I bought this guitar 6 years ago or so. It has been sitting in my basement untouched for the last 2 years or so because I switched focus to piano and when I need guitar, I bring in someone else. I need other gear and have no use for this, so I'm thinking of selling it.

I did some online research and found out that they only made this model for about three years. Not only that, but I can't find a single one of them online for sale... not even at Ebay.com. I guess it's fairly rare. I don't know much about guitars, but I think I might really have something here.

I took the guitar to a local shop on Friday to get it cleaned up and setup with new strings and such. I talked to some friends about it this morning and they practically tore me and new one and said that with a rare vintage guitar, it ruins it's character to get it polished up and stuff. Is this true? I'm calling the shop at 10 to see if they have touched it and if not, I'm going to go pick it up.

The reason I'm posting this is because I thought some people on here could tell me what I have here. Is this guitar really worth some good money? What should I do with it?

Here are some pictures.

Thanks.
Well, sorry to disappoint you but it's not rare, and surely it isn't "vintage". These were pretty cheap guitars, or middle class, it's true that they weren't that popular (that's why they're a bit hard to find) but when they come up on ebay or somewhere else then they are pretty cheap - I've seen one on German eBay not that long time ago and it was worth around 200 euros or something like that. So, they are not popular but they aren't very sought after either, I wouldn't call them "rare".

And vintage guitars are 20, 25+ years old. This one certainly isn't vintage at all.

...still, they are pretty and I'd love to own one, just as a backup for my Ibanez Artist, they are quite similar.
Last edited by zombiak at May 22, 2010,
I called the shop and they said they wouldn't touch it till Monday. Should I have them clean it up and set it up, or should I take it back from them? Should I try to sell it on CL? The guy at the shop said he thinks it's worth $300-$400. I could try $400 and would take an offer. I have a feeling I would have a better time selling it if they clean it up and put new strings on it.
Quote by AbjectEvolution
I called the shop and they said they wouldn't touch it till Monday. Should I have them clean it up and set it up, or should I take it back from them? Should I try to sell it on CL? The guy at the shop said he thinks it's worth $300-$400. I could try $400 and would take an offer. I have a feeling I would have a better time selling it if they clean it up and put new strings on it.

Sure, have it done. The point about it being characterless after a polishing (even if it were an actual vintage guitar) are just rubbish. Every guitar is better when it's polished, cleaned and fitted with new strings.

As for the price, I don't know. List it at like 400 and see what you get. If you get 300, I'd be happy if I were you.