I play drums for a band and it has been getting irritating and frustrating most of the time now.

I live on Oahu in Hawaii, but the problem is that I live on one side of our island and they live on the other side. It's a major waste of gas for me and my parents.

For the first few months, I know that we sucked. And we still do, but they don't think so. Whenever I got an idea to make us sound better, I got no time to tell it because our guitarist, who also does vocals, just wants to learn as many songs as we can, but they really sound like shit. We play ska/reggae, but he spends most of his time playing metal music, I mean, I do play metal, but not as much as now because I'm trying to focus and get better at it, but our guitarist spends most of his time just randomly playing and he just starts playing random stuff right before I try to give an opinion and when I do, he just bites his nails and when I finish, he just goes like "What?. That's stupid!" I mainly just try to offer some help on vocal harmonies and whether his chords are right or not. I'm normally right, but he doesn't care and he mad us sound like shit for thirteen of our sixteen gigs.

I don't mean to just rip on the guitarist, but we are a three piece.

The bassist, he never ever practices and I always have to tell him to find tabs, but he never does. We waste hours of a day of band practice just either looking for tabs or making one up and then teaching it to him. He always thinks we sound good, but the songs he said were our best were always our worst, according to the audiences. He smokes weed almost all the time and he got me hooked, but I quit that stuff already. I'm chill with him most of the time though because me and him don't like our singer.

But really. I don't want to stay with this band. It doesn't seem worth it.
I think you answered your own question there. I don't know about the scene there so I can't comment of finding another band.
Quote by sgc09

U already answered ur own question.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Don't play with people on drugs, they're idiots most of the time.
Quote by its_alive
It's just like breaking up with a girl.
Explain that you'd really love to help take care of the baby, but you have to move to South Africa.
Quote by Legend Jedicsc
Don't play with people on drugs, they're idiots most of the time.

Hey, hey ...
Quote by sgc09
I play drums for a band and it has been getting irritating and frustrating most of the time now.

I live on Oahu in Hawaii, but the problem is that I live on one side of our island and they live on the other side. It's a major waste of gas for me and my parents.
Well you could always get the band to pitch in for a practice space towards the center of the island.

For the first few months, I know that we sucked. And we still do, but they don't think so. Whenever I got an idea to make us sound better, I got no time to tell it because our guitarist, who also does vocals, just wants to learn as many songs as we can, but they really sound like shit. We play ska/reggae, but he spends most of his time playing metal music, I mean, I do play metal, but not as much as now because I'm trying to focus and get better at it, but our guitarist spends most of his time just randomly playing and he just starts playing random stuff right before I try to give an opinion and when I do, he just bites his nails and when I finish, he just goes like "What?. That's stupid!" I mainly just try to offer some help on vocal harmonies and whether his chords are right or not. I'm normally right, but he doesn't care and he mad us sound like shit for thirteen of our sixteen gigs.
Since he refuses to take your suggestions you should just quit. A band is a unit, and everyone should have a voice in that unit. It's not just the guitarists band. You're just as important as him.

I don't mean to just rip on the guitarist, but we are a three piece.

The bassist, he never ever practices and I always have to tell him to find tabs, but he never does. We waste hours of a day of band practice just either looking for tabs or making one up and then teaching it to him. He always thinks we sound good, but the songs he said were our best were always our worst, according to the audiences. He smokes weed almost all the time and he got me hooked, but I quit that stuff already. I'm chill with him most of the time though because me and him don't like our singer.

Hmm let me think about that... you could just get rid of the bassist. From the sounds of it you make it out like you're serious about music, so you need yo be around serious musicians. And I highlighted the part in the blue because you're full of shit. He didn't make you smoke a joint with him it was your choice so that makes it your fault. You're responsible for your self, so if he offered you a hit off his joint/pipe or whatever and you took it it's your fault not his. End of story.

Hey look at that TS you just answered your own question.

Hope that helped.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
He smokes weed almost all the time and he got me hooked, but I quit that stuff already.

Wait, you can get hooked on weed? And if you did you couldn't just drop it like that.
Inhuman evil take down!
Quote by 18th_Angel
Wait, you can get hooked on weed?

You can?
Quote by pwrmax
You can?

You can, but it required a far bit of regular use over an extended period of time to get there. Once "there" the pot smokers will generally say that they don't feel "normal" unless they've smoked weed. They definitely don't act normal :P

Not sure if your friend is there yet - I'm talking about people who get stoned everyday for 1-2 years at least.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Not sure how it is in your area, but where I'm from, drummers are in the most demand out of all musicians. If you do decide to leave this band, which you should in my opinion, finding another guitarist and bassist won't be a terribly difficult task.

Drug use aside, if your guitarist can't take constructive criticism, and your bassist isn't willing to put forth the effort asked of him, both of those are terrible qualities for artists and team players, both of which a bandmate needs to be.

Also, as for the addiction thing, yeah, you can, I've known some people who were. I also recently saw some pro-pot propaganda, in which they stated that about 10% of pot users are addicts.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Last edited by Mephysteaux at May 24, 2010,
Quote by AlanHB
You can, but it required a far bit of regular use over an extended period of time to get there. Once "there" the pot smokers will generally say that they don't feel "normal" unless they've smoked weed. They definitely don't act normal :P

Not sure if your friend is there yet - I'm talking about people who get stoned everyday for 1-2 years at least.

Hmm, I've smoked everyday for about 2 years now and last month I took a month off because of school, and I have to say that after 2 days I didn't even think "oh man weed would be great right now". Damn it was much easier than cigarettes anyway.
Inhuman evil take down!
Quote by 18th_Angel
Hmm, I've smoked everyday for about 2 years now and last month I took a month off because of school, and I have to say that after 2 days I didn't even think "oh man weed would be great right now". Damn it was much easier than cigarettes anyway.

Just a month and back on it?

Some people may be different, I'm talking from personal experience. Did you know a symptom of a heavy pot user/addict is punching holes in walls? Crazy eh? My school used to have heaps of them haha.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud

Some people may be different, I'm talking from personal experience. Did you know a symptom of a heavy pot user/addict is punching holes in walls? Crazy eh? My school used to have heaps of them haha.

Naw man, that's a symptom of being a high school douche.
Inhuman evil take down!
it depends on what type of addiction you are talking about. physical addiction - no. mental addiction - hell yes. but how can you not become mentally addicted to something you love? i bet all of us are mentally addicted to guitars. some of us may be mentally addicted to cheeseburgers. no one ever goes through withdrawl for any of the things i just listed. the difference between a real addiction is that your body starts to depend on something to function. idk about you but i dont need to smoke a pipe to keep the nausea away. i wouldnt sell anything i own (or steal anything) just to get a dime bag. weed is not addicting, its the person.

Quote by AlanHB

ive been gettin stoned everyday for prolly 5 years. mentally addicted for sure. you forget about it after a day anyways. ive quit a few times, longest time span was over a year. no big deal really. life is good high or not, its just different.

on a side note, i totally forgot what this thread is about....oh yeah! yeah just quit that shit.
Last edited by xXMetal-HeadXx at May 25, 2010,