Ok, right now I have a horribad Marshall MG 30FX. I know I'm probably not the first person to say this but it's a piece of shit in a box with some wires that just happens to produce sound. I was thinking of getting

This, as a Head: http://www.orangeamps.com/products.asp?Action=View&ID=55

This, as a Cabinet: http://www.orangeamps.com/products.asp?Action=View&ID=85

What are your guys' opinions on them? And, if they arent that good, can you guys suggest one for me? I'm basically going to be playing metal.

Edit: I was also thinking about getting A Sommatone Outlaw Head and Cab, any opinions on those?
Last edited by Voliminal110 at May 22, 2010,
The Orange will make you mess yourself after an MG. Excellent cab, up there with a Mesa.

Never heard of Sommatone. Off to google I go.

Edit. You can get those Sommatones custom built to your own specs. How I'd love to try one of those amps, they look divine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 22, 2010,
get the orange, im assuming by your name you play a bit of slipknot. Orange cabs are good for high gain
Do you really need the 100w version? That's gonna be a HUGE volume jump from a 30w SS amp... The Rockerverb is a fantastic amp, and I'd definitely recommend it, but 50w tube is so loud I think that for most people it's a much better choice.
Well, I haven't really played any slipknot in a while..I've just had this name for a while and it stuck. I'm more into metalcore/deathcore/hardcore...Bands like The Devil Wears Prada, Born of Osiris, Attack Attack!, Asking Alexandria, Suicide Silence, Miss May I...bands like that.

I'm getting the 100W one since I joined a band I am eventually going to be doing shows with it.
Last edited by Voliminal110 at May 22, 2010,
Orange make some very good amps and cabs.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by Voliminal110

I'm getting the 100W one since I joined a band I am eventually going to be doing shows with it.

I gigged for years with a 50w stack and a 100w stack. 50w is WAY more than adequate.

I currently gig with a 5w tube amp. You'll never be able to turn your amp up enough to access those extra 50 watts. Trust me. 50w tube is absolutely deafening past noon on the MV.
Quote by Voliminal110
Well, I haven't really played any slipknot in a while..I've just had this name for a while and it stuck. I'm more into metalcore/deathcore/hardcore...Bands like The Devil Wears Prada, Born of Osiris, Attack Attack!, Asking Alexandria, Suicide Silence, Miss May I...bands like that.

You STILL don't need 100W with a band doing shows. TRUST ME. I would kill for the 50 watt version of my amp.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by josephde
I gigged for years with a 50w stack and a 100w stack. 50w is WAY more than adequate.

I currently gig with a 5w tube amp. You'll never be able to turn your amp up enough to access those extra 50 watts. Trust me. 50w tube is absolutely deafening past noon on the MV.

+1
I have used my 60W valve amp for about 20 years in all sorts of venues. I have never wished I could get more volume out of it - even at outdoor gigs.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
There won't really be that much volume difference between 50 watts and 100 watts will there? I'd imagine it's really just a good bit more headroom with a tad more volume.

I'm not a metal player. Do you need lots of headroom for metal? Do you use mostly preamp or power amp distortion for metal tones?

If you need preamp distortion then the 50 watt head will be more than sufficient unless you're playing stadiums. If you need power amp saturation then the 50 watt head will be better unless you're playing stadiums. If you need to completely avoid power amp distortion then the 100 watt head would be the ticket if you are really planning to get loud... like really, really, ridiculously loud.
Last edited by jimtaka at May 22, 2010,
Quote by jimtaka

If you need preamp distortion then the 50 watt head will be more than sufficient unless you're playing stadiums. If you need power amp saturation then the 50 watt head will be better unless you're playing stadiums.

... plenty of great guitarist play stadiums with 5-15w amps. If anything, you'd need less wattage at that point because your being mic'ed by top sound guys, providing none of your own stage volume, using in-ear monitors, and spread out so far that mic bleed isn't a worry at all - and mic bleed is the one excuse I could understand for someone not wanting to gig with an amp under 5w.

Even with my 5w I've never been able to turn it up more than halfway at a gig. And that's right under the point where it starts to break up.
^-- I know. I started to put "unless you're playing stadiums without a sound system." I figured there was no point in getting into it since I was still saying the lower watt head was a better option.
Quote by jimtaka
^-- I know. I started to put "unless you're playing stadiums without a sound system."

lol its all good man. I just see that phrase on here all the time and I don't get it.
Quote by josephde
lol its all good man. I just see that phrase on here all the time and I don't get it.

I know. What sort of amp could compete with a stadium PA - and why would you want to?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification