Page 1 of 2
So my mom and grandma were watching one of those court shows and a couple wanted a divorce. I've always wondered, why is the divorce rate is so high here in the US?
Impossible is just a word people say to make themselves feel better when they quit.
Vyse the Legend
Because if I were married to an American, I'd want a divorce too.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Probably because they get married for all of the wrong reasons, usually at a young age. Also it's so much easier to get married nowadays and much less expensive.

I think the divorce rate in the UK is 1/3 but is apparently getting closer to 1/2, which is pretty damn scary.
There's a lot of gold diggin' bitches in America
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Because if I were married to an American, I'd want a divorce too.

Aww, snap!! Iss oun no'!
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Because of HOMOSEXUAL MARRIAGE

OK, no, it's because it's not a country where it's seen as a good thing to stay with your partner no matter how much you loathe him/her. Additionally, I get the feeling a lot of people rush into marriage (Las Vegas weddings anyone?) without thinking it through, or marry off early and quickly because of societal pressures (ie fundies).
Cause American men are learning to make their own sandwiches.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by Scruff17
Probably because they get married for all of the wrong reasons, usually at a young age. Also it's so much easier to get married nowadays and much less expensive.

I think the divorce rate in the UK is 1/3 but is apparently getting closer to 1/2, which is pretty damn scary.

Yeah a cousin of mine is just 21 and she is getting married next year. I really don't get it.
Quote by shattamakar
Cause American men are learning to make their own sandwiches.

We're evolving!
Impossible is just a word people say to make themselves feel better when they quit.
Vyse the Legend
Religion is a much lesser influence nowadays.
Can't stop the spirits when they need you This life is more than just a read thru
Quote by ricanboyguitar
So my mom and grandma were watching one of those court shows and a couple wanted a divorce. I've always wondered, why is the divorce rate is so high here in the US?

You have to remember that access to a divorce is a relatively recent development, and acceptance socially of divorce is more recent still. Its not suprising rates increase, given its relatively recent acceptance + ease of obtaining.

Personally, i dislike the inference that increased divorce rates are an inherently negative thing. I personally think that often its the best decision available to people. Im aware of the effects on family, i went through one myself, but i still don't see it as inherently bad.
Quote by b2spirita
You have to remember that access to a divorce is a relatively recent development, and acceptance socially of divorce is more recent still. Its not suprising rates increase, given its relatively recent acceptance + ease of obtaining.

Personally, i dislike the inference that increased divorce rates are an inherently negative thing. I personally think that often its the best decision available to people. Im aware of the effects on family, i went through one myself, but i still don't see it as inherently bad.

True but like someone already said, there are alot of people that just rush into it. They probably go through that "honeymoon" period and after a few years just get bored of each other. They could also probably just be fighting and rather than solve it or go to a marriage counselor they just get a divorce because it's easier.
Vyse the Legend
think of it this way...would you prefer to be with one person until you are a corpse or experiene life and many partners?
My friend's cousin is getting married to someone he's talked to on the interwebz, but never in real life. He doesn't care about meeting her first - he's just desperate to get married (he's probably got no other chance in hell). Weird shit.
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
think of it this way...would you prefer to be with one person until you are a corpse or experiene life and many partners?
One person, provided it's the right person.

To answer the question, it's because here in America we aren't taught how to be happy with what we have, but rather to always want what we don't have; we're not taught to be loyal to our partners, we're taught instead that it's alright to have trivial relationships with little to no emotional depth or integrity.

We're also conditioned to always have instant gratification. We rush into marriages because we have a fleeting feeling of intense romance and think we legitimately love the other person. Romance is not love.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at May 22, 2010,
My county had the highest divorce rate in the US as of a few years ago. Wayne County, IN.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by food1010
One person, provided it's the right person.

To answer the question, it's because here in America we aren't taught how to be happy with what we have, but rather to always want what we don't have; we're not taught to be loyal to our partners, we're taught instead that it's alright to have trivial relationships with little to no emotional depth or integrity.

We're also conditioned to always have instant gratification. We rush into marriages because we have a fleeting feeling of intense romance and think we legitimately love the other person. Romance is not love.

Sounds like your parents raised you wrong.
My God, it's full of stars!
People get married too young, too quickly, and for the wrong reasons. I don't intend to get married until at least 27 - 30 years of age.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Honestly, people let their heart lead them into things blindly.
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
Quote by JayT44
My county had the highest divorce rate in the US as of a few years ago. Wayne County, IN.

