If you change your strings' tuning over five times per day, does that cause too much stress (and thus lead to breakage), even if executed slowly?
Depends. I normally stay in Eb but i've been known to change tunings a ton throughout the day. Also, I haven't had any strings break since I first started playing, so it doesn't hurt them too much.
Last edited by Nevermind1299 at May 21, 2010,
Quote by stykerwolf
it's called fatigue (when you expand then contract metals, and they fail)

Why would you need to change tunings 5 times a day?

uhh only having one guitar, and a very wide array of musical tastes. i play lots of punk and hardcore. i can go from standard, to drop d, back to standard, then E flat, maybe even drop c and drop c sharp standard all in under two hours.

Trust me your fine dude
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
At the moment I change my tunings all the time, and I've had no problems. I've gone from Eb to Open Eb to GCEGCC (weird, awesome tuning), and a couple of others on the same day, but I imagine I'll be changing this set of strings earlier than normal, for reasons mentioned already.
Ibanez Musician ('78)/Epiphone G-400/Fender Lite Ash Telecaster/Michael Kelly Valor X->Polytune->EX-7->Crybaby->OD-9->BD-2->EVH Phase 90->Hayden Mofo

Send->EHX DMB->DL-8->RV600->Return

Friends are like potatoes: If you eat them, they die.
Yeah man think of your poor guitar. Going from standard to drop D probably wont do too much to it, but it any further than that and you should be making a few adjustments.
Inhuman evil take down!
you may or may not break strings more often. no one can really say because there are too many variables (the way you play, specific strings, how old the strings are, etc etc.)
and i dont see any point in setting up a guitar for C+ when youre going to switch back to drop d or e after practicing a song or two for 20 minutes.

just do what Beckyjc said, and make sure you have spare strings on hand -just in case- yours break due to the tunings.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
there could be some issues, but i wouldn't worry about it.
you could just search craigslist, ebay, or rondo for cheap guitars so you can do like me, and have one guitar for every tuning that you use. for $570 i got 5 guitars. so just look out for good deals. also it'll save you alot of time.
also to answer your question better, if you're going from standard to drop d don't worry about it.
but if you're going from standard to let's say open c, then dadgad, then to ostrich tuning, and back to standard you can expect some damage. hope i helped.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I just switch between Drop C and D Standard. If I'm playing something meant to be played on Drop D or Standard, I just play it two frets up
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Re-tuning your guitar probably does have an effect on the strings. I once had a string snap on me because I went from Drop C to standard tuning and started bending strings everywhere. Despite that, I still switch tunings VERY often. Some times I feel like playing some As I Lay Dying in Drop C and other times I feel like playing some Gilmour in standard. It hasn't affected my guitar's neck, surprisingly..or maybe I'm just missing the signs
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Yeah unless you are doing some obscene changes, I cant see it having any lasting effect on the strings or guitar.

with my 2 Gretches i've got one set up in standard and one in drop D, mostly because i'm lazy but also because one sounds better with the tone that the drop d songs are.
I regularly change my tuning, sometimes half a dozen to a dozen times a day. It's never had a negative effect on either my guitar or string tuning.
404: Sig not found.
I think in the short run after a few days of constantly changing a new set of strings, your strings will become use to it and stay in tune pretty well depending how far you tune up/down (this providing they haven't snapped).

In the long run this could weaken the lifespan of the strings because of the constant contraction and relaxation of them, and your guitar could suffer a little bit from having to constantly adjust to the different tensions.
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic