Alright, so my laptop has a bit of a lag problem. I'm using my Digitech RP250 as a digital interface to my computer. It goes Guitar>RP250>USB port on my laptop. The problem is, there's a little delay from when i hit a not on my guitar to when I hear it coming out my speakers. I've already adjusted the sample rates on both my speakers and my USB input for my RP250, but there's still a little bit of lag.
My question is, would adding additional RAM to my laptop help this lag problem? Or would it be fixed by something else?
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by simpleben09
Alright, so my laptop has a bit of a lag problem. I'm using my Digitech RP250 as a digital interface to my computer. It goes Guitar>RP250>USB port on my laptop. The problem is, there's a little delay from when i hit a not on my guitar to when I hear it coming out my speakers. I've already adjusted the sample rates on both my speakers and my USB input for my RP250, but there's still a little bit of lag.
My question is, would adding additional RAM to my laptop help this lag problem? Or would it be fixed by something else?

are the speakers connected to the out of the interface? if you just let it run trough your computer you'll allways have latency, normal soundcards aren't designed for ultra low latency

so basicly in whatever program you use make sure the interface is selected both as input and output

edit: oh it isn't an actual recording interface, nope ur pretty much screwed then!

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
Last edited by numinis at May 22, 2010,
Ram would not help this situation, the best bet would be to upgrade your soundcard (if possible) or get a dedicated interface.
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
Quote by numinis
are the speakers connected to the out of the interface? if you just let it run trough your computer you'll allways have latency, normal soundcards aren't designed for ultra low latency

so basicly in whatever program you use make sure the interface is selected both as input and output

Ah. So you're saying I should have another output going from my RP250 to a speaker or amp of some sort and use that as monitoring instead of my computer speakers and/or headphones?
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
I never really understood the reasons for a USB device unless it is a "Foot switch" pedal thing
Why not just get a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch converter and plug your guitar directly into your laptop? Then download and install the ASIO4All Driver for delay issues.
hmm ok well i had RP250 a couple of months ago and i didnt have the problem you are describing. again i was going the same way you did
now im doing it with my RP355

however i gotta note that i am using RP's output to the amp as my monitor and does here all the sound coming from PC via my guitar amp! the sound won't be the best but well that does the job and pretty well... for me..

check out my songs ive recorded this way in last.fm the link is in my sig

again getting asio4all would be a good way if that doesn't help... yeah i am using Asio all the time so i dont know how would RP behave without it
Quote by kcorkcar
I never really understood the reasons for a USB device unless it is a "Foot switch" pedal thing
Why not just get a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch converter and plug your guitar directly into your laptop? Then download and install the ASIO4All Driver for delay issues.

you'll never get close to the latency/quality a real recording interface, latency usually isn't an issue in everyday applications such as listening to a song, watching a movie or playing a video game, so they aren't designed for it. but when it comes to instruments, you don't want a latency of over 20ms.

I've experienced it first hand, I used to run trough a creative sound blaster thingy, which isn't the cheapest of soundscards. The latency I got on this was 185ms, which is WAY to much if you want to listen to what you're recording, or if you want to use guitar rig or similar programs. then I bought myself a recording interface, mine has about 20ms delay which is a HUGE difference!

long story short: if you want to use guitar rig/amplitube/listen to your recordings while recording you'll need a soundcard which is designed for low latency applications, wether its a usb/firewire/pci solution shouldn't matter if you only use 1 input at a time

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
You've changed the sample rate, have you changed the buffer size at all?

TM
Quote by numinis
you'll never get close to the latency/quality a real recording interface, latency usually isn't an issue in everyday applications such as listening to a song, watching a movie or playing a video game, so they aren't designed for it. but when it comes to instruments, you don't want a latency of over 20ms.

I've experienced it first hand, I used to run trough a creative sound blaster thingy, which isn't the cheapest of soundscards. The latency I got on this was 185ms, which is WAY to much if you want to listen to what you're recording, or if you want to use guitar rig or similar programs. then I bought myself a recording interface, mine has about 20ms delay which is a HUGE difference!

long story short: if you want to use guitar rig/amplitube/listen to your recordings while recording you'll need a soundcard which is designed for low latency applications, wether its a usb/firewire/pci solution shouldn't matter if you only use 1 input at a time

Thats the same Soudcard that I have. I know what you mean when it comes to latency. Mines like 15ms or something like that after finding the ASIO4All Driver
Dedicated Interface is your ONLY option.
Seriously
Get one.

I usually HATE to tell people to buy things as I live by the sharing is caring code, but since I won't be robbing Guitar Center for you, you're gonna just have to go buy an interface yourself. Wait, save up the money, get it, it'll be worth it.

I have a complete crap interface, and I run at about 12ms to 6ms depending on how many VST's I have up, but interfaces are investments, don't slack on shelling out more money, usually in this categoery more money does = more quality, but not ALWAYS, so check the reviews.