F*** yeah! Go Indiana!
Because the grass is always greener on the other side.
"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind" Albert Einstein.
Now women don't have to stay in relationships with abusers/assholes due to there being less societal pressures nowadays, so they can leave the marriage if they're unhappy. Also, Vegas weddings and not thinking it through are reasons.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Last edited by I.O.T.M at May 31, 2010,
Quote by RawPower218
Because marriage is against human nature, and you can't allow one person to oppress your free love.
Not really.

Monogamy is clearly good for the female because they have someone to protect them/provide for them while they are taking care of the child. And although you could see it as being bad for the men, I remember reading in new scientist that in one model monogamy was actually the best for men as well because it was definitely their genes that were being passed down (whereas if their partner had been sleeping around then they could be protecting and feeding somone else's kid).
Quote by 12345abcd3
Not really.

Monogamy is clearly good for the female because they have someone to protect them/provide for them while they are taking care of the child.
And although you could see it as being bad for the men, I remember reading in new scientist that in one model monogamy was actually the best for men as well because it was definitely their genes that were being passed down (whereas if their partner had been sleeping around then they could be protecting and feeding somone else's kid).

wtf? are you trolling? that's fucking retarded. Stop making up sexist lies

Anyway, I think religion probably has something to do with the high divorce rate. Fundamentalist Christian people don't have sex until marriage, so they want to get married so they can get laid. Then they realise it was a mistake
Quote by 12345abcd3
Not really.

Monogamy is clearly good for the female because they have someone to protect them/provide for them while they are taking care of the child. And although you could see it as being bad for the men, I remember reading in new scientist that in one model monogamy was actually the best for men as well because it was definitely their genes that were being passed down (whereas if their partner had been sleeping around then they could be protecting and feeding somone else's kid).

Monogamy is good for men because it effectively ensures that you will have a woman. In a polygamous society some men get much more and others get none. That's why we see throughout history and culture that when a group want peace and cohesion they institute monogamy. That's partly why Abrahamic religions caught on so well, the promise of a wife.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by I.O.T.M
Now women don't have to stay in relationships with abusers/assholes due to there being less societal pressures nowadays, so they can leave the marriage if they're unhappy. Also, Vegas weddings and not thinking it through are reasons.

That suggests that a huuuge amount of marriages are abusive ones, which I find hard to believe. Maybe I don't want to believe it, it's a horrible thought. But I don't think it's true.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Sorry, I'm not trolling but I should have made it clear that this is from an evolutionary point of view. So it's not really talking about what happens now but what happened millions of years ago and how monogamy is natural from an evolutionary standpoint. Put in the context of primitive humans, I think that part it justifiable because it is true.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
Monogamy is good for men because it effectively ensures that you will have a woman. In a polygamous society some men get much more and others get none. That's why we see throughout history and culture that when a group want peace and cohesion they institute monogamy. That's partly why Abrahamic religions caught on so well, the promise of a wife.
Yeah but that's in society, and in civilized society tons of stuff happens that is "against human nature".

I was taking an evolutionary standpoint (I didn't make that clear, sorry) to show monogamy wasn't against human nature.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

He doesn't necessarily mean in today's society. He's talking about hunter/gatherer era evolution of instincts and whatnot. Please take your misplaced feminism somewhere else.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Last edited by iantheman at May 31, 2010,
Well in the earliest civilisations men were in charge of childrearing and women were in charge of hunting

I realise there is evidence of men being hunters and women being childrearers in ancient societies as well but please understand it is in no way an evolutionary thing. It is an arbitrarily assigned role.
I think a lot of it has to do, as said earlier, with getting married young. For example, there's someone in my class (I'm a Freshman) who is already engaged, and getting married once she graduates. Things like this are definitely contributing to the statistic.....
Quote by herby190
I think a lot of it has to do, as said earlier, with getting married young. For example, there's someone in my class (I'm a Freshman) who is already engaged, and getting married once she graduates. Things like this are definitely contributing to the statistic.....

The average marriage age in the us is late 20's. People got married far younger historically.
Quote by b2spirita
The average marriage age in the us is late 20's. People got married far younger historically.

Yeah but they didn't get divorced afterwards

If divorce was harder the marriage rate would probably go down.
Probably because there's so much more shit people have to deal with these days. It's just part of complex social evolution I guess. Of course that's not to include the shitload of people who get married for the wrong reasons or no reasons at all. How many times do you hear of people who've just met and get married like 3 months after. Yeah, and you wonder why it all went wrong....
Quote by 12345abcd3

Yeah but that's in society, and in civilized society tons of stuff happens that is "against human nature".

I was taking an evolutionary standpoint (I didn't make that clear, sorry) to show monogamy wasn't against human nature.

Civilisation is a product of evolution in a highly social species and thus a part of an evolutionary argument.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Because of the weakening of moral fiber in today's culture.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Page 1 of 2