So I'm planning to install the Dimarzio Crunch Lab and Liquifire pickups into my H-S-H Ibanez, and I'm looking around for a single coil pickup to complement them. I want a good clean tone to come from this pickup, but I'd like it to be noiseless, preferably.

I play a variety of styles (modern rock, high-gain (not scooped metal though), and progressive rock) through a Bugera V55.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Budget is not a tremendous issue, but I'd like to keep it under $150 USD.
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at May 22, 2010,
DiMarzio Red Velvet for more texture.

DiMarzio Blue Velvet for a more old school sound.

Lace Sensor Hot Gold for noiseless-ness.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
if you are into dimarzios like kitty said, blue velvet is great.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
if you are into dimarzios like kitty said, blue velvet is great.

I personally prefer the Red Velvet for a fatter and fuller sound.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by NakedInTheRain
What do you guys think about the EVO middle pickup? I just realised that I'd want it to be RW/RP for noise cancelling on 2 and 4, so that kinda kicks noiseless out. :/

I think that the EVOs make you sound too close to Vai.

Great if you love his tone.

Bad if you want a unique tone.

I personally don't like his tone for the music I play, so I dislike the Evolution range of pickups. So it's really more a matter of taste. its pretty good for high gain tones, just short of the br00talz. It's pretty good for prog, but is a little too refined / smooth for rock IMO.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
^He meant the EVO middle Kitty
Where were you going to get it from? Dimarzio dont sell them because of their contract with Ibanez, but they show up on ebay fairly often. I dont know a lot about their sound though.
Quote by littlephil
^He meant the EVO middle Kitty
Where were you going to get it from? Dimarzio dont sell them because of their contract with Ibanez, but they show up on ebay fairly often. I dont know a lot about their sound though.

Yeah yeah, I am aware.

I did some electronic modding on a Jem last year.

It really does give you that Vai tone.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Fair enough. I didnt think Vai used it that much.
What Vai tone are you talking though? His Alien Love Secrets tone is godly!
Quote by littlephil
Fair enough. I didnt think Vai used it that much.
What Vai tone are you talking though? His Alien Love Secrets tone is godly!

Hmm... not any specific tone.

I always find that Vai's tone have a few characteristics which don't really change.

1. Very smooth
2. Mid heavy
3. Shimmering top end

The Evoluation pickups have that sound and that is the same for the middle pickup.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Cool. I pretty much never use middle pickups, no matter what guitar I play so I wouldnt really notice
IMO his tone on ALS is the best he's ever had.
Quote by littlephil
IMO his tone on ALS is the best he's ever had.

+infinity. Every time I hear the solo start in Tender Surrender, I jizz a little.

And yes, I was planning on getting it off eBay. And I decided against getting the Evolution bridge and neck humbuckers because I've heard that although they're great for screaming guitar leads, they can't really calm down for more mellow stuff. But I reckon I'll end up getting the EVO middle. I was after something that was a little punchy anyway.
I don't know how you guys even have time to appreciate his tone. His playing is plenty epic that his tone is the last thing I worry about.

Just to set the record straight, the Evolution range of pickups ARE BLOODY VERSATILE! They can go from screaming leads to crunchy rhythm to down to smooth mellowy sounds, the issue lies in knowing how to coax the sound out of your amp.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
I don't know how you guys even have time to appreciate his tone. His playing is plenty epic that his tone is the last thing I worry about.

Haha, yes his playing is freaking awesome, but I dig his tone equally. It's just so goddamn freaking awesomely god-like...so smooth and organic.
Quote by ragingkitty
Just to set the record straight, the Evolution range of pickups ARE BLOODY VERSATILE! They can go from screaming leads to crunchy rhythm to down to smooth mellowy sounds, the issue lies in knowing how to coax the sound out of your amp.
Really? Didn't know that...from what I've seen around teh interwebz, the general consensus is that they're hard to calm down....well I'll have to keep that in mind if I don't like the Petrucci pups. Hey, I'll be able to sell them around the same price as the evos, so no great loss.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
Haha, yes his playing is freaking awesome, but I dig his tone equally. It's just so goddamn freaking awesomely god-like...so smooth and organic.

There you go... that's the smooth character i was talking about. The pickups have a key role to play in that smooth sound.

Quote by NakedInTheRain
Really? Didn't know that...from what I've seen around teh interwebz, the general consensus is that they're hard to calm down....well I'll have to keep that in mind if I don't like the Petrucci pups. Hey, I'll be able to sell them around the same price as the evos, so no great loss.

Thats because so many numbskulls never think to use their tone knob. When you play through a tube amp with the Evo pickups, the volume and tone are key to sculpting your tone. The Evos are very sensitive and focused pickups, so twiddling your volume from 10 -> 9 gives you one sound. Going from 10 -> 8.5 on your tone gives your sound different character.

Once you figure out how to coax that tone out of your amp and pups, you'll find that short of the raw and rough tone of metal and hardcore, the Evos can cover so many grounds.

I mentioned doing some electronics modding a while back... that was to wire this guy's Jem to have DPDT volume and tone knobs installed so he can coil split his bridge and neck humbuckers. My gosh... the sound you get from split Evo give you a whole different tone playground to play in.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at May 23, 2010,
Quote by ragingkitty
My gosh... the sound you get from split Evo give you a whole different tone playground to play in.

Not an Evo, but the middle position on my JPM sounds incredible!
Quote by littlephil
Not an Evo, but the middle position on my JPM sounds incredible!

Mm, I want to do some additional wiring when I go to install the new pups....see if I can't get me some Killzone mode.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
Mm, I want to do some additional wiring when I go to install the new pups....see if I can't get me some Killzone mode.

The are quite a few mods out there you can consider. Personally I feel that the DPDT Serial-Parallel humbuckers are awesome... if you can get your mind around the wiring that is.

The option to have coil splitting is nice too... but I feel that the split 'buckers sound a little weak and prefer the parallel wired 'buckers sound.

Also try to swap out the caps on your tone knob to give it some darker or brighter roll-offs. If you're good, you can even install a DPDT to give you different cap values on your tone pot.

My personal favourite mod is the Torres Engineering mid-cut/mid-boost tone knob on a DPDT. Granted that the mid-"boost" option is rather limited in its use, the mid cut side can really bring you into chugga chugga territory if you use it properly... only hassle is that the inductor... i remember that inductor isn't easy to come by, short of buying from Mouser (part number 42TL019-RC). Its rather gimmicky... and you'd probably remove it after a few months... but its a nice little toy to confuse people when you use it haha.

One thing I find is that if you were to swap out the volume and tone pots, it gives your tone better clarity... so you could consider it. Just remember you want a logarithmic taper for your volume and an audio taper for your tone.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at May 24, 2010,