I'm beginning to improvise and I want to know why do all the pentatonics sound good over a blues chord progression but not so major scales.

If I'm playing over an E blues backing track I can use that pentatonic but not the Emaj scale because it just wont sound good. Why?
Im not Genius on blues but maybe you could try using the Blues Major Scale.
found here: http://www.guitarscalemastery.com/articles/blues-guitar/gaining-technical-mastery-over-the-major-blues-scale/
It takes a very different sound from the regular major scale.
Also E Major and E Minor arnt the same Key as far as i know. An E Minor pentatonic is just the 6th Mode of the G Major Scale, So if youre trying to play a major scale over a song in Eminor you should try playing G Major Scale. I think i got this right
Hope this helps somewhat.
Gear:

Charvel So-Cal Style 1 HH
Jackson Pro Series RR24M
Dean Dave Mustaine Signature VMNT

JCM 2000 TSL 100
Last edited by Spitty33 at May 21, 2010,
Because your playing over a minor blues progression. It should sound fine over a major blues progression.

Actually that's probably not right... nevermind I don't know what I'm talking about

Edit 2.. ^^^ Yeah that's what I was trying to say
Last edited by van01010100 at May 21, 2010,
Quote by van01010100
Because your playing over a minor blues progression. It should sound fine over a major blues progression.

Actually that's probably not right... nevermind I don't know what I'm talking about

Edit 2.. ^^^ Yeah that's what I was trying to say

But but but.. I understand what you're saying, but if I played the relative minor scale of the major scale I was trying to use.. shouldnt it sound fine?

OR do I have to use minor harmonic scales and that stuff over a minor blues progression? (I havent learned those yet with my teacher).

OR what other scales that are not pentatonic can I use over a MINOR blues progression? Thanks.
Over a standard 8 or 12 bar minor blues progression the minor pentatonic and the minor scale are the only ones that technically fit over the whole progression (because the root, 3rd, and 5th of the Imin/IVmin/Vmin all fit into the Imin scale), but you can use different scales to get different sounds, that's where my theory knowledge ends so I'll shut up now.
Last edited by van01010100 at May 21, 2010,
Theres a nifty Minor Scale refered to as the Blues Box. Its just as simple as your Minor Pentatonic and can be used in the same place

The Red Dots indicate the Root Note. which in your case will be E.
Gear:

Charvel So-Cal Style 1 HH
Jackson Pro Series RR24M
Dean Dave Mustaine Signature VMNT

JCM 2000 TSL 100
Last edited by Spitty33 at May 21, 2010,
Quote by van01010100
Over a standard 8 or 12 bar minor blues progression the minor pentatonic and the minor scale are the only ones that technically fit over the whole progression (because the root, 3rd, and 5th of the Imin/IVmin/Vmin all fit into the Imin scale), but you can use different scales to get different sounds, that's where my theory knowledge ends so I'll shut up now.

But by minor scale you mean the natutal minor and harmonic minor? Not a relative minor of a major scale? (C - Am for example).

Me so confused
Last edited by haceteunosmates at May 21, 2010,
A minor blues would be

Am Am Dm Am Em Dm Am Em
Am = A C E
Dm = D F A
Em = E G B
So you have A B C D E F and G, which are all in the A minor scale. That's why it fits over each chord.

If you try to play the relative minor of A major (F#minor) you have
A B C# D E F# G#
which means in each chord you're playing notes that clash with the progression. I think technically you could play any scale that has the root third and fifth of the chord you're playing over and it would sound ok, but when you start playing the major third over a minor chord it sounds awful.
Quote by haceteunosmates
But but but.. I understand what you're saying, but if I played the relative minor scale of the major scale I was trying to use.. shouldnt it sound fine?

OR do I have to use minor harmonic scales and that stuff over a minor blues progression? (I havent learned those yet with my teacher).

OR what other scales that are not pentatonic can I use over a MINOR blues progression? Thanks.

You can't "play the relative minor" - it doesn't exist in this context, the chords will define the tonal centre and therefore the root of any scales you use.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah I dont know why I said that the relative minor are the same notes but arranged
differently.

Thanks.