Alright, iv been playing classic rock and blues for a bit and after a Steel Panther show last night id really like to play some 80's styled metal. Iv got the gear in my sig, but I need like a Marshall head or something. What are my options in this department? I have to have something tube, but I need that high gain scream my fender cant do. Iv also got an RP500 so if you know of any patches I could download please let me know(links if possible).

PS I know im packing in alot and going off topic, but also maybe song suggestions? Something semi easy but real bad ass.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
How much are you looking to spend? If you want marshall look for a Used JCM2000 DSL there pretty cheap on the used market, come in a 40 watt 1x12, 50 watt and 100 watt head. these can be found on ebay for like $600. If you want a little more modern sounding amp check out the bugera 6260 or 6262.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
marshall heads and mesa heads are the way to go
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
80's metal? How heavy? Stuff like Metallica?

Also what's your price range & are you willing to buy something used?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by teamhex
PS I know im packing in alot and going off topic, but also maybe song suggestions? Something semi easy but real bad ass.

Iron Maiden - Aces High
or some other Iron Maiden/Judas Priest/Motorhead. Real bad-ass riffs, but easy to learn.
Quote by Yngwi3
80's metal? How heavy? Stuff like Metallica?

Also what's your price range & are you willing to buy something used?

God no....I cant stand Metallica. They made some great tunes, but I got well away from them after the Napster thing. They haven't done anything awesome in awhile(My Opinion that is).
More like GnR, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Dio, Poison, and maybe even some KISS.

Quote by matt s
How much are you looking to spend? If you want marshall look for a Used JCM2000 DSL there pretty cheap on the used market, come in a 40 watt 1x12, 50 watt and 100 watt head. these can be found on ebay for like $600. If you want a little more modern sounding amp check out the bugera 6260 or 6262.

I wouldn't say price matters, but I haven't even gotten into the playing style yet, so I have alot to learn. I just want something that can do some high gain sounding stuff. My cab does 8m and 16s so anything that works and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Who knows the stuff I have now might be able to do that, I just haven't messed with it to much.
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Last edited by teamhex at May 22, 2010,
if you already have a fender to cover clean tones, a peavey windsor head (plus random non-peavey cab) would work on the cheap. depends on how much you're willing to spend.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Jcm900 or bugera 1990 maybe? Sound good to anyone else?
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by CrimsonBizzare
Iron Maiden - Aces High
or some other Iron Maiden/Judas Priest/Motorhead. Real bad-ass riffs, but easy to learn.

If you play Maiden at the full speed and do all the lead parts, its tough, trust me. Dave Murray is a really impressive guitarist.
Quote by teamhex
God no....I cant stand Metallica. They made some great tunes, but I got well away from them after the Napster thing. They haven't done anything awesome in awhile(My Opinion that is).

I wouldn't say price matters, but I haven't even gotten into the playing style yet, so I have alot to learn. I just want something that can do some high gain sounding stuff. My cab does 8m and 16s so anything that works and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Who knows the stuff I have now might be able to do that, I just haven't messed with it to much.

i like your style. props for liking good music
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Jcm 800?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
The Plextortion sounds great, so that would sound pretty good then?
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Quote by bi-ah!
i like your style. props for liking good music

you make it sound like there aren't tens of thousands of people who like the same bands... It shouldn't be such a revelation...
Quote by teamhex

Yay KISS!

...couldn't resist

The Windsor is as good a place as any to start looking - contrary to what you've said you're not really looking for anything particularly high gain, certailnly not by today's standards. You're looking for midrangey, marshally roar and the Windsor does a pretty good fist of that, pair it up with a decent overdrive pedal and you'll have pretty much any of those tones covered and more besides.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
JCM800 or a Soldano. Did anybody use anything else?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
JCM800 or a Soldano. Did anybody use anything else?

I think a few used some of the early Mark series Mesas, but pretty much everyone used a Hot rodded JCM 800 i think.

I'd suggest that its your best bet if you want that 80s metal tone
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
You have plenty of fine amplifiers to choose from. Marshall and Mesa are the standards for 80's metal, but Blackstar, Bugera and Peavey can all do it, too.

You don't get into metal. It gets into you.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Arterial
you make it sound like there aren't tens of thousands of people who like the same bands... It shouldn't be such a revelation...

I think its more of a

"Hey I hate Metallica too."

More then a "I like those bands, I like your style!"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Definitely look into Mötley Crüe as well.

For sure man

Why are these things so expensive? Is there a difference between them and my Rp500's effect setup? That Triple Wreck Distortion sounds great. With the EQ it seems to do all kinds of effects. I even watched a vid of it on single coils, both sounded great. I guess im going to go for one of those.
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Last edited by teamhex at May 23, 2010,
Quote by Gundamnitpete
Jcm900 or bugera 1990 maybe? Sound good to anyone else?

80's metal is my area of music, and my bugera 1990 nails it perfectely. word of advice, 80's metal =your gonna need good reverb, delay, chorus, flanger and phaser also. And on top of a marshall style tube amp you will probably want an od pedal, such as a tubescreamer
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
Last edited by camaross427 at May 23, 2010,