I got the Ultimate Standards Fakebook and will be learning, over the coming months, how to use it in my personal lessons.
But I'm wondering if anyone could give me a crash course right now. I'd like to start doing some basic chord melody with it but am not quite sure where to start. (Unfortunately, my personal google searches only show me how to use a Fake book for piano, not guitar )
wtf is fakebook?
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
wat
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Learn the melody, play it, learn the harmony, play it.

Then take some solos with someone comping for you!

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Quote by mow_mow

ummm doesn't seem very useful for anything besides jazz or blues where you'd improv alot. not too sure i understand it fully though
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
I'd invest in a real book. I find physical things more useful than miming something.
hello
Quote by opc100
I'd invest in a real book. I find physical things more useful than miming something.

Nice!
This question is probably better placed in the music theory section, techniques or the jazz/blues area =] The folk over there know their stuff to a far more in-depth degree than your average pit monkey.
Last edited by Big Spender at May 22, 2010,
Quote by Rhoads_1096

Tell me what you need help with.

Yes! That's the book. Well, I see that I have to read the melody... so right now, I'm going through the book and trying to play them (sans tab )

But I'm not really sure how to combine that with the chords into a solo guitar arrangement? Does that make sense?
Well for autumn leaves you could play E-F-G then play a Am7 if that makes sense. Just fill out the melody with chord tones and be creative.
Last edited by Rhoads_1096 at May 22, 2010,
What course would you need? Buy one of the volumes online. Pick a piece. Get comfortable with the chords and melody line and jam.
Quote by jennysixstring

But I'm not really sure how to combine that with the chords into a solo guitar arrangement? Does that make sense?

Your right hand has five picks on it. To start, keep the melody line as the highest note, and create the chords with the lower strings. It can be a painstaking process but you'll learn so much if you do it regularly.
Quote by jim morrison714
Your right hand has five picks on it. To start, keep the melody line as the highest note, and create the chords with the lower strings. It can be a painstaking process but you'll learn so much if you do it regularly.

This, but it's very tricky.
Last edited by Rhoads_1096 at May 22, 2010,
Quote by Rhoads_1096

Tell me what you need help with.

i could read this a year ago

now i only know the bass, i really gotta get on that again
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Yeah, my reading sucks. Primarly because I took up guitar (not piano) so I wouldn't have to read

But I'm getting better.

One more question, on a couple of the songs (What'll I do? for instance).. in a few places, there are two different chords notated. For instance... a C/E on top... and under it a C Maj 7. In another place, there's a Dmi7b5 on top... then a Fmi7 and Bb7 underneath.

Is this a case of picking and choosing orrrrrr...
Quote by jennysixstring
Yeah, my reading sucks. Primarly because I took up guitar (not piano) so I wouldn't have to read

That is the most ridiculous thing I've read all day.

Anyways, I'm not quite sure what OP is asking. It's just a book of sheet music. You have the chord progressions, you can essentially just solo over them. It'll help with learning to play in key and all that jazz.
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
all you need to do is come up with your own chord voicings. the melody notes should typically be the highest note of the chord. if you need to get rid of a chord tone to make the chord easier to play, throw out the root or fifth. don't take out both unless playing with a bassist or some kind of comp.
#DTWD