I was looking at both the Marshall 6100LM (the one with 5881 tubes) and the ENGL Blackmore and I am curious how these two amps stack up.

How do both of these amps sound compared to each other and which one is more versital without losing any tone or quality in each channel due to having muitple channels/knobs to manipulate the tone.
it all depends what you want to do... the 6100 is a jack of all trades, master of none IMO. It can do pretty much anything you want it to, from funk and blues right thru to br00tz, but it dosen't do anything brilliantly. The ENGL is much less versatile, but IMO sounds that little bit better, and is good for really tight, pristine cleans, that signature ENGL German tone, and of course medium-high gain music. I haven't really tried to kick it into any modern metal (I was too busy rocking out with a strat :p) but it does the blackmore tone really, really well.
I votes for teh blackmore.

Seriously dude, those things slay. The lead tone you can get with one is ridonculous. Also, they can handle modern metal just fine, considering they're stupid tight.

Just on principle, I think I'd take an ENGL over a marshall. Except maybe a plexi.
Blackmore. The 6100 is cool but there is just something about it I did not click with.
The ENGL Blackmore not versitile? I though a 4 channel amp that could go from almost fenderish cleans to enough gain and tone heavy enough for death metal would be pretty damn versitile.

What makes the 6100LM more versitile yet not as good (capable of all, master of none) as the ENGL?
The Blackmore is a single channel amp bro.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
The Blackmore is a single channel amp bro.

I'm pretty sure it's a 2 channel?

I've never used a Blackmore before, but a buddy of mine has one and I've heard it many times live. Having owned a 6100, just based off the tones he got, I'd rather have the Blackmore.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Crap. I was thinking of the wrong amp. Yea, it's 2 channel.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
It's two channels with two modes per channel, so basically works like a four channel amp. Only thing that seperates it from a "real" four channel amp is that it's only got one EQ. It's got enough gain for pretty much anything, but if you want to play über-br00tl-bree-bree music with it, an EQ pedal for some more low-end is worth looking into.

I like the Blackmore, never played the 6100 though. Both are crazy versatile, is all I know.
To me it seems like the main issues I have with each amp are:

Blackmore: Only one set of EQ controls for 2 channels (each with two different modes, so pretty much 4 channels) And I've heard its a bit on the bright side yet it is very clear

6100LM: The third channel can get fizzy if not EQ'd right
Ok last question concerning the two amps. Which is better at providing more vintage rock and metal tones? (70s and 90s hard rock and 80s thrash and heavy metal)
Quote by bartnijman
i would go with the blackmore if you want to play metal. seriously...

Thread is 4 months old
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com