I am trying to learn sweep picking, and i understand the concept and how to do it, and i can get both my hands synced together, but what i have trouble with is muting unwanted noise, Normal playing i can mute fine, but during sweep picking it just gets all muffled. So any advice for a relative beginner to sweep picking on muting?

also one other question, about how much gain do you want when sweeping? and should i use the neck pickup or the bridge?
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
Last edited by camaross427 at May 22, 2010,
Do it slower and put as much effort into to minimizing unwanted noise as possible. YOu really need to slow it right down and focus on getting the technique right.

The amount of gain you use is irrelevant, you can sweep with a clean sound or a punch you in the face metal sound depending on what you are after.
Inhuman evil take down!
having a light touch on your fretting hand helps
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by 18th_Angel
Do it slower and put as much effort into to minimizing unwanted noise as possible. YOu really need to slow it right down and focus on getting the technique right.

The amount of gain you use is irrelevant, you can sweep with a clean sound or a punch you in the face metal sound depending on what you are after.

all right thanks, so i'll just keep pushing and get it eventually.
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
Quote by camaross427
all right thanks, so i'll just keep pushing and get it eventually.

Pretty much. The biggest problem with sweeping people seem to have is expecting to be able to do too much too soon - keeping at it is pretty much the only way to go
Inhuman evil take down!
the neck pickup seems to slurr sweeps, which is good sometimes. but it can hide some flaws that you do

The bridge is a very unforgiving pickup, every string u don't mute will ring, if u accidentally do harmonics they'll ring out.

So to get perfect technique in this, practice on the bridge.
To get a slurred sound, use the neck. (Yngwie Malmsteen)
If you want sharp defined sweeps, use the bridge (Michael Angelo Batio)

It took me like a year to get my sweeping skills up to a level where it sounds listenable, but i am still working on cleaning them up more and more.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
I use my fret hand just as much as my pick hand to mute. After you fret a note don't entirely lift your finger off the string to reduce the ring it will create, similar to a P.O. This also makes it easier to use your pick hand to mute the strings the rest of the way. Slow it down like was mentioned to make sure your doing it right.
When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show.
When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.

-The Great George Carlin