I'm buying an ampeg svt450h off a guy I know, therefore I'll need to get myself a cab. Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent cab? this is my first head/cab setup, so I am pretty clueless as to what to get.
I play in a band (instrumental post rock stuff - www.myspace.com/gotalons) and we tour quite a lot in a rather small van, so it'll need to be pretty sturdy and the smaller the better in terms of fitting all the gear in the back!
I play a fender jazz bass MIM, and the only effect i use is an overdrive.
I guess for a price range i'd be willing to go up to about £500 but I'm pretty open to anything.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
If your willing to go for it, get a Markbass cab. Those things are light and compact, yet they seem to be quite loud while, in my numerous experiences, maintaining a fantastic tone.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
do you want just one loud ass cab ? or do you want one cab with the intention of getting a second one at a later time?
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
yeah a loud cab would be really good, i've been using the ampeg head with a peavey cab, but its always been really quiet.
Just go into a store with your head and tell them you're looking to buy a cab. Try out till you find the one. We can make suggestions till our faces go blue but when it comes down to it we all have different tastes.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
i would suggest the ampeg svt410HLF or the 610HLF if you can spring for it. it has more then enough headroom will take a beating and as far as single cab configurations they are one of the best sounding cabs for running only one out there. they run at 4 ohms so you will get yoru full 500W output of your head and with the porting they have more low end then many 4x10+1x15 configurations i have heard!
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Very late reply but I'm back in the search for a new cab. Thanks for the suggestions!

*EDIT* Does anyone know of where I could pick up acoustic cabs in the UK? they look like good value for money.
Last edited by spitfirehicks at Feb 6, 2011,
Quote by spitfirehicks
Very late reply but I'm back in the search for a new cab. Thanks for the suggestions!

*EDIT* Does anyone know of where I could pick up acoustic cabs in the UK? they look like good value for money.

The acoustic brand is sold exclusively by Guitar Center, because the brand is owned by GC.
Quote by Skeletomania
The acoustic brand is sold exclusively by Guitar Center, because the brand is owned by GC.

Ah, my bad.

I'm intrigued by this - Hartke AK115 Cab http://www.gak.co.uk/en/hartke-ak115-cab/25159 just as it seems to be what I'm looking for and I've heard good things on Hartke. Can anyone back me up on this?
My thinking behind this is I prefer the deeper sound a 1X15 will give me as opposed to a 4x10.
SWR cabs are really great. That'd be my pick. I use a 2x10, and 1x15 setup for my rig.
Crackers! Crackers! But no squeezy cheese!! You've broken my secret elbow!!!