Ok so I'm looking to spend a little less than 500 on a small wattage tube head, I need good cleans, and some nice bluesy sound and some overdriven crunch tones. nothing to heavy. I'v looking into the blackhheart little giant and handsome devil, AC4TV, and I'm really intrested in the new Jet City Picovalve which is a THD copy but I'm wondering if it would have any cleans at all? Im using this for mic'ing up at school events that I play once weekly and I need a head that runs at 8 ohms.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
Last edited by matt s at May 22, 2010,
If you're gonna get the Jet City don't get the 1x12 cab that comes with it. It sounded way too trebley. I love soldano, but that cab sucked
picovalve + iso cab for super duper wins.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Well I have my avatar 2x12 with V30's so I don't really need a new cab but yeah that iso cab looks sick.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
I trust the picovalve will be sweet. You can use any tube you want...5w/2w setting. It'll take a yellow jacket as well so realistically we're probably talking 10 watts with a kt88 to 1 watt with a yellowjacket.

It's no flexi-50 but I can't imagine it will sound bad.

i've heard that the ac4 has little or no headroom. to be honest, that's going to be a problem with a lot of the low wattage tube amps unless you're running really low output pickups (preferably fender-style single coils). And even with that, you're going to have little or no headroom. it's kinda the difference between having little headroom and no headroom.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
do you think the pico valve will be able to get clean sounds?
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
probably. with how much volume, is the problem. though the master volume control means you could probably set the gain really low and crank up the master. a bit more control than a non-master volume amp, i guess.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you could probably stick a 12at7, a kt88, turn it to 5w and go to town.

touché, i forgot it's so amenable to other tubes. yeah, whacking something in there with high headroom wouldn't hurt.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by matt s
do you think the pico valve will be able to get clean sounds?
With a KT88, absolutely.

I'm really looking forward to the Picovalve. I've always wanted a Univalve but could never justify the price when I have other amps I want more.
Yeah im excited about this amp, it's exactly what I need for mic'ing up.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
My friend has one, and I'v played it ALOT, It's alright but i don't like the overdrive at all.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000