I'll make this quick. I play alot of slide guitar. I'm buying a knockoff strat from a dude I work with. I want to take the neck off, take the frets out, and make it basically a fretless guitar. Then i'll set the action high. Would it be good if I just took the frets out, epoxied the slots, and went on my way? I believe the fretboard is rosewood, but ill let you know Sunday when I actually buy it.

any thoughts?
I've never herd of using epoxy for something like this but then again I'm not too familiar with epoxy to begin with. Personally I'd just use wood filler.
I saw a thread earlier today where a guy was making an SG fretless using wood filler to fill the slots and it looked like it turned out pretty good.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
yeah use wood filler post results. im interested in how this will turn out as I also play slide.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Quote by rocknroll93
yeah use wood filler post results. im interested in how this will turn out as I also play slide.

will do. will the wood filler stand out though? I'm guessing they make all different shades/colors so hopefully i can blend it well. any thoughts on removing the fretwire quickly/efficiently?
well i actually do play slide a lot so... hmm

EDIT: sorry forgot to write the post :p

errm yeah i wouldnt actually pull off the frets unless you want a lapsteel kind of thing

i dont know i find it better to be able to play both fretted and slide on the guitar.. it's just more versatile

my two cents
Last edited by vigenharutyunya at May 22, 2010,
Quote by vigenharutyunya
well i actually do play slide a lot so... hmm

this is strictly proof of concept for me, sorta. I have 2 electrics and an acoustic already, but I'm getting this bad boy for $25 from a kid I work with. AFAIK the input jack needs a-fixin. What I wanna do is make the neck fretless, paint the body a nice cream color, throw some gold hardware on it, and since its a SSS strat, I've been lookin' at these Lace Sensor SC's. Will put up a thread tomorrow for the custom job. Can't wait to get started though, I have the whole thing planned out in my head
Quote by vigenharutyunya

i dont know i find it better to be able to play both fretted and slide on the guitar.. it's just more versatile

my two cents

this guitar only needs to do one thing. i have other guitars for versatility. this one is strictly in project only mode and im willing to have it only be used in one situation only. initially i was gonna buy it just to keep it in open A, but the idea evolved.

EDIT: and its not like you cant play it with your fingers as well. just gonna be a different tone/soundscape altogether.
Last edited by bbetances at May 22, 2010,
Quote by bbetances
will do. will the wood filler stand out though? I'm guessing they make all different shades/colors so hopefully i can blend it well. any thoughts on removing the fretwire quickly/efficiently?

A lot of fretless guitars/basses actually have fret lines so you know where to play. It would actually be better if say, you had a rosewood neck, to buy a lighter wood filler.\
99% of my posts will probably be entirely misinformed, malformed, malware infested, and... marmalade topped.

Oh, and your tongue is on fire.
Quote by slashe50
A lot of fretless guitars/basses actually have fret lines so you know where to play. It would actually be better if say, you had a rosewood neck, to buy a lighter wood filler.\

visualizing it, that might actually look pretty cool. could be useful too. I can't wait to get this project underway, but unfortunately all I can do TODAY is talk about it and plan it all out.
this guitar only needs to do one thing. i have other guitars for versatility. this one is strictly in project only mode and im willing to have it only be used in one situation only. initially i was gonna buy it just to keep it in open A, but the idea evolved.

EDIT: and its not like you cant play it with your fingers as well. just gonna be a different tone/soundscape altogether.

ok man seems that you pretty much know what you are doing
good luck with the thing
i myself am now having a Grazioso rebuild you know the paint... the body also was all in scratches and dents... i'll still leave everything original i guess it's a vintage 70s guitar... so it's kinda 40 year old and im keeping everything original... and i'll have it set up for a slide guitar... i find my self open G or Gm my fav tunings for slide... but i also fret complicated chords too (sometimes play in G without a slide) so in my case frets are a good addition

again Good luck