycle.

I'm hoping that in a few months i can have a guitar with new pickups and electronics, along with a new amp!

Regards and thanks!

As the experts have said, CTS are an upgrade and Bourn's are probably the top end.

Switchcraft make nice 5 way's and I think is what Fender use.

Alpha 250K

CTS 250k
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!