Is it me or do some of the EMGs sound just emotionless? I own a fender bronco 1965 and a burnside cutless 1988. I'm not so experienced with actives but when i try out my friends' and my lil bro's guitars that have EMGs they just don't have that passion. Even when I'm playing some Buckethead or some Minor, Harmonic, Hungarian solos with high gain. Is it suppose to sound that standard? I mean I heard amazing things about EMGs. My friend has a Marshall and I have a Peavy 50. My amp is shitty but, on a expensive Marshall it should sound amazing. Any feedback will be appreciated.
it's you. i have had a schecter C-1 hellraiser with emg 81-85's and i love it! it's all a matter of opinion though. i've played jazz, blues, metal, classic rock, and funk with emg's. just depends on the player and the set up.
Quote by vjferrara
it's you. i have had a schecter C-1 hellraiser with emg 81-85's and i love it! it's all a matter of opinion though. i've played jazz, blues, metal, classic rock, and funk with emg's. just depends on the player and the set up.

Just because you play it doesnt mean it sounded good.
Support new music, listen to my Prog Metal Band:
Open Wide, The Sky

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR White

Peavey 6505+ /w Mesa-Boogie Rectifier 2x12 Cab
it's not just you, i've seen a lot of people on here saying that emgs sound sterile. just comes down to preference like everything else.
Quote by Vinnie5
Just because you play it doesnt mean it sounded good.

oh vinnie. you missed the point. it's all opinion. it sounded great to me. that's my opinion. you're an idiot. that's a fact. see the difference?
They have no... well "nerve" if you ask me. But of course it does depend on the player.
I play Black metal, Metalcore, Nu Metal, Melodic death metal, Neo classical, and I'm in a Jazz ensemble. I guess they just don't fancy me. Just trying to see if I'm the only one with this feeling of "sterile"
emgs in standard have an sterile quality to them most ppl use them for drop tuning because they pick up low frequencies better
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
This has been debated quite a few times, though often in GGA if I remember right. Mostly it comes down to the player and setup as said, most EMG players use high gain and lose much of any specific tone there. Of course when slipknot is a huge endorser it's going to promote a "soulless tone" image about them, they're not typically made for lower gain styles, but a lot of gear designed for jazz guitarists is often used by metal guitarists, it all perspective, and that's all it ever will be.
I've got EMG-HZ's (Not active, but still EMG's) in my "heavy" guitar (a Vig Euruption, essentially a good Epiphone Les Paul). They don't sound fantastic, but they sound okay. They're pretty good for heavier stuff, especially with dropped tunings, and some gain on top, but with less gain, I do think they sound somewhat sterile.
I also own a Fender Strat (Eric Johnson signature) with the pups that come with it, and it sounds friggin' amazing, especially on cleans.
Last edited by Zeropathic at May 21, 2010,
It really comes down to personal opinion. I find active EMG's to be sterile. If you pop a set of EMG's in a guitar (Well, mostly an 81/85 set..) it will sound like every other guitar with that pair of EMG's. A 60 is a little less bland to me, but it is still an EMG at the core, and that produces that sterilization of tone.

Sure, if I had a guitar with active EMG's I wouldn't mind at all. But I would never buy them myself to install into a guitar I already own. I, personally, like passive electronics. I also find passive EMG-HZ pickups to be a better option for a guitar then the active counterpart.. But this is, of course, all my PERSONAL OPINION.

I'm not saying EMG's suck and they can only do the "ZOMG DA BR00TZ METAL!!!", they can be versatile if EQ'd right with a nice tube amp.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
they can be versatile if EQ'd right with a nice tube amp

not saying that they are the end all be all of humbuckers but when used for something other than metal they can be surprisingly good
It's totally a matter of personal taste. I think they sound quite lifeless too, kinda "boring", if you will. No character to them, just kinda flat and....how to put it?.....disinterested in what they're doing?

Just my opinion. I used to like them when I was younger, and still have some in a guitar, but my tastes have changed and my ears have matured vastly since then, and these days I find them quite boring/bland. Passive pickups are more interesting to my ears, more dynamic, and more rich.

But at the end of the days it's all about opinion; beauty is in the eye of the beholder just like tone is in the ear of the hearer. If Ibanez stock pickups are what does it for you, then play those. If $400 hand-wound works of art are what does it for you, play those.