Hey guys,

First off, I'm a uber noob with virtualy no recording experience. Just thought I'd put it out there.

Okay so, I'm in a band, doing quite well but now our bassist left. We found a new one and we have about a month to get him up to scratch cause we got fests and gigs lined up that we cant drop out of.

I thought if we maybe recorded all our new stuff he can take a listen and figure the bass parts out in his own time without the pressure of us being there the whole time. Its way too damn expensive to just book us into a studio just for that, So I went out and bought a Line 6 UX1 and got cubase 4 installed on my pc.

Thing is, I have absolutely no experience with either the UX1 or the Cubase 4 software.

I would seriously appreciate it if someone could explain to me what to do from start to finish on how to get our stuff recorded. I just want to know the necessary things to record a basic track. The rest I'll figure out in my own time. I tried recording a bit but firstly there was this delay and secondly I dont have any Idea what to do in cubase I tried playing around but got no where fast.

Some info that might help:

I have a Dell Vostro 1515
2 Gigs of Ram
300GB HDD
Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz (Not the best pc, but I'm working on it.)

Obviously have the UX1 unit
Installed Pod Farm & Gearbox (It came with pod farm, I downloaded gearbox) Dunno which is better...

I have Cubase 4 installed aswell.

I got myself M-Audio StudioPro 3 monitors but will be using my earphones for now.

If there is a thread like this already, can someone please point me in the right direction? I looked but didn't find anything useful.

Thanks so much in advance!

P.S: I'm not being lazy, its just my unit was faulty there was this buzzing noise so I gave it in and the new unit is only coming in a weeks time, So I cant actually sit and figure it out just yet and thats why I'm asking here for help, so that when the unit comes I'll have a good understanding of what to do. I'm just very limmited with time I appologise if you think I'm being a jackass
Last edited by Undisolved at May 22, 2010,
i'm guessing there should be an instruction manual when u get it back, when u run into any snags.

My friend has a UX2 that i tried and he had the delay problem you talked about, but you can only ask for so much without buying the proper equiptment, but there a few ways of minimising latency, u have to have the line 6 as the sound card in your computer, with audio coming out of the analogue audio. (so this basically means, have ur computer speakers come out of the Line6, and set windows to route ur sound to come out of them)

Start a new project, use an empty template.
start a new track, set the input as the toneport (my friend only had the option of stereo, but i don't think he had his set up properly). Then go into 'Devices->Device Setup->VST Audio System'. Check to make sure ur using the right ASIO driver (i'm pretty sure there is a special line6 driver for it), then try to recording. If latency stil occurs, go back to device setup and muck around with the Advanced option under the VST Audio System section.

Hope that gets you started with a latency free line6 setup. If you can't fix up the latency, it just means that ur gunna have to move the recording back into sync when u record summin.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Hey man,

Thanks so much for that... I really appreciate it. I've read about the delay problem, seems like its only a common setting you have to play around with. My friend said his had a delay and he fixed it.

Quick question, how do I check if I'm using the right ASIO driver? what is VST anyway?

I should get my unit soon so lets see what happens hehe. Again thanks so much!
To check if you have the right ASIO driver you go to device setup-> VST audio system.

VST stands for Virtual Studio Technology.

Read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Studio_Technology

I don't understand why it's a common problem, the thing is advertised to have near zero latency, My motherboards sound drivers have a smaller delay than my friends UX2 setup. But my computer destroys his one.

Incase u were wondering, i've got:
Intel i7 920 @ 3.2GHz
ATi HD 4890
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
6GB DDR3 Triple Channel RAM @1600MHz
1TB Western Digital Caviar Green (DO NOT GET THIS, slowest hunk of shit ever. Thinking of getting a 500GB Caviar black instead)

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Wow dude, you got one bad ass setup there.

I also see you got a VT100, I was going to go for that but then I saw the line 6 spider IV 150watt for the same price and I was blown away. Went for the line 6 instead

I cant wait to get my pod tomorrow... Then going to try everything out. I just seriously hope this delay thing isnt going to be a screw up I'll be highly disappointed. I don't expect the best quality but seriously, a 2 second lag? BS!

Guess we'll find out hehe...