Page 1 of 2
hi guys, im fed up with buying low-mid range guitars thinking they will do fine and i need to sort myself out with a new guitar of some sort.
im not brandist, i will gladly consider any brand,

what i am looking for
-electric guitar between £600-£1500
-relatively easy to obtain in the u.k
-i enjoy strat lp and explorer shapes,
-im looking for versatility aswell, i dont think a standard fender strat or gibbo lp will do versatility well enough.
-a floyd rose, or equivelant, or a non locking whammy, with good range and stability.
- preferably HSH or HH with a tap
-rosewood fingerboard
- any brand, any suggestions accepted. the instrument dosent have to fit the specs entirely.

if anyone could suggest anything it would be fantastic, also it dosent have to be top end of the budget, thats just my very stretched maximum!

i guess playing styles are in order.
ill just list the bands i like to jam along to
metallica, megadeth,pink floyd,clapton, greenday, blink 182, srv, Jimi hendrix, santana, vai , zep , G&R, placebo, whitesnake, ozzy, bon jovi. ratm, white stripes.
peter green, aerosmith e.t.c

a small note :P..my amp is a 50w jcm 900 4150 and im very happy with it.

Thanks in advance EG forum. im really stumped, there are so many guitars out there.....
prs custom 24
esp horizon with seymour duncans

or u could just get a custom made guitar. i think with that much money, u can get one.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Some kind of ESP or Ibanez ?
Guitars :
Washburn Stealth Pro TransBlack
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Fender GDO 300 Acoustic

Pedals :
Digi tech RP100
Boss Metal Core
Boss Mega Dist
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
MXR 10 band EQ

Amp : Blackstar HT5
you could probably get something custom-made with that kind of budget.

if you don't want to go down that route, i dunno, vigier, suhr?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TheQuailman
^+1

I read the OP and immediately thought Vigier. Maybe Fender Custom Shop stuff will also be avialable for that money.

dunno, i thought the prices on the fender stuff have been going up a lot lately. even the avris are now well over a grand (and I thought they were too dear when you could pick them up for a grand ). Worth a look, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Or check out the ghostfret if it ever gets built...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Real quick of the top of my head, my favorites right now would be...
PRS Hollowbody, Swamp Ash Narrowfield, Custom 24
Anderson T Classic, Drop Top, Bulldog
Suhr Classic S, T
Grosh Hollow Bent Top Custom, Electrajet (would kill for an electrajet), Set Neck Custom
Colling 360, 290, I-35, City Limits
G&L ASAT
MotorAve Lemans
Tyler Mongoose
Gibson Johnny A, 336

That's all I can think of right now.

Sorry you're in the UK . But there are international distributors so shouldn't be an issue.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
If I was looking at the top end of your budget I'd be looking at some sort of Caparison. Not the easiest guitars to get in the UK but they are certainly available. Try following this link and see what you think:

http://www.cranesmusicstore.com/electricguitarscaparison-c-86_93.html

Caparisons start a little over your maximum at about £1650 but they're an incredible guitar. If I had the money, that's what I'd be getting.

Another option at the top end of your budget would be a Music Man

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=10700

If I was wanting a versatile guitar at the start of your price range I'd be looking at a PRS SE of some sort. I'd suggest either a Custom 24

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=77482

or a PRS SE Paul Allender

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=73832

Last suggestion would be a Jackson SL3 if you can still find one, which would be about £800 or a Jackson SL2H, which would be at the very top of your budget.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Drake22

thats the ESP horizon i was talking about. the seymour duncans are very nice and versatile. it also got a 3 way switch with push pull coil tap.

u could also go for a used prs custom 24.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Prs-Custom-24-/160436356355?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item255ac08503

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRS-custom-24-trem-ocean-blue-/160435148186?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item255aae159a
Guitars
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
i heard good stuff about this dude. he makes custom guitars.
http://tcellisguitars.com/
Guitars
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Quote by AcousticMirror
Real quick of the top of my head, my favorites right now would be...
PRS Hollowbody, Swamp Ash Narrowfield, Custom 24
Anderson T Classic, Drop Top, Bulldog
Suhr Classic S, T
Grosh Hollow Bent Top Custom, Electrajet (would kill for an electrajet), Set Neck Custom
Colling 360, 290, I-35, City Limits
G&L ASAT
MotorAve Lemans
Tyler Mongoose
Gibson Johnny A, 336

That's all I can think of right now.

Sorry you're in the UK . But there are international distributors so shouldn't be an issue.

prices will be the problem (even used), not the availability... off the top of my head, the only two there under budget would likely be the suhr (and that's if you go pro series) and maybe the G&L. *Maybe* the grosch if you get lucky (as they're not too well known, sometimes you can get a steal on them and other higher-end but unknown stuff). EDIT: now that I think of it I think I'm getting grosch and melancon confused.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well grosh's start at 1800 us here.
What's the deal with vat and import and stuff on something like an Anderson?
The process is that the dealers carry stuff in stock but you can also send in a spec sheet to a dealer and have them one off a guitar for you anytime.
Considering the fact that you enjoy les paul shape guitars and others posted in your post, i will definately recommend this.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/80913

It's a ESP LTD Deluexe EC1000 FR.

