How loud would 10 watts Class A Single Ended be(KT88)?
This
Also, how many watts can be gotten from 1 KT88?
10 watts can get quite loud. In fact, it can get far too loud for home use.

The amp schematic you linked to is interesting. That amp won't get incredibly loud. A single gain stage with a medium mu triode won't really drive that KT88. Kinda like using a 3 cylinder Geo Metro engine to drive a Ford F-350 Super Duty. The truck might move, but not very quickly or efficiently. So I'm not sure how many watts it would actually put out in that configuration.

Depending on the plate voltage that you run a KT88 at, it can put out up to about 18-20 watts (clean) in class A. That schematic calls out 400v B+, so I'd say that if the tube was actually being driven by more signal, it would put out about 18 watts.
Quote by CECamps
10 watts can get quite loud. In fact, it can get far too loud for home use.

The amp schematic you linked to is interesting. That amp won't get incredibly loud. A single gain stage with a medium mu triode won't really drive that KT88. Kinda like using a 3 cylinder Geo Metro engine to drive a Ford F-350 Super Duty. The truck might move, but not very quickly or efficiently. So I'm not sure how many watts it would actually put out in that configuration.

Depending on the plate voltage that you run a KT88 at, it can put out up to about 18-20 watts (clean) in class A. That schematic calls out 400v B+, so I'd say that if the tube was actually being driven by more signal, it would put out about 18 watts.

I'm not sure but i've read that max anode voltages on KT88s reach up to 750 when using a topside cap thingy, that along with a good preamp. Should get higher wattage, but eh it won't matter at all if it's 15 watts, 18, or 20 or even 25. the volume difference would be barely audible
Quote by bluesyeddie
So would this be possible:

Single Ended
20w Class A
1 KT88
3 12AX7

Yeah, 20W clean is possible at some serious B+ voltage. But you're gonna pay a lot more money for a transformer that can deliver it. And you won't be able to tell any difference in loudness from 15 watts to 20 watts.

Running the KT88 at more reasonable voltages (~350v) will get you 15 watts pretty easy and the transformer (and power supply components) won't break the bank. And 15 watts will get LOUD.

You don't need 3 12AX7's either. That's overkill, you'd be dumping most of the gain to ground. 2 will suffice unless you have some specific tone shaping technique you want to try with 6 gain stages.
Quote by stykerwolf
I'm not sure but i've read that max anode voltages on KT88s reach up to 750 when using a topside cap thingy, that along with a good preamp. Should get higher wattage, but eh it won't matter at all if it's 15 watts, 18, or 20 or even 25. the volume difference would be barely audible

I have no idea why anyone would want to put the money into a power supply to run a single KT88 at 750v. Yes, it's capable of handling the voltage, but nonsensical to do that in a SE class A amp. Like you said, the extra 5 watts or so you'd get out of it would go by completely unnoticed.
how's a single 12DW7 and single KT88. two cascading gain stages with a blackface style tone stack in between. volume and master. KT88 getting around 400vDC with a solid state rectifier... 12AX7 triode then a 12AU7 triode stage. sounds groovy to me. maybe my third build, a clean amp hahaha.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard