Hey UG.

So I've been looking into compressor pedals. I've always been hesitant to try them because I didn't know what to use them for or what they did. But I like to fingerpick and was hoping it would even out the sound and bring fullness to each note. Also, those fast-attack chords I hear on Pink Floyd's Run Like Hell and The Police's Walking on the Moon are from compression? I was looking at the BBE Opto Stomp. Thanks!
Agile Intrepid 8
S-gear Scuffham Amps
an EQ pedal can also solve all ur uneven tone problems. and if u use the boost function infront of the preamp u get a compressed tone too.

But a compression will probably do the trick, but i've always had problems with compression with extra noise.

But... as always... go to a guitar store and try both the compressor and EQ pedals.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by julzius
an EQ pedal can also solve all ur uneven tone problems.

no, no it cant. you can use an EQ to balance the frequency range in the way you want it, which can be helpful if you are in a wierd room or something. a compressor can/will balance the volume level of what you play, keeping it more consistant.

But a compression will probably do the trick, but i've always had problems with compression with extra noise.
now this is true. compressors do add noise. since they raise the level of all quiet sounds, that includes noise.

what kind of budget are we talking for the compressor here? there are a bunch of good compressors out there that arent hugely expensive, but most are more than the opto comp.
Quote by julzius
an EQ pedal can also solve all ur uneven tone problems. and if u use the boost function infront of the preamp u get a compressed tone too.

But... as always... go to a guitar store and try both the compressor and EQ pedals.

Toodles!

Ignore that.

A compressor will work perfectly for your situation. I've never tried the BBE Opto Stomp, but BBE makes quality stuff. I've been using the BBE Green Screamer for a few years and can't complain. I have the Boss CS-2 that I picked up last year. It does the trick, but if you do a lot of finger picking I'd suggest saving up for a Keeley comp. They're not cheap, but they're very worth it.
I'm quite a fan of the Philosopher's Tone by Pigtronix from the reviews I've seen, but I've heard some negative things from forums and such about them. *Shrugs*
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

the keeley compressors are some of the best no doubt, but the industry standard as far as cheaper pedals is the mxr dynacomp
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Yeah thanks guys I just got the TC Electronic Nova Delay and I love it... I've been playing Run Like Hell a lot, and I wanted that chorused fast-attack chord sound. I will be doing more research to find the best one for me.
Agile Intrepid 8
S-gear Scuffham Amps