I live in PA, and I run a fan all the time in my room that is in my window and I came home today, and my B string had broken by itself, and the extra that goes on the tuning peg was also gone......

Not only is this eerie, but, is this even possible??

I have a Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse and I had Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings tuned to half step down.

Did the action/intonation have anything to do with it?? I have NO idea where the excess string that wraps around the tuning peg went.
Last edited by Don Quixote at May 21, 2010,
Did it look like you could put the string back on the guitar afterwards, like there was enough length?
Pick gnomes are getting worse.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Quote by L2112Lif
Did it look like you could put the string back on the guitar afterwards, like there was enough length?

No.

Also, the string that broke has little parts of the silver missing, and the metal core is exposed. It is possible that I tuned it too tight and the coating came off??
How old were your strings?
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
You don't have anybody body in your house that messes with your stuff?
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by cdr_salamander
You don't have anybody body in your house that messes with your stuff?

Nope.
Quote by muffinduck01
How old were your strings?

About two weeks. When I tried to tune them, they recently seemed kind of tough to tighten when I went to tune them.
Quote by Don Quixote
About two weeks. When I tried to tune them, they recently seemed kind of tough to tighten when I went to tune them.

If thats the case, it may have just been a bum string. I use Ernie Ball strings as well and I had a high E string snap as i was putting it on. It happens.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
I mean, it is possible for strings to break on their own. If the string was old or had been weakened at some point it could break under constant tension. Also, you have to remember that a guitar is made of wood and wood can expand or shrink due to temperatures and humidity.

That being said, it seems odd that the rest of the string would be missing. Sometimes on my cello, when a string breaks it might jettison the end of the string off the peg, but since guitars have gears on their tuning pegs, that seems unlikely since they wouldn't be able to rotate quickly enough to throw it off. Also, the fact that the string broke while it was tuned down seems a little odd too.
Last edited by Warrior47 at May 22, 2010,
Of course a string under that kind of tension can break, but I wouldn't say it was "on its own." If the string was just laying on a table, it couldn't break on its own, but under operating tension on your guitar, I'm not surprised that it happened.
Yes. I was in Guitar Center once and I was fidgeting with the amp settings, and the guitar was just sitting on my lap and the high E broke, don't know how.
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
Quote by Don Quixote
Okay, so, in other words, I shouldn't be thinking I'm going crazy??

I didn't say that at all.
maybe u strung it the wrong way, usually this is really bad for the nut ( i made that accident once and it costed me the stock nut, but then i went w/graph tusq so it all good), just be carefull when ur tuning, my personal trick is have the hole from the peg align with the nut, then tune up, its easy to remember and works for me
Eh.
It probably is possible. Under that amount of tension it really wouldn't surprise me if a string broke on it's own, especially if it was old or had a flaw in it.
My guitar's high E string snapped inside its gigbag.

It was an old set of strings (7 weeks) though so my reaction was more of 'it's about darn time'.

Yup, so no worries its very feasible.
Could be the temperature change in the room the guitar was in.

I've had this happen on my acoustic once, suddenly a string snapped out of nowhere, I wasn't even touching the guitar. It were very old strings though
"I'm not retreating, I'm initiating an offensive manouvre in the opposite direction!"
How did you find it??? Is it possible that the guitar fell over face down while you were out of the room??

ron666
My dad's Nylon has had this happen a few times now. String just goes poof. Not the same system as an electric ofc but with constant tension things can break. Unless it starts happening every time you string it up I wouldn't worry about it.
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW