I have a floyd rose with 9's in E standard.
Would I have to make any adjustments to my guitar to tune it in D standard?
Nope, but it's a bitch to do it with a floyd rose. Read crap on the internet about it/watch videos on youtube.

Easiest way for me is to tighten the screws in the cavity, tune it, then unscrew them.
you might have to adjust the springs in the back to get the floyd rose bridge level with the body.
Yes, the spring tension will need to be adjusted (springs are in the cavity on the back of your guitar). Check the neck's bow. Intonation is also worth checking. You might find that .09s will be too light for D Standard for you. Try it out, if the string tension is too low, try a pack of .10s.
With these strings, probably yes

I say do it first, see how you like the new setup and if you indeed experience excessive fret buzz, less sustain and a very "rubber band-ish" feel then perhaps it would be better to switch to a heavier string gauge. Some people prefer standard 10's or 11's (which is all you need as a rhythm guitar player), others go for a "light top, heavy bottom" option (especially those who like to play fast, flashy stuff with lots of bending). If you don't change your strings you're most likely gonna have to adjust your intonation, perhaps add an extra spring or screw the spring claw further into the body and then adjust the truss rod (in that particular order)

If you DO switch string gauges and you're determined to keep your playability top notch you're probably gonna have to make those adjustments anyways, though the changes might not be so drastic if you picked the appropiate gauge

Oh, and if you wanna do it right the first time: pick a string brand and gauge that you're likely gonna stick with (if you prefer D'Addario's and you know that your local dealer is gonna have those in stock, go for those)

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at May 22, 2010,
Quote by Yooxa
Would i have to re-set my floys rose for 1 step down?

Yep. It's less likely that you'll need to adjust the truss rod with just 1 step down (though it's still possible), but the spring tension and intonation will still need to be tended to.
Quote by Yooxa
shit, never getting a floyd rose again..
Dude, you have to adjust your intonation and possibly your truss rod after changing your string gauge on EVERY guitar (if you want a perfectly set up instrument anyways)

The only difference is that on hardtails you don't have to worry about spring tension, and on classic trems your bridge doesn't float so you can over-tighten the springs without it having your guitar go sharp (but then again, adding too much spring tension will make it harder to use the whammy bar properly). Consider this a great oportunity to learn how to set up your own guitar perfectly

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
But im not changing strings, would I still have to re-setup my guitar?
Quote by Yooxa
But im not changing strings, would I still have to re-setup my guitar?

YES. How are you not getting this. If your guitar came perfectly setup with .09s in standard tuning, you will have to do at least some setting up if you:

a) want to use a lower tuning
b) change string gauge

If you're that unwilling to learn how to setup an instrument perhaps a Floyd Rose wasn't the best option for you?
I got it, but shwilly said I had to do that for a string change, so I was thinking maybe they got me wrong.
Quote by charlescray
lol yes. Dropping that one string will mess up the others. Trust me.

ahh the joys of trem.

what i do is drop flush with the body so i have less tuning problems. you cant bend up with it, but it dosnt go out of tune as quickly, and it makes tuning a hell of a lot easier.
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Ok, in order for a Floyd Rose to stay in tune, the tension of the strings has to equal the tension of the springs. When they are equal, you can do whatever you want to the bridge and it will always come back to the same place, thus, it stays in tune. If you take any tension away from the strings (by down-tuning) then you will also have to take tension away from the springs to counter the tension loss of the strings.

You're obviously wondering why you would want to do this much work just to set up a guitar for a specific tuning. Here's why. When your floating trem is set-up correctly, you can do anything with the bridge and it will never go out of tune. I honestly haven't touched the tuners on my Ibby since the last time I put strings on it, which was at least a couple months ago... (I need a string change... )
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Would a Tremol-no help me downtune easier? as I dont use the tremolo anyway.
Tune everything down 1 step
(Go 2 frets down with a note on every string)
Yes, a tremol-no would block your trem, so you wouldn't need to adjust spring tension when changing tunings, which is the biggest hassle. You'd still need to adjust intonation and check the neck bow if you did anything beyond simple drop tuning.