New cello day!

Yeah, you probably thought it'd be a cab. Never the less, new ELECTRIC CELLO! Yamaha SVC-210SK 'Silent Cello', with onboard reverb and headphone, as well as a few other nifty things. I'll include some stock photos, and a review.

Pictured above: Sheer, jazz-nerd sex

Review: Well, it sounds like awesome. Pure, intonated awesome. It took a little while to find time to get the bridges and string together, but boy does it sound good. The reverb is incredible, and the tone transfer is excellent. I guess this means I'll be taking the pickup off my acoustic cello now! No more looking like a total tool while playing jazz clubs; now I'll be a space-age nerdy-looking tool with some weird instrument no one can identify!

Playability will take a bit of getting used to. It definitely feels like my old cello in many respects, it just need some working in. It feels like a solid piece of machinery, and is quite a glorious bit of tone.

But why post this on a guitar forum.

Well.........

.....Uh.......

.... .........

I have an idea!

Let's plug it into the randall

...................... I know what I'm putting on my next metal track!

This cello sounds ridiculous through the amp on high gain. Like, literal chugging ridiculous. I may well try to record a clip of this, it's just kinda awesome. I'm about 90% certain that I may never need a rhythm guitarist on anything with more gain than Van Halen ever again. This just sounds like pure, audible sex (in the good way).

As for jazz? Excellent reverb, and the pure unfiltered tone is decent enough to pass. I ran it through the plexi module, and gave it a nice blues tinge by running the cello's volume on low; good idea. Pizzicato, it sounds pretty close to the average blues guitar, but with more thump and less sustain in the actual note. Definitely something to experiment with.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Nice!

Edit: What's the best string gauge for downtuning it?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at May 21, 2010,
Clips through the Randall. NAO.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Guys, the clips may be a bit delayed (if you want quality). I may try recording it straight to computer with just a video camera, though, to sate some of the urges. It won't be perfect (as I'll probably need to drop the volume on the amp to keep it from distorting the camera mic) but it oughta be fine with the higher-gain, pre-amp based stuff. Hopefully a video of some kinda tonight!
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Nice!

Edit: What's the best string gauge for downtuning it?

Honestly, this is just my opinion, but I rarely need to downtune. Your lowest note is already C; I don't usually downtune any music to B or A or anything. However, stock, it can probably handle Drop B, MAYBE a drop to A-sharp while maintaining a reasonable slack that can be worked on for rhythm. Solo-wise, though, you'd probably need to go a little above the generic cello stock if you want total downtunage.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
Quote by Phantom123
Honestly, this is just my opinion, but I rarely need to downtune. Your lowest note is already C; I don't usually downtune any music to B or A or anything. However, stock, it can probably handle Drop B, MAYBE a drop to A-sharp while maintaining a reasonable slack that can be worked on for rhythm. Solo-wise, though, you'd probably need to go a little above the generic cello stock if you want total downtunage.

I was just making fun of all the stupid strings threads lately.

Pay the edit no attention.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I was just making fun of all the stupid strings threads lately.

Pay the edit no attention.

Sorry =P I thought it was a legit question. I haven't really noticed the string questions lately, and I DO know guys who downtune.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
That cello is the sex. I hope you enjoy the thing.HNCD
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Nice man. I play cello too and have tried some of those out at shops before. They sound pretty sweet and look just as cool. ,Even though putting a piezo pickup on my cello translates the tone amazingly, it's always nice to get a real solid body. The feedback I get can make it almost unplayable when I try to turn the amp up too loud unless I'm across the room looking away from it.

I have to say though, my personal favorite is still this one:

My teacher in high school had one that I played on a couple times and it was ridiculous. Has to be put on a stand and has two extra strings.
Last edited by Warrior47 at May 22, 2010,
Sensational, and through a Cranked Randall? Priceless.

Got a side on shot of it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 22, 2010,
Dude... Sweet!

Looking forward to some clips
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Quote by Warrior47

I have to say though, my personal favorite is still this one.

Pretty slick but how do you hold it? Just with your feet?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Phantom123
New cello day!

Sneaky from Fingathing has been using a double bass like that cello for years. Sounds brilliant having those low frequencies to blast out of the PA.
Quote by Cathbard
Pretty slick but how do you hold it? Just with your feet?

It has a stand that screws into the back of the body. Kinda cumbersome, but it looks sweet.
That's awesome, I always wanted the guitar equivalent of that, the kind of bare bones with a frame around. Looks sexy.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Where are these clips...?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

that. is. awesome.

handles teh br00tz too?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I hope you're using that to do some Apocalyptica stuff, OP.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
I hope you're using that to do some Apocalyptica stuff, OP.

I likely will. My current demo list is probably gonna be a bit of jazz, some blues pizzicato, and then a rock-style wank off, just to show versatility. And of course, some chugging, because damnit that just kinda made my day.

Video is gonna be slightly delayed; I'm kinda graduating today =P I'll be pretty tough for time these next few days, but I'll try (keyword try) to get it in. I will likely get some of my own photos up though; I'm gonna put it through it's paces tonight live. That may actually get videoed, now that I think about it... Hmm...

It won't be what I want, but anyone mind if the demo is a broadway song? I can make it up by throwing in a solo or two with some pentatonic for lulz.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
Well, I used it live...

Unfortunately, nothing terribly useable as far as clips. No one listened to the actual music major when he mentioned that we needed a sound check. As if the gods of rock wished to prove the point, the mics ended up WAY to loud, I was only audible to half of the audience, and the keyboard plain didn't work. No IDEA what happened to the violinist.

Yeah, talk about a great first run :P That said, those who heard it liked it a lot. The comment I got from a close fried who I trust on all this felt it sounded quite similar to my real cello, and that it was a great effect. I was pleased
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic