Hi All! Been Awhile...

I've been in the market for a good Fuzz pedal for awhile now, but there are so many out there to choose from that it's hard to pick just one. These are the three strongest possibilities so far:

MXR Classic 108 Fuzz
Devi Ever Disaster Fuzz
Fender Blender

I'm looking for that Blue Cheer/Hendrix late '60's/early '70's fuzz, but I'm also looking for something that can handle Alternative/Stoner Rock (early Sabbath, Kyuss, The Jesus & Mary Chain, Etc..) I doubt I'd spend more than $200 CAN, but maybe a bit more if I needed to...

Any thoughts? Other Suggestions? I'd appreciate it!

Major Bludd
Well, if I had to choose it would be the late '60's / early '70's vibe, so long as the Fuzz also gave me the ability to get some 'Iggy & The Stooges' tones...
Last edited by Major Bludd at May 22, 2010,
Quote by forsaknazrael
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpOQ71m2if8

This can get some passable vintage tones, but it's not anywhere near Hendrix to me.

+1, fantastic fuzz. Very versatile but not really up to the job for Hendrixy kinda stuff. Can get quite Gilmour -> QUOSTA IMO.

If you're after something for more vintagey tones why not grab a MJM London Fuzz. You can always try it alongside an OD pedal for more Stoner-ey tones.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

death by audio makes some wicked fuzz. as well as Zvex.

DBA might be a little too much for classic 60's, but i know Zvex has a wide range of fuzz boxes that can cover almost everything.
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
I've got a musket and it will do pretty much any muff tone you desire, but it won't cop Hendrixy fuzz face style tones. I don't know of any pedal that does both. If you want both then I'd get a Musket and a Fuzz Factory.
Quote by nightraven
dunno why people are recommending big muffs
not hendrixy or jesus and mary chain-y
if you've got $200 you can easily get the mxr 108 fuzz which is a very good and underrated silicon fuzzface and also something like the general guitar gadgets shin-ei fy2 fuzz clone which is THE jamc sound

Yeah bigmuffs =/= faces.
on the other hand big muffs do Sabbath pretty damn well
Quote by forsaknazrael
Fuzz Factory?

I actually meant to say Fuzz Face.

Is the Fuzz Factory a crappy pedal, though? I've never tried one. I'm more of a muff style guy myself. The demos I have heard sound like the typical crazy over the top fuzz face stuff to me.
Last edited by jimtaka at May 22, 2010,
Quote by jimtaka
I actually meant to say Fuzz Face.

Is the Fuzz Factory a crappy pedal, though? I've never tried one. I'm more of a muff style guy myself. The demos I have heard sound like the typical crazy over the top fuzz face stuff to me.

Fuzz factory isn't very easy to get a good tone out of and the gate tends to cut off any long notes :/ it's really trebley too
Don't get the Disaster Fuzz for 70's-era sounds. It's an evil, kinda unusable pedal. I love mine but it really is only practical for certain songs, and Hendrix' is not one of them.

I'd suggest the MJM London Fuzz, Fulltone 70' Fuzz, A Fuzz Face clone of some kind, Wattson Classic Electronics Fuzz, Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz, Way Huge Swollen Pickle, MXR Classic Fuzz, Hartman Vintage Germanium Fuzz, OxFuzz Gi Fuzz, etc.
I'm truly impressed with the Germanium London Fuzz. Hmmm... What exactly is the difference between Germanium & Silicon transistors sound-wise? Maybe I should start another thread!
forsaknazrael,

Thanks for pointing this out, I can hear it now. I'm really into these pedals, but there doesn't seem like a huge difference. The Germanium has a bit more of a growl to it, no?
That's probably it. I've read that you need a specific setup to make Germanium tubes effective, any truth to that? (eg. Can there be any pedals before it, etc...)
As said already, the general consensus is, silicon-based pedals have more aggression, more bite and less sensitivity.

The germanium versions, then, are warmer, have slightly less gain and are more responsive. They also tend to be chewery, imo, while the silicon ones are spikier.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at May 22, 2010,