Hey guys, I bought this guitar off someone on craigslist yesterday. Plays well, set up well, and it has the sound I was looking for.

The thing is... I have no idea what brand or where this guitar is from! Could you guys help me identify this vintage guitar?

Previous owner said he had this guitar for 15 years, but he got it from someone he knows and has no idea what the history is behind the guitar.

The pickups are weird looking single coil pickups, as you can see. I thought they were P-90 size, but they're narrower than that.

The bridge used to be a Bigsby-style tremolo, but it's been blocked.

I guess this is probably a 60s or 70s Japanese guitar. There is no brand on the headstock, just a four leaf clover thing on it. No model number on the back of the headstock.

The only writing it has is the "Idol - Play Line Series No 24" on the pickguard. I don't think there's a guitar company called Idol anymore?
Hmmm well if it plays nice and you like it then I wouldn't worry about getting too much information on it, because you'll probably just waste a whole lot of time.

If it is Japanese, it is most certainly pre-70s, as the 70s was the "lawsuit" era of high quality copies. That guitar, again if its Japanese, was made in the era before MIJ meant quality unfortunately.

Take a look at THIS page and you'll see it could be from Teisco or any number of small early manufacturers.

I had an old Teisco Tele copy a while back, it was pretty poor and weighed about half what a tele should... didn't see any value to I flogged it.
Quote by Wesbanez
Hmmm well if it plays nice and you like it then I wouldn't worry about getting too much information on it, because you'll probably just waste a whole lot of time.

If it is Japanese, it is most certainly pre-70s, as the 70s was the "lawsuit" era of high quality copies. That guitar, again if its Japanese, was made in the era before MIJ meant quality unfortunately.

Take a look at THIS page and you'll see it could be from Teisco or any number of small early manufacturers.

I had an old Teisco Tele copy a while back, it was pretty poor and weighed about half what a tele should... didn't see any value to I flogged it.

Thanks for your insight. I'm not dying to know everything about this guitar, I just want to know a little bit more about the guitar.. that's all.

Thanks for that link. I see some awesome vintage stuff there! I don't see anything that looks like it could be from the same brand as mine though. But I saw some similar ones.
Take the neck off and have a look if theres anything there. You can also try having a look at the electronics for any brand names, could shed some light. Also, check the base of the pickups.