I have been playing guitar on and off for about 4 years now. I have decided to make the most of it, go for it, start playing again, and try to get a band started.

I aspire to play Metal/Metalcore (Ala August Burns Red, Killswitch Engage, Metallica) and also be able to pull of some softer stuff like Rise Against and Alter Bridge. I am looking for an amp to handle metal and rock tones.

I just sold my Peavey Valveking 112 due to financial issues (thanks to the now ex girlfriend) as well as it just wasn't producing the sounds I wanted.

I have done some research and have it down to:
Marshall JCM 900 dual reverb
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Peavey 5150 II or 6505
ENGL Fireball E 365

So the big question is which of the amps I am looking into buying to kick start myself back into playing will best suit me? I am going to buy used with a $1000 limit on the head if that helps.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me!
Last edited by bigajvigs at May 21, 2010,
august burns red uses a peavey 6505 and 5150 if that helps (i have one, it is perfect)
If it's creative, true to your musical goal, and it sounds good, put it in the song.

1. Guitar, delay, verb, amp, and creativity.
2. Well-tuned acoustic piano and creativity.
3. A bottle of water.
i got a splawn nitro wich is what killswitch uses now but its out of ur price range but id say get a 5150 or 6505 and kt88 mod it the kt88's have a much better sound
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
is there a big market for the splawn nitro's used? or still out of my range??

and if I go for the 6505 or 5150 whats the story with the kt88 mod? what does it exactly do?

thanks for the help!!
Quote by selkies
i got a splawn nitro wich is what killswitch uses now but its out of ur price range but id say get a 5150 or 6505 and kt88 mod it the kt88's have a much better sound

I just want to point out how awesome your amp is. Splawn Nitros are freaking amazing, but really expensive.

I still recommend the 6505 to the other guy, unless he can find a good used Splawn Nitro.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Out of those, I'd say the Recto (if you can find one within your budget), since both Metallica and Killswitch have used them in the past (to my knowledge, anyways).

The 6505 would nail the higher gain stuff no problem, but Metallica also plays clean in a lot of their songs and that's where it would struggle.
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Last edited by rocknrolldude43 at May 21, 2010,
i really liked the 6505+ combo that just came out, and i don't generally like really heavy metal and that amp's fizzy tone on low volumes, but the combo had no issues and really versatile great tone at low and practice volumes. I would suggest that for a versatile amp in the genres you listed, plus it's only like 600 bucks new.
Dual rec or a bugera 6262.

Peavey 6505 cleans sounds like a goat farting in a fog
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Alter-Bridge uses Dual Recto's too, not sure if they still do but.
Don't get a 6505/5150 if you want any decent clean sound. The Recto's clean is pretty good.
I'd say either the Fireball or Dual Recto (or if you can afford it, the Roadster, much much better cleans then the Dual but similar high gain channels)
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
i'd go for the peavey. the mesa is good, but not as user-friendly, and the peavey is cheaper so its not as big of an investment to worry about
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
You could potentially wait for the Bugera TriRec.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Probably the Mesa.
The 900 would do the job but the only thing that would make it more appealing is if you wanted to do some modding. There are LOTS of mod circuits on the net for it. I'm going to start modding mine soon (if I get a chance between all the stuff I keep building). Quite nice cleans and crunch on channel A. It's a good punk amp but that's the only thing where it really outshines the others.
Not a fan of 5150s.
Never used an ENGL
Have you looked into Laneys?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^this.

Aren't Rise Against using them atm? Just thought I read that somewhere.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
If I go for the Peavey 5150 II or the 6505+ is there any way to get the cleans to sparkle through the use of a clean boost or anything?

Also, I hear talk of having the Peaveys biased to KT88, what does this mean?

And lastly, for any of the heads I am looking at what cab would suffice? I have been looking at a Marshall 1960B or Mesa Boogie, both feature V30's. Any Peavey cabs though? I know a guy who runs a Marshall JCM 800 through a Peavey cab loaded with Sheffield's and it sounds mint...
I'd look into older 2 channel Dual Rectos, as they are apparently better than the "newer" ones which have 3 channels (however the 2010 3-ch models are supposed to be killer...). It will also maintain its value in the long run, if you ever choose to sell it.

However, your best bet is to go and try out a bunch of amps with YOUR guitar to see which one sounds the best. Let your ears decide
2010 Fender American Special Strat (HSS)
1996 MIJ Fender Jag-Stang
Yamaha CPX700-12 (12-string acoustic-electric)
Epiphone acoustic-electric
1970's Fender Twin Reverb
Mesa/Boogie Roadster 212
Dunlop 535Q Wah
MXR 6-band eq
other random gear
The ENGL is definitely the best amp on that list.
Well, "IMO".
If I had that choice I'd take the Fireball in a heartbeat.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000