Hello,

I'm going to buy a guitar and I'm not sure if I should buy a Gibson SG special faded worn cherry.. or a Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS Lake Placid Blue Maple.
They are about 650 dollars or something.. but the Fender is a little bit cheaper. I don't know which one is better. I know the gibson is made in usa and the fender in mexico but does that really matter??
asking to choose between 2 very different guitars fail.
You need to do more research and or play both guitars if you think the only difference between them is usa vs mexico production.
Seriously, what kind of guitar do you prefer? Do you want a mahogany body or an alder body? Do you want single coils or humbuckers?
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by LeonKG
Hello,

I'm going to buy a guitar and I'm not sure if I should buy a Gibson SG special faded worn cherry.. or a Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS Lake Placid Blue Maple.
They are about 650 dollars or something.. but the Fender is a little bit cheaper. I don't know which one is better. I know the gibson is made in usa and the fender in mexico but does that really matter??

depands on what your music style is.
most of the gibson and fender I played on, I saw the Gibson produce can "heavier" sound.
btw, there are plenty of Ibanez guitar which can give great sound like these two, check them out.
I was sure that I gonna buy an Epiphone for start, in the end, I played on Ibanez and fell in love with this Guitar.
I want to play allot of music.. I was hoping for a all round guitar.. and otherwise I want a guitar to play punk rock on
I'd go with the SG.
Quote by silent caution
When i was younger i used to pee in peoples shoes and blame their dog
Last edited by Chylyn at May 22, 2010,
and what about the Fender Classic 60s Stratocaster Lake Placid Blue Rosewood?? is that a good allrounder?
Play them all.

Gibson is going to sound alot heavier and mellower. Good for rock, blues, what not.

The fender however will sound alot ALOT brighter, very snappy and twangy.

The main difference is really going to be that. Neither of them will do both really.

Gibson think ACDC, Strat think Hendrix.
research man. they are different guitars completely. That’s like comparing peanut butter to jam.

Actually peanut butter and jam is probably the best sandwich combo ever. We need a Gibson cross fender, STAT!

honestly, YouTube both for sound tests, read reviews. even go down to down to your local music shop and test them out. they are both VERY different.
Quote by dweb23
Versatility? Get the strat

+1
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by Marshmelllow
research man. they are different guitars completely. That’s like comparing peanut butter to jam.

Actually peanut butter and jam is probably the best sandwich combo ever. We need a Gibson cross fender, STAT!

honestly, YouTube both for sound tests, read reviews. even go down to down to your local music shop and test them out. they are both VERY different.

Huzzah!

EDIT: ^I . Came.

Quote by Marshmelllow

That's why Schecters and Paul Reed Smiths are the best.
Quote by silent caution
Last edited by Chylyn at May 22, 2010,
I think I'm going to a music shop in Amsterdam.. ( I live in holland ) I think there are loads of them and if I can test them there that would be great of course.. xD But the reason I want a allrounder is because I'm just a beginner and want to learn allot of different styles of music and this is my first electric guitar I'm playing acoustic right now But I get a guitar and my parents will pay because I'm turning 16 and passed my exams so money isn't the problem the only thing is that I don't know what is a good guitar to play allot of different styles on and the reason I wanted a SG or strat is because of the looks.. haha xD But your right I need to play them first so I'm going to a shop
But the main question is if the quality of these guitars is the same or wich one is better? I might be a beginner but I want a good guitar you know xD
Last edited by LeonKG at May 22, 2010,
Quote by LeonKG
I think I'm going to a music shop in Amsterdam.. ( I live in holland ) I think there are loads of them and if I can test them there that would be great of course.. xD But the reason I want a allrounder is because I'm just a beginner and want to learn allot of different styles of music and this is my first electric guitar I'm playing acoustic right now But I get a guitar and my parents will pay because I'm turning 16 and passed my exams so money isn't the problem the only thing is that I don't know what is a good guitar to play allot of different styles on and the reason I wanted a SG or strat is because of the looks.. haha xD But your right I need to play them first so I'm going to a shop
But the main question is if the quality of these guitars is the same or wich one is better? I might be a beginner but I want a good guitar you know xD

Well honestly they are both going to be decent beginner guitars. Although for a little bit more money you could go up to an American made Fender, a little better appointments a few hundred extra.

That being said...again the two guitars are very very different. One is going to be alder and the other is going to be mahogany. One is known for having humbuckers and the other is known for having 3 single coils even though it can be had with humbuckers or h/s/h. You need to look at the bands you like and see what they use. There's no way to make one sound like the other after purchasing. The strat is gonna sound like a strat and the Gibson is gonna sound like a Gibson.

Quote by Marshmelllow

most i got for passing my highschool exams was a pat on the back. lucky shit.

well at least he's getting a reasonable gift.

Quote by LeonKG
I'm turning 16 and passed my exams

Don't final exams come when you're eighteen or so?
Quote by silent caution
Quote by Chylyn
Don't final exams come when you're eighteen or so?

If his highschool system is like mine they have exams every semester so not counting the summer months it's every 5 months. Also, you're a lucky guy, TS

I got the highest marks in grade 11 chemistry, grade 11 accounting, and grade 11 math and I still had to argue with my parents to let me use my own money to buy a new guitar.

EDIT: damn i clicked submit by accident

OT: I'd go with the strat, for versatility's sake. I would think single coils would also be better for punk but don't quote me as I dont really listen to much punk.
Last edited by siverstorm at May 22, 2010,
right, and by year 12 i had a diploma in 3d modeling and several certificates in IT and multimedia (now halfway through a BA at 18) and my parents still say if i want something in life i have to work towards it.

they could get me a guitar. they just thought it would be cooler to show 0 interest in what i do. YAY FOR NON-LENIENT PARENTS!.

but on the other hand id also go for the strat, choice being for versatility.
Last edited by Marshmelllow at May 22, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror

Huzzah!

stop showing people our next guitars.

seriously, if you want the most versatile guitar without a piezo or the words "variax" or "taylor" on it, that 513 is it.
Quote by gregs1020
stop showing people our next guitars.

seriously, if you want the most versatile guitar without a piezo or the words "variax" or "taylor" on it, that 513 is it.

We have twinsy Customs now. my has 2 more frets.

Also...dude I'm totally putting a piezo in my 513.

the les paul studio deluxe can switch between humbuckler and single coil sound.

les paul sound test
2010 Epiphone Dot
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
2009 Taylor 110 acoustic
Last edited by dragoro at May 22, 2010,
Maybe try playing them both and see which one you like the best and which one plays the best (for you).

The only way to make a final decision is to actually play both and see which you like the best.

ron666