I have some questions, and I'm sorry if they're incoherent due to lack of actual measurement of my range. I am at least countertenor, if not tenor, if that helps, and I am a singer in a power metal band, so I know that i can sing pretty high.

Anyway, I'm quite proud of my chest voice and feel very comfortable belting out fairly high notes as far as chest voice goes, and head voice (I think it's head voice, or at least really high falsetto, like at the very top of my range) is pretty powerful too. But in between these, in falsetto, but right above where my chest voice caps off, it sounds very weak. If I add more air in an attempt to get more power, it sounds close to breaking/cracking. If I don't...well, like I said, it sounds very weak and airy.

I'm convinced there must be a way around this, as I never hear such weak tone on professional albums, and therefore there must be some technique to avoid this problem. However, I have no idea what that would be, and it's really getting on my nerves. Please help.

Sincerely, Teh Snowkitty.
My Gear

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser

Peavey 5150

Shure SM57

M-Audio Fast Track

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor (3.20 GHz)

Reaper
I've been learning about this from my voice coach recently. As of now, there are some vocal muscles in your throat that are not as strong as others. This all depends on your voice, and how you use it. It will take a lot of practice, but you can strengthen these muscles that will help you produce those falsetto notes stronger and clearer. First off, you will want to practice using them more. The key is to start building up these muscles from almost nothing. You do not want to strain them. Practice scales and go through all of the in-between falsetto notes that you are having trouble with. Do not try to sing very loudly. It is perfectly acceptable for you to sing these notes at almost a whisper (at this point, when you are trying to build the muscles up) because if you are trying to force them to be louder, you will only risk strain. It's kind of the same concept as lifting weights. You can try to lift huge weights when your a scraweney dude, but you will most likely just strain yourself (: So make sure you start doing scales DAILY (I recommend at least 20-30 minutes a day, this is extra practice in addition to whatever excercises you usually do for your voice) that will work these muscles and hit those notes. Don't worry about being loud as first, just work on hitting the notes correctly and clearly. Over time these muscles will strengthen and you will definitely get a stronger and louder falsetto. This will not happen overnight, mind you. There are other excercises to work on the falsetto but it's kind of hard to explain over the internet. Obviously though, you can just practice doing scales with those notes, which will help a lot. (:
Quote by AlanHB
What's probably happening with those high notes is that they're in your passaggio, which are the last couple of notes in your range before falsetto. These notes are not easy to control without practice and formal instruction.

Try singing lower with your falsetto as it's range is easier to improve.

Shouting also helps you hit high notes easier.
I listen to mostly anything, except country and rap.