Les paul, Rose wood, FR, EMGs(the 60 81 combo can get really versatile range) and 24 frets.

Although the abalone looks really shitty though.

Hope it helps.
Quote by AcousticMirror
The process is that the dealers carry stuff in stock but you can also send in a spec sheet to a dealer and have them one off a guitar for you anytime.

Dunno about VAT in the UK - but import tax is 27% to the EU already. Add VAT and shipping and the price goes up quite a bit. Ordering stuff from the States is pretty much out of the question because of that.

Suhr guitars pop up often enough used. Tom Andersons, too. Otherwise local builders are probably better.

Haar has a good rep and their Teles and Strats are 1500€ new. So I think a slightly customised model with HSS or HSH should be well within 1500 quid.

EDIT: Luk is probably worth a shot as well. Only played one so far. I was pleased (I am hard to please).

Links:
http://www.haarguitars.nl/haarguitar/parts.html
http://www.luk-guitars.de/
Last edited by TheQuailman at May 22, 2010,
It seems like a suhr with a few fancy options runs about 1800 and an anderson with fancy options runs about 2000-2100 queen's pences.

Not to bad actually. If currency convertor is believed that's right around 2800-3000. Minimal VAT and taxes actually.
We're working with a 1500 limit though.

They're rare used and new is not an option. I'm still saying Haar and Luk are worth checking out. Simple guitars with no fancy heckmeck, but tone and playability are top notch.

Quote by Dave_Mc
dunno, i thought the prices on the fender stuff have been going up a lot lately. even the avris are now well over a grand (and I thought they were too dear when you could pick them up for a grand ). Worth a look, though.

True... they can be used for okay prices used though. Ebay's full of them.
Last edited by TheQuailman at May 22, 2010,
^ is that a good sign or a bad sign?

Quote by AcousticMirror

you pay VAT on everything you buy here except for food (and even then you pay it on restaurants, chocolate etc.... anything even vaguely luxurious) and books, and children's clothes (under the age of 14? i think i read that in the paper recently), maybe your first house (i.e. if you have one house you don't pay VAT, if you have more than one there are extra taxes... i think. I'm not certain). It's 17.5%.

You pay customs on anything which isn't made in the EU. It varies, but is around 3-4% on guitars. If you import, you also pay VAT and customs on the shipping.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 22, 2010,
No but I'm saying I was looking at the spec's and it would be the exact same converted you know? Like 2k pounds = about 2800 which is what the guitar would cost new.

The thing with Anderson and Suhr is that if the dealer does what they are supposed to do you can just order what you want so you can drop the price down to 1500 by custom ordering. Grabbing used would be another option of course.

It's like how no bmws come here with cloth interior and manual windows but you can get it as an option. RIGHT.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Ibanez Prestige S....?

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/79450

Would leave you money for pick ups of your choice with the wiring config that you want?

This is the first thing that came to my mind too. Great quality and versatile, and not pushing your budget like most of the suggestions are.

It seems to be a natural thing to do for most people to suggest things that are pushing the top end of the budget!
^^ yeah, i know what you're saying min, just it's still over budget

Quote by TheQuailman
^Dunno, I like mine.

hehe
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hey guys, anything over 1500 is way to high haha, 1500 is a stretch to the major degree anyway!
i like the look n sounds of so far, the ibby pretige s, the prs, but maybe a lower model, the ESP horizon looks fantastic, i like the look of the jk sl3 for the 2 singlecoils,
i couldnt find much on the fender custom shop stuff, the website is a dog to navigate!
i have a bit of time before my purchase, som im going to be trawling ebay, looking at a lot of revies, and homefully some comparison reviews,
are there no form of classic explorer shape with a FR or hsh or anything?
drake that thing look sliek it could take my eye out! haha dont mean to be picky but i think its too spiky a little. XD i have seen, the gibson shred ex, ( going for a format im used to as in black explorer with some sort of trem and emgs) but its top end budget and the bridge dosent look great.
Kian i think a lp studio wouldnt be versatile enough, im really lookign for, a trem, or a singlecoil, preferably both.
Tremolo , i think we can get from Custom shop or something ??
pickups are always changeable ...
or go for a Jackson Custom ,they are cheap
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=08061411040618

rar so pointy

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=09090911060129

so classy

I'm all out. Bug dave or qual until they give you some euro based brands.
You could use thomas.de to check euro prices. I dunno how taxes or anything like that work....

Imo getting a les paul studio wouldn't really do what you're looking for which is to get out of the mid range guitar rut.
Page 1 of 2