I've been in search of a nice Mesa all tube amp for a long time, and now I found two.

1st: Mesa Roadking 2x12 gen 1 for $1600
2nd: Mesa Mark III 1x12 for $1100
They're both in great condition so thats not a factor, new tubes, no tolex tears. I'd like to grab the Roadking since it has all the tones and features I've been looking for for a long time, but the thing is that it seems too low for a Roadking even if its a gen 1 (gen 2 are $2700 new). It just seems sketchy is all. The Mark III is a fantastic amp, but I've seen heads go for $800 so I don't know if an extra $300 is worth the 1, 12in speaker and the additional weight.

Boiled down: Gen 1 Roadking 2x12 for $1600, good deal or catch?, Mark III 1x12 for $1100, too much for a single 12in? (I think so)
Last edited by Ice4600 at May 21, 2010,
The Mark III is overpriced, and the Roadking deal looks solid, seeing as most amps lose half their value when used.
The Roadking sounds better IMO too, thats a good price for it. Way overpriced Mark III
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
If I were to find a cheaper Mark III, would it be better to grab that instead? I've heard from many people that its a more organic tone and worth not having all the bells and whistles of the Roadster/Roadking Recs.
I know its overpriced but I believe I can grab one for cheaper. I'm leaning more towards the Roadking more and more even though its twice as much as the other Mark III I found. $1100 is definitely too much now that I've done more comparing.
get a roadking. i tried one a few months ago, and OH MY GOD. orgasmic times infinity.

i've tried a mark IV before, didn't like it, so i'd say the same prolly for the mark iii
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.