hello ,

the problem is, i'v been playing guitar for 3 years now and i'm still learning and i want to keep improving my skill until i can perfect my technique to the fullest, and this year i'm finishing high school and my question is if you think that going to university and taking a degree in something that's not related to music will make a difference in the improvement of my skill.

i usually play 3-4 hours a day and i want to know from your experience if i'll be able to keep playing the same time when i'm in univ.

thanks.
i scream for ice cream
I play more at uni than I ever did before I came. I have plenty of time to practice loads, and although I don't use it, I could.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Last edited by monkey_dancer at May 22, 2010,
Quote by monkey_dancer
I play more at uni than I ever did before I came. I have plenty of time to practice loads, and although I don' use it, I could.

+1

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
You probably will, if your school has a music program you'll still have the opportunity to take lessons from a professor on the guitar if you want to, I know that's the case at my school. My girlfriend is a theater major/business minor, and she still plays guitar for a good hour or two and writes songs. My major is Music Industry, and I still have time to play (but I don't sleep much haha).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
You will see your priorities change, but you can always find time to play guitar.
you'll be fine. it will be just like highschool where there will be times you won't be able to practice, like during exams and midterms etc.
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Yea you'll still have time to play. I took a huge 18 credit philosophy/literature class, music theory, music history and I played trumpet in a jazz ensemble at university and I still had time to practice guitar as well. It's tougher if you're a really social person and like to have lots of time to relax and hang out and go out and do things though, or if you have a job on the side too.
It could depend on the program you go into, but you should still be able to find at least two hours a day to practice.
MATTERHORN
you will be too busy partying and FUCKing girls to play guitar. no lie.
The corners of your mouth feel dry and rather itchy, don't they?

(oh god, I just noticed this one) Your penis is never quite comfortable in its current position.

oh btw:
manual blinking activated
You probably won't be able to play 3-4 hours every day, but obviously you will still be able to improve playing less, you don't need to play remotely near to that much every day to improve.

This thread is stupid

/thread
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
You have far more free time in university than you did in Grade 12 (or year twelve for you brits). That is an absolute fact. In grade 12 I was lucky to get an hour of playing in a night. In university I regularly have a solid 6 hour block where I have literally nothing to do during the day. This time is rarely spent playing though If you are a social person, you wont even be thinking about guitar during the day at university. There are so many other things to do.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at May 22, 2010,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
You have far more free time in university than you did in Grade 12 (or year twelve for you brits). That is an absolute fact. In grade 12 I was lucky to get an hour of playing in a night. In university I regularly have a solid 6 hour block where I have literally nothing to do during the day.

Pretty much this.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
You have far more free time in university than you did in Grade 12 (or year twelve for you brits). That is an absolute fact. In grade 12 I was lucky to get an hour of playing in a night. In university I regularly have a solid 6 hour block where I have literally nothing to do during the day. This time is rarely spent playing though If you are a social person, you wont even be thinking about guitar during the day at university. There are so many other things to do.

An absolute fact that depends not only in the highschool you went to, but in the uni you'll be attending and the degree you'll be taking
Quote by kalnoky7
An absolute fact that depends not only in the highschool you went to, but in the uni you'll be attending and the degree you'll be taking

I'd be willing to put money on it. You will almost CERTAINLY have a much more stress free life in university than in highschool. Grade 12 is an EXTREMELY stressful year, what with applications, struggling to keep grades up, prom, graduation, all on top of everything you usually have to do.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
Grade 12 is an EXTREMELY stressful year, what with applications, struggling to keep grades up, prom, graduation, all on top of everything you usually have to do.

That depends on what you want to get out of your undergrad years. Those wanting to go to grad school will not have a stress-free time. It'll be more like two or three years equivalent to the grade 12 you're detailing.
MATTERHORN
I am taking a music tech course, i am quite glad i didn't chose just music as i took that at GCSE level and at college, so i wouldn't be learning much new, and i am not saying that in an arrogant way, i just meant that i wanted to learn the other side of things so that i know my shit when it comes to mixing, engineering, etc.

Anyway, if you take music, its a good way to meet and learn from other musicians, if you are taking another course, i am sure you will still meet a few music students and be able to jam with them as they have a pretty big presence (at least on my campus they do).
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.