Short-and-sweet; I love the sound, look and feel of both of these guitars. I've decided that I want one of the two for my next guitar, but I'm torn between them. So, I figure that I'll get some opinions other than my own on which would be better for what I want from it since I love both too dearly to decide for myself.

~See sig for amp. To be run with various pedals found in profile, though generally lately I've just been cranking it and running straight in.
~Mainly a blues/rock player, though I do often delve into Jazz, Metal, country(Though I have a telecaster, which is just about the best country guitar you can have) surf rock(Strat for that, so also not an issue), and Russian, American and, as of late, Orienta,l folk music.
~I generally play with my fingers, but lately I've been getting into a lot of slide work, so I'd like this guitar to be a natural fit for slide playing.
~Main genres it'd be used in would be a bluesy southern rock kind of instrumental music, with occasional jumps to the left and right genre-wise, but not straying too far.
~Main influences that come to mind immediately to me in regards to my present playing are Dickey Betts and Duane Allman, the Yardbirds Holy Trinity of guitarists, Rory Gallagher, Albert Lee and Joe Walsh.

So, UG, thoughts between the two?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
for versatility, probably the lp. but there's something super exciting about playing a semi hollow through a cranked amp.
Blackstar HT 5
George Dennis Spitfire 2x10
LTD GL 200M
Agile Ghost III
Warmoth SSS Tele with Floyd Rose
Ibanez Artcore AM73
I <3 Arcade Fire, Rainbow, Dungen, Muse, Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, Kate Bush etc.
ROCK OPERA!!
UG Rock Opera tracks
Quote by Steph Bets
for versatility, probably the lp. but there's something super exciting about playing a semi hollow through a cranked amp.

this. especially if your gonna play some slide. ideally you'd have an extra guitar for that so you can keep it in an open tuning and maybe have a raised action (i use an old knockoff strat). cant beat that hollowbody/slide combination ran into a good tube amp cranked to 11.

but the LP will give you ALOT of different sounds.
Aye, I was thinking that the Les Paul would probably make sense, but I managed to get the manager of a shop I'm friends to let me crank a 335 into a Marshall Heritage Handwired 50W head with an attenuator, and I was almost ready to steal the money for that sound, that's the sort of thing there's virtually no going back from, and that's why I'm torn. THe Les Paul will do more of what I want, but the 335 will do it better.

Personally I'd go for the 335, but I've always had a soft spot for them.

I suppose the alternative is to split your budget and get knockoffs of both.
Quote by Sir Anonymous
Personally I'd go for the 335, but I've always had a soft spot for them.

I suppose the alternative is to split your budget and get knockoffs of both.

I have to disagree with this. Because he'd just end up with 2 mediocre guitars that leave a lot to be desired, as opposed to one very nice one. and knock-off les pauls and 335s tend to lack the same sort of versatility as a real gibson or another similarly priced alternative. If you keep on buying mediocre guitars you're just going to end up buying more and more because you're not satisfied with what you have, and then you'll realise you could've got something really good with the money you wasted on knock-offs, and the knockoffs have little to no resale value. Quality over Quantity, i say.

Anyway.. I think if you're undecided you should just go into a load of shops and play a load of les pauls and 335s and just wait until you find one that feels right for you, when you find it you'll know. patience is the key to satisfaction.

Believe me, when i bought my gibson i was torn between a les paul and an SG, going into all sorts of different shops playing loads, but ended up getting a les paul because i couldn't find anything i liked as much as this one particular LP studio that just happened to be in the nearest decent guitar shop. I urge anyone to do the same if they are ever undecided on a particular model especially if those 2 models are both brilliant for all the same styles of music. that way you don't know if you'll end up with a les paul or a 335 until you buy, but at least you won't end up thinking "i made the wrong decision" when you get one or the other.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Go for the 335, it is very versatile...I may be a bit biased as I bought one new in '86, but they are a great guitar.
Gibson ES335
Ibanez RG370DXGP
Ibanez SA Series
Fender Acoustic
Marshall JCM800 1-12 split channel
I'd say if you're considering the LP try one that's chambered vs weight relieved. The chambering won't sound like a hollow body but will be accoustically livelier than the solid or WR models. Standards are now chambered. Feedback can be an issue with the hollow bodied models which is why BB Kings 335 is custom with no F holes and more solid wood inside. Another consideration is construction type and humidity. With the LP you don't really have to worry about it too much but with the 335 there are areas on that guitar that may suffere from excessive dryness.
Moving on.....
the 335

if you guys think effects wont go through them well, listen to some rush fools!
and if believe me, listen to some rush anyways!
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Alright, thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it. Overall though, considering my past experiences with Gibson's QC, I think blompcube probably has the best idea; all of them are done by hand for a large part of the manufacturing, and the necks are sanded by hand, so it's a fairly individualistic thing that I ought to be sure of in-person rather than just because of the models.

also because the 339/336 is the best thing since slice bread.
pre-sliced bread.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Eh, I tried a 339, and I wasn't very fond of it. Give me a Les Paul or give me a 335, not a mini-335. I'm a big guy though, so that may have something to do with my dislike of the smaller body.

I didn't like the 339 cuz the size + the laminate top made it sound like mud. But the 336 with the one piece maple cap definitely sounds great. I'm tiny so the 335 is too hard for me to play.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer