Can anyone explain to me the difference beteen the Jewish religion and race?

I have always been confused, is Judiasm a Religion or Race of people?
During world war 2, did Hitler prosecute anyone who practiced the Jewish religion, or all people from the race?
Sorry, im just really confused.
Last edited by GoldfishMoon at May 22, 2010,
It's a religion which, by and large, doesn't much like marrying outsiders, so a Jewish ethnicity has developed to some extent.
Quote by webbtje
It's a religion which, by and large, doesn't much like marrying outsiders, so a Jewish ethnicity has developed to some extent.

This. It's helped by there being many, uh, Jewish genetic traits, in the same way there are Italian or whatever ones.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by Colgate Total
A race of people are people who share a genetic distinction, such as skin colour.

But us Jews really do share a genetic distinction: Our Noses :3
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Jews are not a race of people.
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Quote by deathdrummer
Jews are not a race of people.

I dunno, I am not a religious Jew, so by this...I am caucasion?
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
It's up for debate whether they are a race. It depends on how you define race. Also, some people might be offended if you refer to them as a seperate race and I'd say most people generally do not consider them a seperate race. If you're gonna play it safe, then stay away from arguing this or at least be respectful if you do it.

Because there is one thing you can be certain of: Judaism is a religion. So just think of it that way if it suits you.
Last edited by rmr024 at May 22, 2010,
In my opinion, Jews are a religion, but many are part of a race. Its kinda hard to explain. To be part of the Jewish religion, you can be born Jewish or you can convert to Judism. To be part of the Jewish race, you have to be born into a Jewish family that has been Jewish for many generations, has a wierd accent (usually), and counts every penny.
Quote by Minion2580
In my opinion, Jews are a religion, but many are part of a race. Its kinda hard to explain. To be part of the Jewish religion, you can be born Jewish or you can convert to Judism. To be part of the Jewish race, you have to be born into a Jewish family that has been Jewish for many generations, has a wierd accent (usually), and counts every penny.

Funny and clever!
Hisidic Jews (SP?) are a race (those are the Jews who don't cut the hair on the temple, and wear those robes and hats that Jews are sometimes known for, these are also some of the strictest Jews in terms of practicing the religion). You can only be called Hisidic, or call your self Hisidic if you come from a certain part of Israel, (at least, I think it's Israel xD)
Quote by GoldfishMoon
During world war 2, did Hitler prosecute anyone who practiced the Jewish religion, or all people from the race?

Hitler's persecution was largely race-based, but I can't remember if he also had it out for religious Jews.

I've never been able to tell the difference between a supposed member of the Jewish race and a Caucasian myself, though.
Lolcat will shed light on topic.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by webbtje
Funny and clever!

No, that doesn't describe Jews at all.

>.>

<.<

I wouldn't call them a race, but an ethnic group, because Jews do not share one common ancestry.
And yes, Judaism is the religion Jews practise.
Last edited by Shenlong at May 22, 2010,
Quote by TheBurningFish
No, that doesn't describe Jews at all.

>.>

<.<

He disapproves.
Over time Jews developed into distinct ethnic groups—amongst others, the Ashkenazi Jews (of central and Eastern Europe)

The Sephardi Jews (of Spain, Portugal, and North Africa > usually look far more mediterranean)

The Beta Israel of Ethiopia

And the Yemenite Jews, from the southern tip of the Arabian Peninsula

This split is cultural, and is not based on any doctrinal dispute, although the distance did result in minor differences in practice and prayers

Most jewish celebs are Ashkenazic (and some Sephardic) because those are the largest ethnic jewish groups in the USA

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'd say being Jewish can be both racially and religiously.

I mean look at the picture below, it's not too hard to see which person is Jewish:

St. Mirren F.C
Champions of Renfrewshire Since 2006
SPL Survivors Since 2006
Quote by webbtje

He disapproves.

Well then.

I guess I just got served.

Quote by TheBurningFish
Well then.

I guess I just got served.

Oh no, you got owned, it's different.
To a certain extent it's true that, like Webbtje comented, there's still a significant number of orthodox American Jews who persuade their children to not marry outsiders (although I'd be tempted to think that it's a small minority: after all, most USA jews DON'T wear kippahs and the funny curly thingies). There certainly is some truth to certain jewish stereotypes such as the "bigger nose", but that's not a universal thing 'cos as you can see most African jews don't have large noses at all

Also, you have to keep in mind that a LOT of racial mixture has occured througout the many centuries that Jews were around. Most people who live in Israel share little traits with the jews who were already living there (who really share a much bigger resemblance with the Palestinians) before the first big waves of jewish migrators came during the late 19th century. These people were mostly (Eastern-)European, so there really ain't much of a racial link between those

In fact, most of those settlers didn't even speak Hebrew but Jiddish (which I think sounds more like German than Hebrew) and I doubt that most of these ethnic Jewish groups (if any) share much of a genetic link with the "original" Jewish people who migrated from Egypt thousands of years ago. But to be honest, now I'm really getting outside my "comfort zone" because this is about all I know about contemporary jewish people...

My point is tho: I would think of Jews as a religious group rather than a race even though, like with most religions, there are also many differencences between the customs and practices of every different Jewish groups. Judaism is what ties all these people, not their race or racial features

The difference between this religion and the Christian and Islamic religions, however, is that most Muslims and Christians are followers of a new testament and often of a movement that cites certain interpretations of those testaments as the TRUE religions, that's why there's Protestants and Catholics, Shi'ites and Sunnis (not to mention they're much bigger religions, so the difference between each group is much more obvious) whereas Jews are all followers of the same (much, much older) book, so there's really not that much room for adding your own interpretations

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at May 22, 2010,
Quote by webbtje
Oh no, you got owned, it's different.

Quite like the Jews in Egypt, then.

I don't know whether that's a comeback or not. I'm very tired.

Quote by TheBurningFish
Quite like the Jews in Egypt, then.

I don't know whether that's a comeback or not. I'm very tired.

It made me go 'oooooh', successful by my standards.