I've currently an SH-8 Invader pickup in the bridge position
My setup being - no amp, just straight cleans with my
cable - mogami gold (18ft)
CTS 500K Audio Taper Precision Tolerance Guitar Pots (volume, tone, tone with my humbuckers)

running my cable straight to an M-Audio Audio Buddy preamp, and into a delta 44 interface

As I use amp sim plugins and IR's , a good clean tone is important. however with my HB/HB pickguard setup (the one with the SH-8) I was getting really nasty muddied tones with my clean D.I. even with the volume backed off, full tone, vol. cranked but preamp backed off, pickup height adjustment (no difference in tone, just intensity) anything I tried besdies post eq, it would come out incredibly muddy on the bridge pickup (SH-8)...

Though the neck pickup was considerably better (SH-6 Distortion) but still a bit bassy, but defintely not as muddied up as the bridge, which is odd but I accounted that to being it was just a very hot pickup

So! A few questions, as I'm beginning to get a little edgy and am starting to think of rewiring (again!) this pickguard with my SH-8 in the bridge and SH-6 in the neck position!

As I've stated I've got...

3 pots, all three are CTS 500K Audio Taper Precision Tolerance Guitar Pots (2 tone 1 vol)

SH-8 Bridge
SH-6 Neck

We're looking to brighten these pickups up, below you will find a link to hear my D.I. recordings to give you an idea of how fat they are

Now what I'm considering doing, is ordering three 1meg pots (maybe only 2, as the neck tone is reasonable atm. perhaps wire it as two vol and one tone for the bridge)

Now I'm not entirely sure, but going up in the values of these pots will help brighten the tone , and using lower valued capacitors on the tone knobs ought to help out as well, (using .02mf caps atm)

btw would bypassing the tone knob completely brighten the sound?

I really do not know what type of wood my guitar is made of - as I received it as a gift when I was a teenager (still using it after 12 years!) But I was hoping to upgrade it with an HB/HB setup and wire up a new pickguard. and these happened to be the pckups I chose... I've been fighting with it for the past 4 months with my tone

if anyone has any suggested for a bridge humbucker with a colder tone, low bass feel free to suggest - I thought of my even going with an EMG 81/85 setup, as I hear they are a bit more sterile, but again I'm worried about that output... I think I should steer clear of hot pickups with this guitar XD

below are pics of how it's currently wired

also heres the link to mediafire to hear the cleans

http://www.mediafire.com/?ylyjkmlo2m4

And here are the pics! Again, first time soldering, wiring a pickguard - so don't mind the jungle of wires XD

Last edited by Night at May 22, 2010,
You have a couple problems going on.

1st, you need some kind of amp modeler before your soundcard. The guitar amp is an important part of tone shaping and when you compleatly remove it from the equation then it's normal for the low end to be out of control. An amp modeling pedal of some sort, like a boss amp factory or line 6 pod, will help tame your signal more than normal preamp or DI box. Also, If memory serves me correctly, the audio buddy isn't a true DI box anyway, it's just a preamp for mics and line level equipment. The guitar is Hi Z so it doesn't work as well. That said, I've got an Omni IO (which is a step up from the audio buddy) and a delta 44 soundcard and I it's supposed to be a DI box for guitars but is still way too boomy.

2nd, the pickups you are using are naturally muddy anyway but the bigger issue is still the 1st one.

New pots and caps will not fix the bass, but will increase your top end. Switching them could actually make it so not only is your tone boomy but it's buzzy too.

Look into an amp modeling pedal, not into rewiring.
part of it is your pickup choice. I have a SH-6 in the bridge which sounds great distorted, and a '59 in the neck, which sounds good clean. both of your pickups are pretty hot pickups. but more importantly, as corduroy said, it's mostly down to your setup.
Quote by CorduroyEW
You have a couple problems going on.

1st, you need some kind of amp modeler before your soundcard. The guitar amp is an important part of tone shaping and when you compleatly remove it from the equation then it's normal for the low end to be out of control. An amp modeling pedal of some sort, like a boss amp factory or line 6 pod, will help tame your signal more than normal preamp or DI box. Also, If memory serves me correctly, the audio buddy isn't a true DI box anyway, it's just a preamp for mics and line level equipment. The guitar is Hi Z so it doesn't work as well. That said, I've got an Omni IO (which is a step up from the audio buddy) and a delta 44 soundcard and I it's supposed to be a DI box for guitars but is still way too boomy.

2nd, the pickups you are using are naturally muddy anyway but the bigger issue is still the 1st one.

New pots and caps will not fix the bass, but will increase your top end. Switching them could actually make it so not only is your tone boomy but it's buzzy too.

Look into an amp modeling pedal, not into rewiring.

mm true, but as far as I know the majority of the users on GAM simply run the signal virgin before hitting the sims.

as far as the tone being "tamed" by something prior, perhaps thats true - but I don't know, atm it doesn't hold much water with the overwhelming majority of those mentioned users submitting the clean DI recording track to me, running at much more suitable levels. and later getting some awesome sounding pieces put together.

But you do have valid points, and it's not like they wouldn't hurt. I certainly should consider getting a better preamp though at the very damned least as I know this one is holding me back a bit.

perhaps investing in a future rack wouldn't hurt either

The concern for rewiring as far as that goes, is that its cheaper. and the fact i want to give series/parallel a shot, as I'm currently running in series, and that invader could use a cut in power.

and no1 mentioned whether they downloaded the file and gave it a listen, or showed any acknowledging it XD
Last edited by Night at May 22, 2010,
uh oh...

Have I found the problem? Im surprised no1 else noticed it in the pics lol

in red, is circled a wire that connects the both tone pots together that came loose, as far as WHEN that happened I do no know

The humbuckers are wired in series, would this one wire affect the tonalities of my pickups as they have, and if so how?? will wiring the bridge parallel help shave off those nasty bass frequencies? at least, some of them?
Last edited by Night at May 23, 2010,
Also, if you're worried about EMGs being too hot: They aren't. The reason thy sound so sterile es because they're would to a very LOW DCR, which mean's they're very low output, and are potted in epoxy, which adds to the high end more (plus the low DCR means lots of high end and very little bass and midrange). The output comes from a built-in active preamp which boosts the signal like an OD pedal does.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores