I saved enough $ to buy myself some distortion pedals in the summer. I never used a pedal before, but i want to get this grunge sound outta my guitar. I want something like in uh....Nirvana's first album Bleach, a "dirty", unclear, sludgy sound. Or maybe something like "Touch Me Im Sick" by Mudhoney. What pedals should i buy to start with? I can afford like 3 or 4 , but im gonna maybe only buy 2 or something...
Mudhoney used Fuzz pedals back then. Hence the name "superfuzz bigmuff". But the classic Mudhoney sound was pretty much archieved in studio, or so I've heard. The mixer made the guitars sound really, really muddy and mean. I don't know how they archieved it live.

Nirvana used Boss DS-1 pedals, and later moved to DS-2.
The important thing is to never stop questioning. - Albert Einstein

I'm guessing this one would be nice. I haven't tried it out but I think the title speaks for itself.

This is what I use and I can get most Nirvana sounds by tinkering around a bit. Plus this is a cheaper pedal but is a little less versatile than other pedals.
i'll add to this seeing as i love both those bands. the ds2 is great if you want to sound like nirvana but thats about it. you can get a great touch me i'm sick sound from a big muff. i used to love both these pedals but these days i use a Death by Audio Fuzz War. amazing pedal. As much as i love the sound of the big muff, i couldn't use it for live situations because it just doesn't cut through the mix.

so all in all, i would get a fuzz war and a USA big muff or maybe some sort of big muff clone like a blackout effectors musket fuzz. actually wihth a musket and a fuzz war you would be set for alot of different tones.

Then again you are playing it through a spider and imo fuzz pedals and solid state don't work. and those of you who are thinking nah the JC120 is awsome for a soid state and takes pedals, i have played through one and imo is sucked major nuts.
Quote by mmolteratx
It's all a waste with the Spider.

I totally agree with you. Actually, I hate my amp, dunno why i bought it. (It was like on sale or something....)
Quote by DeadSoloist
hey how much you gnna save up till you buy your strat?

Probably gonna get it next year.... Its cuz im all stressed out since my ESP is my only guitar and i dont want anytihng to happen to it. I love fenders and the strats pretty cheap. So im gonna get a strat for like gigs, performances, outdoors use, etc. And i wanna get something that i feel comfortable with and could smack around and stuff. If i get one i'll like nickname it "Fender Abused" or something
Okay, uhm, how to put it politely?

You're doing it all wrong.

Your amp is terrible. New pedals won't make it any less terrible. A new strat won't make it any less terrible, either. The pedals that have been recommended by the first three guys in here are also terrible (current Boss DS1 and DS2 pedals blow, vintage ones are supposed to be better).

What I'm trying to say is: Your amp needs to be replaced. Invest the money you were planning on spending on the other stuff in a new amp instead.
A DS-1 in front of a Spider?

Bleach on a Spider just aint gonna happen.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by TheQuailman
Okay, uhm, how to put it politely?

You're doing it all wrong.

Your amp is terrible. New pedals won't make it any less terrible. A new strat won't make it any less terrible, either. The pedals that have been recommended by the first three guys in here are also terrible (current Boss DS1 and DS2 pedals blow, vintage ones are supposed to be better).

What I'm trying to say is: Your amp needs to be replaced. Invest the money you were planning on spending on the other stuff in a new amp instead.

ds1's have changed but ds2's are almost exactly the same as they used to be. i have read some reviews saying the first mode on a ds2 sounds very close to the old ds1's. i wouldn't know though. i do know that a ds2 through a nice amp can be a great sounding pedal.

TS doesn't have a nice amp so no don't get the ds2.
Quote by joe_k
ds1's have changed but ds2's are almost exactly the same as they used to be. i have read some reviews saying the first mode on a ds2 sounds very close to the old ds1's. i wouldn't know though. i do know that a ds2 through a nice amp can be a great sounding pedal.

TS doesn't have a nice amp so no don't get the ds2.

Yeah... I don't really know the details, all I know is I don't care much for the current Boss distortion boxes. It's possible to coax a decent sound out of even a DS1, but you need a a good amp for that, which the TS doesn't have. (And thinking about it, people who have a nice amp usually don't buy a DS1).
Quote by TheQuailman
Yeah... I don't really know the details, all I know is I don't care much for the current Boss distortion boxes. It's possible to coax a decent sound out of even a DS1, but you need a a good amp for that, which the TS doesn't have. (And thinking about it, people who have a nice amp usually don't buy a DS1).

Yeah i know my amp sucks, i hate it too and its the worst decision in my life to buy the amp.... But wat kinda amp do u suggest? (Brand, model, etc. so i could search it up)
Quote by Leek
Yeah i know my amp sucks, i hate it too and its the worst decision in my life to buy the amp.... But wat kinda amp do u suggest? (Brand, model, etc. so i could search it up)

What is the limit of your budget?
Quote by whitenihilist
What is the limit of your budget?

maybe around or less than $200, a beginner or practice amp is fine, as long it kinda generates the sound i wanted.
Quote by whitenihilist
They are good practice amps, better than the Spider series that is for sure.

Not a particularly big claim to fame

The VT is better but so is a cat in a mangle.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification