okay so basically i was going to buy the carvin v3 but the freaking combo is 82 pounds wtf??

so i am thinking about getting the head version. I know everyone (almost) on here says that no one needs a 100 Watt stack but for this purpose i think it would suit me better.

my basic question is would having a 2x12 combo be same volume as having a head/2x12 cab. it might all depend on what i get but in a general situation.

also is there anything else that versatile that is not 100 watts? I would prefer tube and i dont mind going used.

my budget is 1000$
i need something that can do everything equally good. Most important right now is a really nice crunch/gain ( i dont mind buying a OD pedal for boost) sadly i like gain that are very tight but i also have days where i will prefer the sag more than a tight punch sort of gain.
and i would prefer to have nice Red hot chili peppers clean or mabye sparkling bright clean.

so yea i know this is a lot to ask for but anything helps! thanks!
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Yes, having a 2x12 combo would be the same as having a head/2x12 cab volume wise.

And running a 4x12 wouldn't get you too much more volume over running a 2x12.

I favor the Head/Cab setup over a combo too. My Flextone III XL combo is 78 pounds...

My Z head is maybe 20lbs, and cab 30lbs. I would rather make 2 trips and save my back.

I also think the option to try out other cabs, is darn convenient running a head.
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at May 22, 2010,
Same perceptible volume but a combo is normally open backed and the 2x12 cab will probably be closed backed. Closed backs have a tighter bottom end. Open backs are good if you want to play loose, dirty rock and roll. Closed backs are better for everything else pretty much.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
okay thanks

any recommendations for a really nice cheap cab?

i dont really have a lot of cash so 1000$ should go into cab+head

the head i'll probably get for 700 or so i could probably squeeze a bit more money into the cab if needed?
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
alright
i was already set on avatars but i was just checking to see if theres any other better cabs for the money.

Do you think a 1x 12 is loud enough for small gigs?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Sure, but it wont handle a 100 watt head. Well unless you get a 100 watt speaker.

Ive gigged with a 30 watt 1x12, easily loud enough to fill a theater.
yea but i dont know what amp to get.
i'm a guy that wants versatility.
and i dont like amps with like 5 knobs ( for me idk why but it feels really plain) i mean technically i dont really care if its a good amp though. I just want independent Bass/mid/treble/volume for each channel and re-verb would be nice.
also a amp with foot switchable channels

So is their any amps that isnt 100 watts that is versatile?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
Do you think a 1x 12 is loud enough for small gigs?

Yeah, but most people seem to prefer 2x12s, just for that little extra bit of headroom. 9 times out of 10 though, your amp will be mic'ed anyway, so it doesn't matter that much.
Ibanez Musician ('78)/Epiphone G-400/Fender Lite Ash Telecaster/Michael Kelly Valor X->Polytune->EX-7->Crybaby->OD-9->BD-2->EVH Phase 90->Hayden Mofo

Send->EHX DMB->DL-8->RV600->Return

Friends are like potatoes: If you eat them, they die.
yea but like today i'm gigging at a party and they have no mics.
And since it is outdoor do you think it will be enough to fill the volume?

actually i'm not too worried about my volume casue my 30 watt solid state over powers my drummer XD

but anyways on amp heads/ combos what options do i have? i dont want anything thats like 100 watts. Something thats around 50 watts or lower. (theres always a exception though.)
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit