i might even strip the finish off it

but i'm just wondering if i could take it upon myself to
re-shape the neck?

i really like the feel of my EC-1000 LDT-neck
and i really like the neck on my DKMG neck

i absolutely did not like my Ibanez Wizard-2 neck WAY TOO THIN

(Invalid img)
Last edited by sethp at May 21, 2010,
Sell it. Reshaping, or in other words, "conversion" necks are a hassle. You'd have to carve it smaller somehow, using some sort of tool and not **** it up.

There was a 59 LP for sale at a shop by my house with a 60's neck conversion. So it has been done, it's just not really worth it. It was done by a professional luthier... Probably cost a good chunk of change.
Quote by Waylanderau
... and unless you really know what your doing the potential for disaster is extremely high....

ok, so what's the "down" side to re-shaping the neck?
hee heehehe eh ehe hee ehe

i have no idea how to re-shape a neck
but i assume that i'd get a rasp of some sort
hahahaha hahaha haha ha

i didn't know wtf i was doing when i started **THIS** project:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1073966&highlight=my+jackson+dkmg+project

hahahaha, and this turned out "epic"

-- all i reallly need to do is take off some "girth" from the neck ... and switch out those nasty EMGs
and put in beefier strings
Last edited by sethp at May 21, 2010,
Taking of some girth would require either lots of coarse sand paper, or some kind of machine to cut a chuck off evenly down the neck.

With the EMG's, you'd need a new output jack and new pots.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Sell it. Reshaping, or in other words, "conversion" necks are a hassle. You'd have to carve it smaller somehow, using some sort of tool and not **** it up.

There was a 59 LP for sale at a shop by my house with a 60's neck conversion. So it has been done, it's just not really worth it. It was done by a professional luthier... Probably cost a good chunk of change.
+1
taking off a finish and reshaping the neck are two way different things. If you take too much off and forget to readjust the truss rod you could also warp the neck.

Just in general this is a bad idea.

Sell it instead, if you think you'll want to do stuff like this in the future practise on cheapo guitars first.
Quote by sethp
ok, so what's the "down" side to re-shaping the neck?
hee heehehe eh ehe hee ehe

i have no idea how to re-shape a neck
but i assume that i'd get a rasp of some sort
hahahaha hahaha haha ha

i didn't know wtf i was doing when i started **THIS** project:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1073966&highlight=my+jackson+dkmg+project

hahahaha, and this turned out "epic"

-- all i reallly need to do is take off some "girth" from the neck ... and switch out those nasty EMGs
and put in beefier strings

That was a cool project you linked to, but reshaping a neck is quite a bit different. If you're just re-finishing a guitar worst case scenario is you end up with a shitty looking guitar that still plays and sounds good. If things go awry when you're re-shaping your neck you may end up with a broken neck or one that warps so much as to be unplayable or you may simply take too much off or shape it the wrong way and end up with a profile you dislike as much or more than the original, with the added problem of not being able to sell it off for nearly as much. If you really, REALLY have to try it I recommend something like a surform plane or a spoke shave and remove tiny amounts at a time.